Real COLA

542thruNthru

Sorry just curious. Contact ends 2023. It will more than likely be a 5 year contract. I doubt it'll be more than a $1 raise a year... If it's not what's your game plan? Strike till it's $2-$3 dollars a year?

Just curious what we are getting at here with this inflation talk. I ask because it's not like every job is jumping $10 every couple years in pay and we also seem to laugh when PTers say they should start at more. How do you see the public responding? I imagine it'll be just like the FTers when PTers say they should make more.

Just my opinion.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
No matter what is promised , P/Ts will always get shafted.
Because there may be many of them, but never as an united voting block.

35years

Gravy route
Sorry just curious. Contact ends 2023. It will more than likely be a 5 year contract. I doubt it'll be more than a $1 raise a year... If it's not what's your game plan? Strike till it's $2-$3 dollars a year?

Just curious what we are getting at here with this inflation talk. I ask because it's not like every job is jumping $10 every couple years in pay and we also seem to laugh when PTers say they should start at more. How do you see the public responding? I imagine it'll be just like the FTers when PTers say they should make more.

Just my opinion.
Well, actually wages in the USA have been rising faster than ours for years on a percentage basis..
We may be used to less than a dollar an hour increases, but it is time to wake up. 5% wage increases have been the norm outside of UPS for a decade.

Wages in the United States increased 9.16 percent in December of 2021 over the same month in the previous year.

$39.67+ .76 June 2022+$1 August= $41.43 at contract time.
Dollar yearly increases would yield:
$42.43 2023; $43.43 2024...$47.43 in 2018
Inflation is currently running at 8%-9.5%
EVEN at 5% inflation $41.43 in 2022 should increase to $55.52 in 2018

$47.43 vs $55.52.
A difference of $8 an hour in buying power. $20,000 less a year. Would you do this job for $20k less per year than you make now?

Last edited:

542thruNthru

Well, actually wages in the USA have been rising faster than ours for years on a percentage basis..
We may be used to less than a dollar an hour increases, but it is time to wake up. 5% wage increases have been the norm outside of UPS for a decade.

Wages in the United States increased 9.16 percent in December of 2021 over the same month in the previous year.

$39.67+ .76 June 2022+$1 August= $41.43 at contract time.
Dollar yearly increases would yield:
$42.43 2023; $43.43 2024...$47.43 in 2018
Inflation is currently running at 8%-9.5%
EVEN at 5% inflation $41.43 in 2022 should increase to $55.52 in 2018

$47.43 vs $55.52.
A difference of $8 an hour in buying power. $20,000 less a year. Would you do this job for $20k less per year than you make now?
Not what I've seen but I'll believe you. Still my question stands. What's the game plan? We have this inflation talk almost every contract. Granted it's much worse than it was before but again your saying 2-3 dollars plus a year in raises.

Question. Have you calculated pension and healthcare into these numbers? Just curious.

35years

Gravy route
Not what I've seen but I'll believe you. Still my question stands. What's the game plan? We have this inflation talk almost every contract. Granted it's much worse than it was before but again your saying 2-3 dollars plus a year in raises.

Question. Have you calculated pension and healthcare into these numbers? Just curious.
That would depend on the individual region supplement.

Well, since my pension has increased a huge $5 a month over the last 10 years, that would be a huge decrease in real buying power now wouldn't it? I am sure healthcare costs have surpassed inflation, but honestly my coverage is nowhere near what it was 20 years ago. So the effect on the employee is the real benefit decreased.
My pension and healthcare coverage are worse.

That is why I compare only wage increases compared to inflation, and our wage increases compared to the country's wage increases as a whole.

The game plan is to lobby for real cost of living increases vs fixed dollar amount increases during this time of high inflation. Tie wage increases directly to the CPI. Maintain our current standard of living even though upper management and stockholders have seen huge increases.

Last edited:

542thruNthru

Well, since my pension has increased a huge $5 a month over the last 10 years, that would be a huge decrease in real buying power now wouldn't it? I am sure healthcare costs have surpassed inflation, but honestly my coverage is nowhere near what it was 20 years ago. So the effect on the employee is the real benefit decreased.

That is why I compare only wage increases compared to inflation, and our wage increases compared to the country's wage increases as a whole.

The game plan is to lobby for real cost of living increases vs fixed dollar amount increases during this time of high inflation. Tie wage increases directly to the CPI. Maintain our current standard of living even though upper management and stockholders have seen huge increases.
I like it but what about the PTers? What do we bump them up to? They've been down in the basement so long that it's going to take a mountain of cash to bring them out.

floridays

Give a :poop: about pt or new hires? @35years, first time I seen your name here, never spoke to you.
Sounds like you give no :poop: beyond yourself.
Where did you start 35 years ago?

You're a piece of work.

Maintain our current standard of living even though upper management and stockholders have seen huge increases.

You want your current standard of living don't retire, POS you are.

My opinion.