Record while driving vs late air

iruhnman630

The scenario:

You arrive at a dock stop before commit time, but need to wait until after commit time to use the dock.

You can wait for the dock to open, then have late air.

Wrong!

Or you can scan the air before commit time, but show up on the report for driving while recording when you back up to the dock.

Wrong again!!

Which wrong choice do you make?

PT Car Washer

The scenario:

You arrive at a dock stop before commit time, but need to wait until after commit time to use the dock.

Wrong!

Or you can scan the air before commit time, but show up on the report for driving while recording when you back up to the dock.

Wrong again!!

You arrive at the dock before commit time and scan the air stop and wait for the dock to open. GPS will show you scanned at the delivery point.

9.5er

Walk NDA up to dock and have some one sign. Wait til dock opens up and deliver the rest of stop. That is assuming they didn't get too much air. I have had to do that at the hospital on one of my routes.

9.5er

You arrive at the dock before commit time and scan the air stop and wait for the dock to open. GPS will show you scanned at the delivery point.
Not sure what the threshold for this being acceptable and unacceptable really is. I have one stop that has a security gate within 100 yards of the dock. While waiting for the guard to open gate and inspect truck I scanned all of their packages. Started at 10:27. Finally got inside and delivered packages and stop complete at 10:35.
I got talked to next day and told I was getting a warning letter for hiding late NDA. Never got the letter but it still pissed me off.

PT Car Washer

Not sure what the threshold for this being acceptable and unacceptable really is. I have one stop that has a security gate within 100 yards of the dock. While waiting for the guard to open gate and inspect truck I scanned all of their packages. Started at 10:27. Finally got inside and delivered packages and stop complete at 10:35.
I got talked to next day and told I was getting a warning letter for hiding late NDA. Never got the letter but it still :censored2: me off.
I was thinking of when you scan the air package at the dock and they have you drive around to the front office for the delivery. Never heard a word about it as GPS will show what happened.

sailfish

Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
The scenario:

Wrong!

Wrong again!!

I assume you mean drive-record-drive? Not actually taking the package out and recording it while you're driving up to the dock?

iruhnman630

Yes, 'drive-record-drive' is the name of the report, I believe.

If possible I walk the commit packages in and complete the delivery then wait for the dock for the ground delivery.

If not, I scan 1 commit package to start the clock and make service then wait. I figure I have a better chance explaining why I made service, but even that is no guarantee of avoiding d I scipline.

I posed this scenario to my c.m. earlier this summer when the d-r-d report became a hot issue, and he was genuinely stumped

Dr.Brownz

I just run all air first then do ground. :censored2: ups if they want to stuff trucks so full I have to make these kind of decisions then im running the route in a way that ensures service

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
The scenario:

Wrong!

Wrong again!!

Don't risk it. You know your area. If this is a consistent problem, I would tell my supervisor before I left that I'm not 100% sure I can get my airs off by 10:30 and I need some taken off. If they don't help you, run nothing but ground, and if they're late, it's on them. That's why I always used to do. I wouldn't play that game with them, because I got written up for having late air one day when I told them I wasn't sure if I could get done by 10:30. They told me to do my best, and had late air. That was fine, I learned my lesson, but I never crossed the line again. I was a thorn in their side, because if I had ANY doubts, I grabbed another driver for a witness and told them I needed air help. If they didn't help, there was nothing they could do. They force you to play hardball with them.

Grey

I tell them everyday I need help with air and so far I havent been written up unless I've run ground with it before 1030. Once I ran one ground envelope with a air envelope that literally didn't cost me one second of extra time. Still had late air and got burned.

Run your biggest air stop amongst your first stops and don't mix even one ground with it.

UpsYours

i del to a 100 piece stop and about 40 are air. If i get to dock and cant get in i start scanning outside and when bay opens i pull in finish scanning rest of packages and get a signature.as long as you are at the stop itself and scan 1 package air or ground before 10:30 you are good.just dont pre record and drive around or put into pre record after 10:30 .

UpsYours

I tell them everyday I need help with air and so far I havent been written up unless I've run ground with it before 1030. Once I ran one ground envelope with a air envelope that literally didn't cost me one second of extra time. Still had late air and got burned.

Run your biggest air stop amongst your first stops and don't mix even one ground with it.
thats correct if you feel you will have a late air or many late air just del the air packages ONLY.do not scan or del any ground.

iruhnman630

i del to a 100 piece stop and about 40 are air. If i get to dock and cant get in i start scanning outside and when bay opens i pull in finish scanning rest of packages and get a signature.as long as you are at the stop itself and scan 1 package air or ground before 10:30 you are good.....

Yes, you are. No, you're not. You moved the vehicle while the stop is active.

You are right and wrong simultaneously.

Does your center have the d-r-d report?

If you have both ground and air for a stop, and are close to 1030 waiting for a dock, scan a ground pkg first. Yes there's a report for this as well, but, if u scan a ground pkg before 1030, your time stamp is still on time, even if you stop complete after 1030.