Refusing a DR'ed package

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG
ive told customers i could not take a opened package back and they would have to call the shipper to schedule a pickup,, than in about a hr i get told to go back and pick up and rts the pkg asap because the customer called in a co. concern

UPSGUY72

ive told customers i could not take a opened package back and they would have to call the shipper to schedule a pickup,, than in about a hr i get told to go back and pick up and rts the pkg asap because the customer called in a co. concern

They sent you a message to go back or did you call the center and they tell you to back with you explaining the package was opened? I the package is open I don't take it back without a call tag. If I got a message to go back and pick up a package that I knew was open I would call the center and explain that they opened the package therefore they need to call the shipper and get a call tag. Without a call tag and open package problems could arise with missing merchandise that UPS could be blamed for.

They called in a concern that you won't take a package they left out the part that they opened it because if they said that they would have been instructed to call the shipper and get a call tag. That is UPS policy and everyone knows it.

AssistantSanta

Answer truthfully. Packages that come open or contents that come out in the truck. Do they get reported to office promptly, or do they regularly get repackaged and delivered as if nothing happened?

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Technically, any package that becomes damaged (IE: opened) in the truck should be returned to the building and the clerk. The clerks are the only ones authorized to get into any packages. Drivers are NOT allowed to put their hands inside any package for any reason. That is the letter of policy. Any re-packs that are delivered have already been processed in the system and would not be out for delivery without proper documentation. Clerks are the only ones allowed to repack. I have seen many packages that are stamped "repack" and many that are not so. I think any package that is repacked should be stamped for the customers benefit and the drivers.

As to picking up a DR that is to be returned/refused, it is mostly a matter of common sense. If the package is questionable tell the customer that they have to contact their shipper. If the package has obviously not been tampered (original tape has not been broken) with in any way, then re-sheet it as refused and return it to the center.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Answer truthfully. Packages that come open or contents that come out in the truck. Do they get reported to office promptly, or do they regularly get repackaged and delivered as if nothing happened?

They get repackaged and delivered as though nothing happened.

Dilli, I will always alert customers to the more obvious "rewraps"--new box/original label--so that they can inspect the contents more carefully. I will also note that it was a rewrap in the remarks column.

over9five

Staff member
They get repackaged and delivered as though nothing happened.
I would too. About 12 years ago, we got a DM who said we could carry tape on our cars. I clearly remember him saying "I'm in charge, not LP".

We get paid a lot of money. I'd like to think the company would trust me to tape up a box that had opened and deliver it.
I also think they'd trust me to bring it back if it looked like something was missing or damaged.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I would too. About 12 years ago, we got a DM who said we could carry tape on our cars. I clearly remember him saying "I'm in charge, not LP".

We get paid a lot of money. I'd like to think the company would trust me to tape up a box that had opened and deliver it.
I also think they'd trust me to bring it back if it looked like something was missing or damaged
Common sense at his finest. :happy2:

AssistantSanta

Technically, any package that becomes damaged (IE: opened) in the truck should be returned to the building and the clerk. The clerks are the only ones authorized to get into any packages. Drivers are NOT allowed to put their hands inside any package for any reason.

To recap it, I was a helper. I'm also a UPS consignee just like pretty much anyone who's had things delivered to their home/work.

Yep, no contest to what you said.
As a consignee. I think I have the right to be frustrated with how our packages are getting violated. Would you like receiving brand new clothes that is all dirty from touching the PC floor, because it came out inside the truck, driver shoved it back in and delivered as if nothing happened? How about receiving baby diapers that scattered all over the PC floor, then tossed crammed back in the box, taped up and tossed on your porch? This is not hypothetical.

I'm passing on what I personally observed as a helper. When the consignee calls about the package looking like someone already opened it, they're going to get "we have no records of repack sir. Your package was not repacked" from customer service.

Me(helper) : "There's a hole on this box and something fell out of it".... I hand the package and whatever it is that came out to the driver..
Driver: Crams it back in the hole, tape the hole... "there, go deliver"
Me: "You bet..."

Do drivers act the same around management ride alongs as they do with helpers? Who knows.

So, I noticed something come out, but did anything come out in the back while it tumbled around in the back? Who knows. I can just guess the frustration the consignee will have to deal with.
Or for that matter... the piece that fell out

Consignee: The chrome center cap came in dented and all scratched. I'm also missing a valve stem cap.
Merchant: Well sir, its a used product. I personally packed it and I know I put everything in place.
Consignee: Dents that weren't there and no, I only got four stem caps.
And you can see where this goes. Something happened in transit, driver did something on his own, didn't report.

Merchant thinks customer is trying to pull a fast one. Customer got screwed. UPS has no clue this happened, so when customer calls 1-800-PICKUPS, they get told absolutely nothing happened.

Do I tell my friends about all that shenanigans? Of course.

As to picking up a DR that is to be returned/refused, it is mostly a matter of common sense. If the package is questionable tell the customer that they have to contact their shipper. If the package has obviously not been tampered (original tape has not been broken) with in any way, then re-sheet it as refused and return it to the center.
If people on sort/load and drivers strictly followed by the policy and absolutely didn't do any of the record repacking that I have personally observed as a helper, what you said is faithful. But, when boxes come like its been beaten up and repackaged, its way hard to say whats original or not.

Clear tape should never ever be allowed in trucks, or in the center to begin with. If they were to use nothing but UPS logo'd tape, there will no longer be any argument on who taped it up.

UPSGUY72

[/COLOR]To recap it, I was a helper. I'm also a UPS consignee just like pretty much anyone who's had things delivered to their home/work.

[/SIZE][/FONT]As a consignee. I think I have the right to be frustrated with how our packages are getting violated. Would you like receiving brand new clothes that is all dirty from touching the PC floor, because it came out inside the truck, driver shoved it back in and delivered as if nothing happened? How about receiving baby diapers that scattered all over the PC floor, then tossed crammed back in the box, taped up and tossed on your porch? This is not hypothetical.

I'm passing on what I personally observed as a helper. When the consignee calls about the package looking like someone already opened it, they're going to get "we have no records of repack sir. Your package was not repacked" from customer service.

Me(helper) : "There's a hole on this box and something fell out of it".... I hand the package and whatever it is that came out to the driver..

Do drivers act the same around management ride alongs as they do with helpers? Who knows.

So, I noticed something come out, but did anything come out in the back while it tumbled around in the back? Who knows. I can just guess the frustration the consignee will have to deal with.

Consignee: The chrome center cap came in dented and all scratched. I'm also missing a valve stem cap.
Merchant: Well sir, its a used product. I personally packed it and I know I put everything in place.
And you can see where this goes. Something happened in transit, driver did something on his own, didn't report.

Merchant thinks customer is trying to pull a fast one. Customer got screwed. UPS has no clue this happened, so when customer calls 1-800-PICKUPS, they get told absolutely nothing happened.

If people on sort/load and drivers strictly followed by the policy and absolutely didn't do any of the record repacking that I have personally observed as a helper, what you said is faithful. But, when boxes come like its been beaten up and repackaged, its way hard to say whats original or not.

Clear tape should never ever be allowed in trucks, or in the center to begin with. If they were to use nothing but UPS logo'd tape, there will no longer be any argument on who taped it up.

What did you say???

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
[/COLOR]To recap it, I was a helper. I'm also a UPS consignee just like pretty much anyone who's had things delivered to their home/work.

[/SIZE][/FONT]As a consignee. I think I have the right to be frustrated with how our packages are getting violated. Would you like receiving brand new clothes that is all dirty from touching the PC floor, because it came out inside the truck, driver shoved it back in and delivered as if nothing happened? How about receiving baby diapers that scattered all over the PC floor, then tossed crammed back in the box, taped up and tossed on your porch? This is not hypothetical.

I confess............ I didn't get past How about receiving baby diapers that scattered all over the PC floor, then tossed crammed back in the box, taped up and tossed on your porch? OOOH GAWD - You're one of those............................. :surprised:

AssistantSanta

I confess............ I didn't get past How about receiving baby diapers that scattered all over the PC floor, then tossed crammed back in the box, taped up and tossed on your porch? OOOH GAWD - You're one of those............................. :surprised:
Meh, it won't let me edit after ten minutes.

I meant to ask how you'd feel about receiving products like clothes/diaper that came out of the box and put back in after they were all over the truck floor.

You cited the policy from the books, but still no direct answer from drivers with how they've personally handled those situations.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Meh, it won't let me edit after ten minutes.

I meant to ask how you'd feel about receiving products like clothes/diaper that came out of the box and put back in after they were all over the truck floor.

You cited the policy from the books, but still no direct answer from drivers with how they've personally handled those situations.
I cited policy because that is what we are supposed to live by. Personally I have delivered to many boxes to not know that the problem is not necessarily UPS. Many many times it is the shipper not using the proper box for the contents. Of course this is not the case 100% of the time. Have I taped boxes and delivered them? Of course. How would I feel about receiving damaged diapers? First of all I would go down to the store and buy them. Second of all I would go down to the store and buy them. Third of all, I don't order them.

I guess I've been lucky so far. I haven't received any damaged packages.

AKCoverMan

Like so many things at Camp Brown, the rules are very black and white while the real world is filled with shades of grey not to mention all the colors of the rainbow. You have to wish that common sense were a little more common.

I have pulled a package off the shelf only to have the box rip open and then single loose heavy metal thing in side (car part, oil rig part, whatever) pop out. I take it into the shop I am delivering to and explain that the box unpacked itself moments before, can they take a look and make sure they have everything. They sign for the package. Generally they are happy becuase they didnt have to wait a day for the part to be repacked (and probably escape from the next box)..they need the part today! The nature of the contents and the packaging makes what happened very undersatandable.

Last night during hour 12 I delievered a very large ugly looking torn up box to a rural customer. You could tell it was one of boxes that contains mostly air. I made contact with the customer he told me it was a new tread for his snowblower and the tech was coming Tuesday morning to install it. It was one of those things where the fairly flimsy box which was torn up by the end of the trip had done enough to protect the contents... which was simply a heavy rubber tread. It would have been very difficult to pack in a way that would look good after transit and trying to would have been a disservice to the customer as the tech would have arrived without the tread to install.

Lots of online clothes are simply shipped in an plastic bag. Each garment inside is also in its own plastic bag. If the outter bag comes open and I can put all the items back in the bag and tape it up why would I delay the package? Assuming the contents are in perfect shape there is no reason to not deliver.