Refused to help

BrownTruckWannabe

So I'm a little nervous. Routes have been light the past couple days as casuals have been starting to cover summer vacations. Yesterday I finished really early at 4PM. Took all my breaks and took my time. I messaged and asked if anyone needed help. They had me take some misloads off a driver and deliver them. Before I finished that they were telling me to send a message when I was done to help another driver that was 40 minutes away. I told them that I was all set after this work and wanted to go home and that I had offered to help when I could have just drove in and started my weekend early. I asked them not to make me regret that. Well they replied with a meet point for the driver to take 30 stops which was really a slap in the face. I was fuming. I was so upset by the blatant lack of respect and common courtesy that it literally made me nauseous. So I used that against them. Told them I was feeling sick and was coming in right away. They told me to see my sup before punching out. I said I was feeling nauseous and we can talk in the morning. I'm going home. I'm guessing I will be in the office Monday morning. I'm sticking with I was sick and nauseous and felt it unsafe to continue working. Should I be worried about discipline? I know I should have known better to offer to help. You give an inch and they take a mile.

Shift Inhibit

He who laughs last didn't get it.
They could try & get you for “not working as directed” . But worst case it’ll just be a casual verbal warning. They know drivers get pissed about helping.

ManInBrown

So I'm a little nervous. Routes have been light the past couple days as casuals have been starting to cover summer vacations. Yesterday I finished really early at 4PM. Took all my breaks and took my time. I messaged and asked if anyone needed help. They had me take some misloads off a driver and deliver them. Before I finished that they were telling me to send a message when I was done to help another driver that was 40 minutes away. I told them that I was all set after this work and wanted to go home and that I had offered to help when I could have just drove in and started my weekend early. I asked them not to make me regret that. Well they replied with a meet point for the driver to take 30 stops which was really a slap in the face. I was fuming. I was so upset by the blatant lack of respect and common courtesy that it literally made me nauseous. So I used that against them. Told them I was feeling sick and was coming in right away. They told me to see my sup before punching out. I said I was feeling nauseous and we can talk in the morning. I'm going home. I'm guessing I will be in the office Monday morning. I'm sticking with I was sick and nauseous and felt it unsafe to continue working. Should I be worried about discipline? I know I should have known better to offer to help. You give an inch and they take a mile.
You lost me at I messaged and asked if anyone needed help. Why would you tell them you feel nauseous and can we talk in the morning. Lolol. They knew you were shook. It makes you look weak. Like you can be taken advantage of. You were scared to talk to your sup when you got back? Where was your steward? Was he or she present? You can’t talk to a sup without a steward.

deeztier

don't ever send a message in when you're done unless directed to. "finished work, i want to go home" ...even if you're lower seniority they'll always pick on that one driver, you, to go help out cause you've volunteered before.

ManInBrown

don't ever send a message in when you're done unless directed to. "finished work, i want to go home" ...even if you're lower seniority they'll always pick on that one driver, you, to go help out cause you've volunteered before.
Bingo. Have fun helping drivers for the rest of your career. OMS at night doesn’t care who helps. They need a living breathing body to bail other drivers out. Sending a message asking to help someone, just made you that driver for the next 10 years.

rod

Retired 22 years
You will probably get yelled at but I wouldn't worry about it. Chalk it up as one of lifes little lessons. (I think you already have).

MECH-lift

Union Brother ✊🧔 RPCD
I love when they ask me to help. I tell them that my “ helping” speed is approximately 3 stops an hour due to safety concerns.
🧔✊

ManInBrown

You can never say no.
Go slow af and they will never ask you to help again
First you ask them are they asking you to help or directing you. If asking you can say no. If directed get on the 9.5 and file every week. You will never be asked to help anyone ever again, outside of peak. Finishing at 8:30 every night is another solution to the problem.

Last edited:

Box Ox

Yesterday I finished really early at 4PM. Took all my breaks and took my time. I messaged and asked if anyone needed help.
I told them that I was all set after this work and wanted to go home and that I had offered to help when I could have just drove in and started my weekend early. I asked them not to make me regret that. Well they replied with a meet point for the driver to take 30 stops which was really a slap in the face. I was fuming. I was so upset by the blatant lack of respect and common courtesy that it literally made me nauseous.

Glad you got your management cherry popped. It's the nature of good people to want to excel at their jobs and help out co-workers when they can. But that rarely leads to anything good for a UPS driver.

A lot of new drivers learn how management works the hard way, under worse circumstances. So you should consider yourself lucky.

Non sequitur

Kinda like the Charlie Brown teacher talking on the telephone. Hey in fact that's a great coping idea. Every time you're supervisor or managers talking to you just imagine that Charlie Brown teachers voice.

RetiredIE

Retirement is VASTLY underrated

Don't offer up anything, ever. When you volunteer you become red meat that they will gnaw on until you learn your lesson and they have to find another sucker (no offense). Management wants to get everything done and go home. They don't much care if you are nauseous or grumpy or anything else. They will use you until you no longer offer yourself up to be used.

Do your job, keep your head down and speak only when spoken too. Good luck!

Fuzzy Brown

Insubordination will get you fired.
They probably wanted you to get up with a sup to make sure you weren’t going to die of heat stroke because you told them you felt sick.
You could very well be screwed.

quad decade guy

If you are sick....you are sick....end of story...

Now, lying is dishonesty. You used this reason here. Now what?