Real time wage increases.. New contract sucks

O

OZZ

Thats what I said in originally in this post.. I guess you skipped over what I said... Actually its less than . 52 cent raise the first year.. Thats based on straight 40 hours and NO over time. With 10 hours a week in overtime it averages out to be .46 cents an hour over the full year..
1st year .46
2nd year .48
3rd year .48
4th year .52
5th year .57

It will be less than that on average because we are getting only the first 1/2 of the raise during peak season. I put in more overtime at peak how about you! Also they can take the $.35 twice not once a year and move it into the pension.

You're right they can take half of that measley raise every year and we could still get socked with rising health care costs. Plus with no increase in pension benefit but an increase in retirees health cost, the pension is actually MUCH less than before! Doesn't sound like "the best contract ever" now does it?
I THINK LOCAL #705,#710 & #2727 BARGAIN SEPERATE CONTRACTS?
DO YOU THINK THEY WILL BE JUST AS MUCH AS A SELL OUT AS THE IBT?

Braveheart

Dont talk to me about PART TIME, I was part time for 9YEARS, I was smart enough to realize I couldnt afford to start a family or go out on my own, or get married. and at that time there was no 22.3 jobs just friggin Part Time work. And if you expect to make the same money as us drivers forget it, and I have been with the company for 20 years 9 part time 10 pkg driving and 1 feeder. So yes I did vote in the past to GET ME HERE. and as far as your situation goes, as I sated before I was smart enough to realize I cant afford to get married and have a family on a Part time job, I payed my dues for 9 years and I finally got to go pkg drving, so dont tell me about sacrifice, I am not happy about the sub contracting, but that is nothing new it has been around before this contract and I cant help if I busted my butt for 9 years so I could get to where I am today, heck you where probably in diapers when I was working part time. This is the problem of America today everybody wants somebody else to take care of them,no accountabilty for themselves, they want hand outs from the goverment, did you ever thing to use the tuition reimbursment program to help put you thru college to Better yourself?? Why arent you asking for money from the other 2 jobs yur are working? Why are you working 3 jobs?? unless you got yurself into a situation where you have to work 3 jobs? I should vote "No" cus of you who caused his or her own predicament to work 3 jobs and expect me to possibly be without work for sometime and put stress on my family and hope I keep my house, yeah ok....Like I said you are un realistic to think that a part time job could support a marriage or family. Even a 22.3 would be hard pressed to do that, and that WAS a bad deal 22.3 are not full time jobs just 2 part time jobs stuck together, leaving sometimes 2hrs between shifts. Or better yet put in your time and you will go driving.
Be careful it also states that you have to have 3 or more years to have YOUR FEEDER JOB PROTECTED FROM ELIMINATION BY A SHIFT TO RAIL. You should vote no for yourself! And a no vote does not mean a strike, it means more talk at the table. There is still 9 plus months to have talks, and there is always contract extensions too.

Braveheart

It will be less than that on average because we are getting only the first 1/2 of the raise during peak season. I put in more overtime at peak how about you! Also they can take the $.35 twice not once a year and move it into the pension.
Very good point!!!!

Braveheart

First off you start at$8:50 an hr 9 months later you get bumped up to 10:50, so dont speil me this 8:50 bull, thats fine you dont want to got college I put in 9 years part time ok, untill I went driving, nothing has changed you will have to bid yur time till you get that chance, why give bennie's to part timers right away when more than half leave in the first year? Like somebody else stated if you plan on making a career at UPS this contract wont affect you, with the exception of the 3 year progression, you sound like you want to stay around and go full time driving which is fine but again it took me 9 years, it doesnt happen over nite, after raises in my 9 years of part time I was making $15 hr, so you will be compensated, this contract is for people comming thru the door, I cant worry about them because they havent come thru the door yet. They know what they are signing up for when they walk thru that door, they can make the choice. But in order for you to get ahead in this company you either go management or you go Driving pkg or feeder. And this is where you will make a living to support a family and house, not that I dont CARE, like I said it is what it is a PART TIME job, even at $8:50 but ets bumped up tp$10:50 after 9 months, you cant find a part time job that pays and has benie's like this one, yes some part time jobs pay more but no benie's, I am telling you right now if the offer is voted down then the company is going to comeback with that this was their best and final offer. You are not going to see an increase, plus we now bring into play the new Pension laws into play starting at the beginning of the new year, which if the pensions are not 100% funded there will be a huge penalty and our pensions will be cut, also you have to take into account the CS pension and healthcare buy out which will be 6 billion and it is a good deal for my brothers and sisters because right now they get nothing, under this contract they get their pension and healthcare back as if nothing had happened,so yes the part timers dont get what you want , but like I said if you plan on staying around then yes you will have a pension and healthcare when you get full time, and you will be making 32 hr top pay if you get there in the next 2 years by the end of this contract
First of all it is $8.50 and a .50 raise at 90 days, which is $9.00 per hour until 1 year then another .50 raise to $9.50. Then at 2 years .50 raise to $10.00, and at three years another .50 raise and now you are at the magical $10.50 that you speak of.

Under "new contract" you still start at $8.50 but now the 90 day raise will be $1.00 so that puts you at $9.50, then at 1 year you get .50 raise to $10.00, then at 2 years another .50 raise to your magical $10.50.

There is no 9 month raise and I have shown that it will take 2 years to get to $10.50 even under the "new contract".

You mention the benes, but you forget that now the new part timers will have to wait a year and their families 18 months. We were told that the delay in benefits was due to improved wages. Really, an extra .50 cent raise only adds up to an extra $10 per week on a 20 hour work week. It costs way more than $40 a month for health insurance, so the trade off to the part timers is a monumental monetary windfall for UPS and a wopping extra $10 per week for the part timers. That ought to get them the extra 3 gallons of gas they will need to come back to work next week. Don't forget that they took away their paid holidays during 1st year too, and that comes after they took away paid sick days in this contract for their 1st 3 years.

I can just here the people beating down the doors now!

Braveheart

First off you start at$8:50 an hr 9 months later you get bumped up to 10:50, so dont speil me this 8:50 bull, thats fine you dont want to got college I put in 9 years part time ok, untill I went driving, nothing has changed you will have to bid yur time till you get that chance, why give bennie's to part timers right away when more than half leave in the first year? Like somebody else stated if you plan on making a career at UPS this contract wont affect you, with the exception of the 3 year progression, you sound like you want to stay around and go full time driving which is fine but again it took me 9 years, it doesnt happen over nite, after raises in my 9 years of part time I was making $15 hr, so you will be compensated, this contract is for people comming thru the door, I cant worry about them because they havent come thru the door yet. They know what they are signing up for when they walk thru that door, they can make the choice. But in order for you to get ahead in this company you either go management or you go Driving pkg or feeder. And this is where you will make a living to support a family and house, not that I dont CARE, like I said it is what it is a PART TIME job, even at $8:50 but ets bumped up tp$10:50 after 9 months, you cant find a part time job that pays and has benie's like this one, yes some part time jobs pay more but no benie's, I am telling you right now if the offer is voted down then the company is going to comeback with that this was their best and final offer. You are not going to see an increase, plus we now bring into play the new Pension laws into play starting at the beginning of the new year, which if the pensions are not 100% funded there will be a huge penalty and our pensions will be cut, also you have to take into account the CS pension and healthcare buy out which will be 6 billion and it is a good deal for my brothers and sisters because right now they get nothing, under this contract they get their pension and healthcare back as if nothing had happened,so yes the part timers dont get what you want , but like I said if you plan on staying around then yes you will have a pension and healthcare when you get full time, and you will be making 32 hr top pay if you get there in the next 2 years by the end of this contract
I remember they said last, best, and final before. 1997 in fact and we found out later that in fact it was not their best offer now didn't we!!

People should always have an emergency fund for hard times, like workers comp, disability, car accidents, hurricanes and oh yeah strikes as well why we are at it.

Sorry you are scared about a strike but at what point would the give backs make you you draw the line and say no.

Braveheart

No improvement for pensions, more cost for retirees healthcare, less than cost of living raises, UPS makes one billion in PROFIT every quarter! It seems less than status quo and alot that needs to be improved on in the contract before it's acceptable:sad:
Here here!!!

blue efficacy

Dont talk to me about PART TIME, I was part time for 9YEARS, I was smart enough to realize I couldnt afford to start a family or go out on my own, or get married. and at that time there was no 22.3 jobs just friggin Part Time work. And if you expect to make the same money as us drivers forget it, and I have been with the company for 20 years 9 part time 10 pkg driving and 1 feeder. So yes I did vote in the past to GET ME HERE. and as far as your situation goes, as I sated before I was smart enough to realize I cant afford to get married and have a family on a Part time job, I payed my dues for 9 years and I finally got to go pkg drving, so dont tell me about sacrifice, I am not happy about the sub contracting, but that is nothing new it has been around before this contract and I cant help if I busted my butt for 9 years so I could get to where I am today, heck you where probably in diapers when I was working part time. This is the problem of America today everybody wants somebody else to take care of them,no accountabilty for themselves, they want hand outs from the goverment, did you ever thing to use the tuition reimbursment program to help put you thru college to Better yourself?? Why arent you asking for money from the other 2 jobs yur are working? Why are you working 3 jobs?? unless you got yurself into a situation where you have to work 3 jobs? I should vote "No" cus of you who caused his or her own predicament to work 3 jobs and expect me to possibly be without work for sometime and put stress on my family and hope I keep my house, yeah ok....Like I said you are un realistic to think that a part time job could support a marriage or family. Even a 22.3 would be hard pressed to do that, and that WAS a bad deal 22.3 are not full time jobs just 2 part time jobs stuck together, leaving sometimes 2hrs between shifts. Or better yet put in your time and you will go driving.
Adjusted for inflation you made a good deal more as a PT employee than we do now.

1eyejack

Adjusted for inflation you made a good deal more as a PT employee than we do now.
I hope that the part timers will take a stand for the part timers and vote no ... We will all have to get infor out and let them know wht to vote .... They break there backs for 3 1/2 hours a day for 25 dollars a day... Hoffa thinks that we are all going to vote yes ... I say the only vote yes i'm going to do is vote the APWA In and vote the teamsters out.....we will let them know where we stand in the best deal ever.. the pension and work condition still have to change so u can work any where and make as much money as u can when u retire. its time to take a stand and show the teamsters we had enough of there best deals . They have 2 an 3 pension they r getting filthy rich off the backs of UPS employees ... Let them get great deals for other companys that join there union... lets put are money in are own plan....

david426

unfortunetly most of oue part timers don't speak or read English very well, or know what a contract is.. Turn over is real high among non hispanics too.. At least in texas.. 8.50 an hour is good money to them.. We need a contract in Spanish.. Just like everything else

$killed Labor

K what i dont understand is, for P/T in the tentative agreement

To start is 8.50, then after 90 days you get bumped to 9.50 then at the one year mark they will be at $10/hr.

So how is that fair to some one that has maybe 3 years in around the time of july 09 making 10.50 a hour, then a new hire would start in Aug 08 and by the time Aug 09 would roll around, they would be at $10/ hr. Thats doesnt make sence to the guy that has had 3 years in and only making .50 cents more? Or am i missing something?

pkg-king

You guys are amazingly greedy....remember greed killed the pig. We get paid unbeilievably well for what we do. The compensation I/we recieve to deliver packages is comparable to a person with a masters degree in his or her profession. I am embaressed when the discussion of pay/benefits/vacation comes up between me and my group of professional friends. UPS is contributing to the Central States fund the equivelant of a whole years profit...does this register with any of you...can you comprehend this as you are talking about your "measly" pay raise....stop already this reeks of dumb truck driver talk.:wink::wink:

Cezanne

Greed has nothing to do about it, if you are capable of hanging around for 25 or 30 years you might be able to fully comprehend it is about sharing in the wealth and growth of this company. The fact is that most management currently with 30 years in with this company do not have master degrees for the most part and will be able to retire early, healthy and wealthy. Should we as workers be willing to settle for less?:confused:1

bones

Greed has nothing to do about it, if you are capable of hanging around for 25 or 30 years you might be able to fully comprehend it is about sharing in the wealth and growth of this company. The fact is that most management currently with 30 years in with this company do not have master degrees for the most part and will be able to retire early, healthy and wealthy. Should we as workers be willing to settle for less?:confused:1

I know you are not in management or you would know that since the company went public the compensation package isn't near what it used to be, the only way management ever made money was through the stock, since it went public 8 years ago it has done nothing, I am waiting for the announcement that the retirement age is raised for us, sure we will hear it by the end of next year. I had a friend that had been with UPS for 10 years, quit a few weeks ago for a better paying job with less hours and day hours at that, UPS tried to combat this by hiring management trainees out of college, this is failing misserably as they won't do our jobs for our pay, they quit and go somewhere else for more money, this is because UPS is slowly falling in rank with respect to management pay but as far as I know we still pay the top wages for drivers. My point is management started getting less a few years ago, it had to spread to everyone else sooner or later.

Cezanne

Even as an hourly I have observed the two tier system between the haves (Senior management who enjoyed MIP stock in the 80's and 90's) and the have nots (Junior management MIP compensation after the stock when public). Years ago it was unheard of to see young UPS full time supervisors/managers leave after 5 to 10 years to greener pastures, it is now a common event. Many young and smart ones are deciding that it is just not worth it to risk your family or your health after seeing the heavy toll on their older counterparts.