Ready to Strike?

The past 5 years has been real weird in how the company operates. Surepost has increased especially the sizes and weight, lockers put out on routes, hired a ton of new drivers at a lower pay scale, pvds introduced, map nav, Access Points, dress code etc. All of those are implemented in my opinion to be able to operate if there is a strike.

Surepost
An easy option to get boxes somewhat delivered, turn 100 stops into one. As well as put blame on USPS if it gets delayed.

Lockers
Same as Surepost in getting off multiple stops at just one.

Mass hiring
Cheaper wage to pay, not as informed of union and their rights. Sometimes not enough routes so they have to do pt work especially for the 22.4s so they are hungry to drive. High percentage they will still work during a strike.

PVDs
These should have never been allowed. At our building they would wait for the drivers to launch and then they would pull thier cars in to load.

Map Nav
I know it’s not accurate at times but this helps new drivers/pvds.

Access Points
Send agains reduced to one stop. Acts as a locker but more and oversized volume can be left there.

Dress Code
Beards, hair, and tattoos. Attracts new hires. At our center they have gotten real relaxed with enforcing the dress code as well as with other stuff. They don’t want to scare anyone away.

I don’t know it’s like solitary confinement in these trucks at times and have time to think. Older drivers have told me it use to be a great company to work for. Until they went public with the stock. Showing Profits is the most important thing. Which all of the above help with. It’s kind of scary. It won’t be perfect but those things will make it possible to operate and save money.

DELACROIX

In the Spirit of Honore' Daumier
The past 5 years has been real weird in how the company operates. Surepost has increased especially the sizes and weight, lockers put out on routes, hired a ton of new drivers at a lower pay scale, pvds introduced, map nav, Access Points, dress code etc. All of those are implemented in my opinion to be able to operate if there is a strike.

Surepost
An easy option to get boxes somewhat delivered, turn 100 stops into one. As well as put blame on USPS if it gets delayed.

Lockers
Same as Surepost in getting off multiple stops at just one.

Mass hiring
Cheaper wage to pay, not as informed of union and their rights. Sometimes not enough routes so they have to do pt work especially for the 22.4s so they are hungry to drive. High percentage they will still work during a strike.

PVDs
These should have never been allowed. At our building they would wait for the drivers to launch and then they would pull thier cars in to load.

Map Nav
I know it’s not accurate at times but this helps new drivers/pvds.

Access Points
Send agains reduced to one stop. Acts as a locker but more and oversized volume can be left there.

Dress Code
Beards, hair, and tattoos. Attracts new hires. At our center they have gotten real relaxed with enforcing the dress code as well as with other stuff. They don’t want to scare anyone away.

I don’t know it’s like solitary confinement in these trucks at times and have time to think. Older drivers have told me it use to be a great company to work for. Until they went public with the stock. Showing Profits is the most important thing. Which all of the above help with. It’s kind of scary. It won’t be perfect but those things will make it possible to operate and save money.

The Company has adapted to the what is going on with every major corporation in America. There was at one time a thing called "Customer Service" at UPS, now we are reducing our service levels to the rest of the Common Couriers. I do not know if they have any money back guarantees any more, even with our premium services, more so since the pandemic. Customers inquiring about their packages now have to deal with a 1-800 number and representatives that do not know the delivery system and most of them are outsourced to other countries, remember they got rid of it's own Customer Service departments and representatives a couple of years ago.

The Company got rid of the Local HR Departments, now we have to rely on our local operational managers when we have a problem and outsourced third party venues. I was never a fan of the HR departments when we had them, it was just developed for the sole purpose of a buffer between Corporate responsibility and liabilities associated with running "the business of doing business".

The advantage that UPS still has is it's high seniority UNION workforce, they are truly the ones that are providing the service, they have more vested in this Company and deal face to face with our Customer Base. Sure you can hire Joe Blow off the street but generally they come with a lot of baggage, a lot of our past hiring was based on young college students who were not afraid of hard work, that generation is gone. That is why UPS will never attempt to "Close Shop" and try Scabs, the liability would be staggering, right now they are walking out in our building new part timers for thief, and half of those are part time supervisors.

These access points and even the UPS Stores need to show a profit also, the Company over the years have been reducing the Buildings Customer Counters by adjusting hours and have the 1-800 number redirect our Customers to those places for pick ups and shipping, now there is talk about closing every Customer Counter in America and run everything through those third party entities. Sure it is "Subcontracting".. The timing of these proposed closings in curiosity, considering we are near peak season and the Contract Talks starting afterwards. Is it an attempt to bypass the Strike Lines, I do not think so, the picket lines were mobile back in "97" and there was hardly any or no UPS Stores or access points present. Most of those businesses do not want a work stoppage or a hint of one period, they are barely hanging on now with our economy.

I guess the Company and the Union have a "private understanding" with these PVD's, they do pay Union Dues during peak season and will not work if any of our drivers are on lay off. I was at the latest proposal meeting and one of the proposals was creating a two team box truck over 70 and irregular route designed to properly care for those premium packages, they have a lot of surcharges. It would benefit the customers, prevent damages and clear space on our package cars, nothing funnier then to see a PVD driver trying to stuff a 140 Mattress in the back of his brand new Honda Civic.

Last edited:

I have been lurking

Tired hubrat
The Company has adapted to the what is going on with every major corporation in America. There was at one time a thing called "Customer Service" at UPS, now we are reducing our service levels to the rest of the Common Couriers. I do not know if they have any money back guarantees any more, even with our premium services, more so since the pandemic. Customers inquiring about their packages now have to deal with a 1-800 number and representatives that do not know the delivery system and most of them are outsourced to other countries, remember they got rid of it's own Customer Service departments and representatives a couple of years ago.

The Company got rid of the Local HR Departments, now we have to rely on our local operational managers when we have a problem and outsourced third party venues. I was never a fan of the HR departments when we had them, it was just developed for the sole purpose of a buffer between Corporate responsibility and liabilities associated with running "the business of doing business".

The advantage that UPS still has is it's high seniority UNION workforce, they are truly the ones that are providing the service, they have more vested in this Company and deal face to face with our Customer Base. Sure you can hire Joe Blow off the street but generally they come with a lot of baggage, a lot of our past hiring was based on young college students who were not afraid of hard work, that generation is gone. That is why UPS will never attempt to "Close Shop" and try Scabs, the liability would be staggering, right now they are walking out in our building new part timers for thief, and half of those are part time supervisors.

These access points and even the UPS Stores need to show a profit also, the Company over the years have been reducing the Buildings Customer Counters by adjusting hours and have the 1-800 number redirect our Customers to those places for pick ups and shipping, now there is talk about closing every Customer Counter in America and run everything through those third party entities. Sure it is "Subcontracting".. The timing of these proposed closings in curiosity, considering we are near peak season and the Contract Talks starting afterwards. Is it an attempt to bypass the Strike Lines, I do not think so, the picket lines were mobile back in "97" and there was hardly any or no UPS Stores or access points present. Most of those businesses do not want a work stoppage or a hint of one period, they are barely hanging on now with our economy.

I guess the Company and the Union have a "private understanding" with these PVD's, they do pay Union Dues during peak season and will not work if any of our drivers are on lay off. I was at the latest proposal meeting and one of the proposals was creating a two team box truck over 70 and irregular route designed to properly care for those premium packages, they have a lot of surcharges. It would benefit the customers, prevent damages and clear space on our package cars, nothing funnier then to see a PVD driver trying to stuff a 140 Mattress in the back of his brand new Honda Civic.
It was called UPS Freight

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
You get what you pay for.

Yep.

1665759337351.png

tech209

I tell people who always asks about us going on strike that anyone can deliver packages but wait until miss pick up services on big accounts that start getting pissed because that’s what separates us to everyone else….we can get air,ground and pick up services done all by the same person

People also ask well can’t they just use people to just deliver and another group to just pick up…..yeah good luck with that we don’t even got enough trucks as it is right now

What'dyabringmetoday???

For some reason.... you seem to think I run the whole show ?

:biggrin:
Nope- but you seem to act like the "union" does no wrong. And you often bad mouth the rank-and-file. Fact is- PVD should not be allowed. It 100% violates Article 6. I just think you don't really care if UPS uses PVD's. Much like our "leader"- it doesn't affect YOUR paycheck...

What'dyabringmetoday???

I have never said that.

If your impression of me.... is ridiculing the membership for not participating ?

That seems like a good motivational tool to get involved.
If you say so. I believe there are better ways. But we all know deep, down that the IBT actually does NOT want the membership to be involved. Might find out about the shady dealings...