Real COLA

Kingofthenorth

Copied from a Facebook thread...
What a real cost of living adjustment looks like:

In August 2020 drivers made $38.44; that would be $41.96 in today’s dollars using the consumer price index (CPI). So we are already behind.

The February 2022 CPI was .08% or 9.4% annual inflation.

Using the government’s past CPI numbers, and using February’s CPI going forward…

Here is what we need just to keep 2020 buying power:

August 2022…$42.16

August 2023…$46.21 At contract signing

August 2024…$50.64

August 2025…$55.51

August 2026…$60.83

August 2027…$66.67

August 2028…$73.07

And before someone says that is too much, consider what management got a month ago…

1.5 MIP comes out to a yearly bonus (on top of wages) of the following:

4 months’ salary MIP for Supervisor (say $33,000)

7 month’s salary for a business manager (say $70,000)

11.8 months salary for a division manager (say $180,000)

There is also, in addition, the ownership incentive of 1 month’s salary.
Inflation is so high due to reasons like the government giving trillions of dollars to wall street in 2020. Basically, we are probably :censored2:ed. Budget will be more balanced in 2024 with massive increases in wealth inequality and it will be completely wrecked again in 2024 with even more increases in wealth inequality with the people getting screwed over the most cheering on the people who screw them over. What a time to be alive. A million years of technological progress so a few can claim all the credit for hundreds of thousands of workers and technology and get the majority of people to believe them.

Red Devil

The Power of Connected
Inflation is so high due to reasons like the government giving trillions of dollars to wall street in 2020. Basically, we are probably :censored2:ed. Budget will be more balanced in 2024 with massive increases in wealth inequality and it will be completely wrecked again in 2024 with even more increases in wealth inequality with the people getting screwed over the most cheering on the people who screw them over. What a time to be alive. A million years of technological progress so a few can claim all the credit for hundreds of thousands of workers and technology and get the majority of people to believe them.

Exactly. The Fed pumped up the stock market so big money would have time to make a slow exit. They knew there would be disastrous consequences. But they figured if they put them off a few years then the right people could shield themselves from it while the rest of us feel the pain. It is way bigger than D or R. In the immortal words of Lemmy: “Come on baby, eat the rich.”

Up In Smoke

As wages increase, productivity slides. The worst quarterly numbers since 1947 for non-farm businesses. Productivity fell 7.3% while outputs declined by 2.3% and hours worked increased by 5.4%. In simple speak, employers paid more for a longer hours just to see less production. As the pool of quality employees dries up, companies are forced to pay more for less product. Inflation is tied to wages, the more you pay, the more goods and services will cost.

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
As wages increase, productivity slides. The worst quarterly numbers since 1947 for non-farm businesses. Productivity fell 7.3% while outputs declined by 2.3% and hours worked increased by 5.4%. In simple speak, employers paid more for a longer hours just to see less production. As the pool of quality employees dries up, companies are forced to pay more for less product. Inflation is tied to wages, the more you pay, the more goods and services will cost.
PPI is way up. That’s the driving force in price increases. If it costs more to produce, it cost more to buy. It’s not rocket science.

Up In Smoke

Service heavy businesses generally see their wage cost exceed 50% of gross revenue, whereas manufacturing and production heavy businesses can keep labor costs closer to 35% of gross revenue.

dogs.bite.me

Since COLA must be adjusted as stipulated in the contract, I'm really anxious to see what we get August 1. I forget what the language states. Is it basically inflation adjusted beyond what the GWI accounts for? Somehow I doubt UPS will be obligated to match about a 7.9% inflation rate. If so, could we actually be looking at a $2.50 COLA on top of the $1 raise? $3.50/hr raise work drivers would be required to keep up with official inflation. We all know though real inflation is much higher because many of the biggest increases are even included.

Anyone knowledgeable enough to say what we'll actually get for COLA?

$.82

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Exactly. The Fed pumped up the stock market so big money would have time to make a slow exit. They knew there would be disastrous consequences. But they figured if they put them off a few years then the right people could shield themselves from it while the rest of us feel the pain. It is way bigger than D or R. In the immortal words of Lemmy: “Come on baby, eat the rich.”
Big money makes big money on the way up and the way down. They never get out.

RUDoneYet

@Red Devil Love the Motorhead reference! That and your avatar reminds me of the album cover from 2112....

Red Devil

The Power of Connected
Big money makes big money on the way up and the way down. They never get out.

Yes. But I think when the Covid crash hit, some big players got caught holding the bag too. So they had the fed inflate their withered sacks so they could pull out slowly and leave the load all over us.

Or something along those lines.

PASinterference

Yes, I know I'm working late.
Copied from a Facebook thread...
What a real cost of living adjustment looks like:

In August 2020 drivers made $38.44; that would be $41.96 in today’s dollars using the consumer price index (CPI). So we are already behind.

The February 2022 CPI was .08% or 9.4% annual inflation.

Using the government’s past CPI numbers, and using February’s CPI going forward…

Here is what we need just to keep 2020 buying power:

August 2022…$42.16

August 2023…$46.21 At contract signing

August 2024…$50.64

August 2025…$55.51

August 2026…$60.83

August 2027…$66.67

August 2028…$73.07

And before someone says that is too much, consider what management got a month ago…

1.5 MIP comes out to a yearly bonus (on top of wages) of the following:

4 months’ salary MIP for Supervisor (say $33,000)

7 month’s salary for a business manager (say $70,000)

11.8 months salary for a division manager (say $180,000)

There is also, in addition, the ownership incentive of 1 month’s salary.
Funny how management never mentions that MIP. Like it's a big secret that will be taken away if they mention it. Funny stuff.