Ready to Strike?

DELACROIX

In the Spirit of Honore' Daumier
You are correct. Especially in the ones that pay quite a bit less than other ones

Glad you brought that up...

Case in Point: We had a 50 year/70 year old full time member that retired under the 2018 contract in 2020...Guess what his retirement was?

a. 4,900

b. 7,500

c. 2,200

Trucker Clock

All over my first proposal too.

Instead of attacking, put forth proposals. Do you not know how to bargain?

I'm not attacking and yes I know how to bargain.

If the Union came in with a "first proposal" that you quoted, they would get laughed right out of the room and would not be taken seriously. And that was not your "proposal." That is what you expect the company to give.

The first proposal has to be realistic, in order to get the Company to take you serious.

Redtag

Part on order, ok to drive
"the results of member participation" are the result of "Poor Leadership".

When leadership ignores requests for help and looks the other way when confronted with any of our member's concerns or questions you got a problem.

We all seen the lack of Union Participation over the years, particularly since Carey was ousted 24 years ago. When you do not believe you have the same opportunities to improve your future like other members in our Union because of your classification or what conference you are under because those on the negotiation committees are looking out for number one or are appeasing their voter base for the next local or international election expect a compromise.

We have to get back to the purpose of Collective Bargaining, everybody has to have the same opportunities for improvements...just not the selected few.

Way too many members are being left behind to fend for themselves...and you don't think the Company sees that and will use it to drive a wedge into that wound in order to further weaken the membership..

I think a lot of times the quality of the local stewards makes a huge difference in satisfaction with the union. Sadly, I have seen some really bad stewards that are only in it for personal favor and bad BAs that back the bad steward. Most members are not going to take it beyond the BA and become disaffected.

Unfortunately when new employees see this it's hard to convince them that participation is worth it.

The Brown Shadow

-No forced OT(normal day is 8 not 9.5, need over 8 list with double pay penalty)
-Catchup raise to $50 driver $25 Pt, then start yearly raises.
-minimum 25% increase in pensions
-full benefits for retirees(when we need them the most)
-no PVDs
-no 22.4s
-no driver start times after 8:30am

Damnit this will take forever. Let’s try it this way. Go back in every contract since 1997 and get back everything we have given them.
UPS would call a strike under those terms and close up shop. Your terms would essentially end UPS as we know it.
OT has been a part of UPS going back at least 50 years. There was no contract where we had straight 8 hour days as the expected norm.

MostHelpNeeded

UPS would call a strike under those terms and close up shop. Your terms would essentially end UPS as we know it.
OT has been a part of UPS going back at least 50 years. There was no contract where we had straight 8 hour days as the expected norm.
I think it's more of the start times then the forced OT that gets to people. This 9:30 -10 AM leave building is ridiculous. Getting home around 8PM shouldn't have to be the norm. We should be on the road before 8. You know? Follow the sun? If we started at 7:30, I bet most wouldn't care about an hour or two of OT.

Oh, and another random thing lol. The free water bottles is nice, but I say free Gatorade. I want to see pallets of it. If it wasn't for this job, the work we do, and the times we do it, I wouldn't need to drink so much of it. :censored2: adds up. They say we need electrolytes at the PCM's, well where are they UPS?

Pullman Brown

The employer who, by his own ineptitude, uses labor in such a way that it does not come up to doing what it is capable of doing, would nevertheless be required to pay the kind of wage which labor is intended to provide. However, if labor is utilized properly in accordance with its natural purpose, and the employer pays a wage which does not provide for labor's livelihood, then he violates commutative justice. Finally, an industry which, even under normal circumstances is not in a position to pay wages corresponding to what wages are supposed to accomplish, is lacking in economic justification. This means that the requisite consumer demand is lacking, and such an industry no longer has a place in the pattern of satisfying normal human wants.

Fr. Heinrich Pesch

Iamsomebody

I think it's more of the start times then the forced OT that gets to people. This 9:30 -10 AM leave building is ridiculous. Getting home around 8PM shouldn't have to be the norm. We should be on the road before 8. You know? Follow the sun? If we started at 7:30, I bet most wouldn't care about an hour or two of OT.
How about no. Overtime is overtime I don't care how early I start. In fact I'd be even more pissed about having to wake almost 2 hours earlier everyday.

Oh, and another random thing lol. The free water bottles is nice, but I say free Gatorade. I want to see pallets of it. If it wasn't for this job, the work we do, and the times we do it, I wouldn't need to drink so much of it. :censored2: adds up. They say we neeelectrolytes at the PCM's, well where are they UPS?
They pay us enough that we can afford to buy our own beverages

Geezus

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.

Oh, and another random thing lol. The free water bottles is nice, but I say free Gatorade. I want to see pallets of it. If it wasn't for this job, the work we do, and the times we do it, I wouldn't need to drink so much of it. :censored2: adds up. They say we need electrolytes at the PCM's, well where are they UPS?
How about a baby bottle to suck on while you drive? Maybe the supe can come and burp you later too.

Whither

Scofflaw
If the Union came in with a "first proposal" that you quoted, they would get laughed right out of the room and would not be taken seriously. And that was not your "proposal." That is what you expect the company to give.

The first proposal has to be realistic, in order to get the Company to take you serious.

The company would also "laugh us out of the room" if we proposed getting rid of all no-strike clauses and more or less mandatory arbitration for deadlocked grieves. Sometimes laughter is a guise of fear. "You can't be serious!" But enough of us could be serious ...

DELACROIX

In the Spirit of Honore' Daumier
The company would also "laugh us out of the room" if we proposed getting rid of all no-strike clauses and more or less mandatory arbitration for deadlocked grieves. Sometimes laughter is a guise of fear. "You can't be serious!" But enough of us could be serious ...

When, who and how did those “No Strike Clauses” get into our Contracts?

Was it right after the “97” strike... old enough to remember those occasional 24 hour strike notifications pinned to the Union Bulletin Boards back in the 90’s...

MostHelpNeeded

They pay us enough that we can afford to buy our own beverages

Geezus
Now that's no way to think lol. What they pay us doesn't matter, an increase in fluid intake is required for the job. They specifically tell us in PCMs that water alone isn't enough, we need to replace the lost salt.

I know it's not realistic, and was mostly tongue in cheek, but seriously...that mentality is like UPS saying to buy your own hand truck if you don't want to carry so much...I mean, after all, they pay us enough.

Now that's no way to think lol. What they pay us doesn't matter, an increase in fluid intake is required for the job. They specifically tell us in PCMs that water alone isn't enough, we need to replace the lost salt.

I know it's not realistic, and was mostly tongue in cheek, but seriously...that mentality is like UPS saying to buy your own hand truck if you don't want to carry so much...I mean, after all, they pay us enough.
Not matter what job you have , we are all adults and we should know who much food and water we need to bring to work