Relaxed Commit Times

Catatonic

Nine Lives
This will give drivers a little bit more planning time and window to get off air.

Ground and Standard guarantees are suspended starting Dec 12.

Peak-season service guarantees: Commitment times for air and international shipments delivered within the United States will be extended by 90 minutes on the
following days: Nov. 25, Dec. 19-24 and Dec. 31. UPS air and international shipments picked up or delivered in the United States are guaranteed throughout the holiday
season. The guarantee is suspended for UPS Ground and UPS Standard packages picked up or scheduled for delivery between Dec. 12 and Dec. 24. For further details, visit
ups.com for UPS Tariff/Terms and Conditions of Service.

rod

Retired 22 years
We were always told there wasn't any guaranteed commit times during peak. No refunds for being late from Thanksgiving to Christmas.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
The conversation (for me at least) is pretty much the same every year.

Me: "Well boss, I can probably get all of my air off on time, but at the cost of bringing 20 missed stops back at 9:30 tonight. I will also be in danger of going over 60 DOT hours. And you will need to give me $20 to buy fuel on route so I can make it back to the building."

Boss: "Just go out there and be as productive as you can, if they are late they are late."

Me: "Ok."

Its called "triage". Sometimes a few packages must die so that a greater number may live. The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few. One late air is infinitely preferable to 20 missed ground stops, once you start bringing missed stops back they snowball on you and before you know it your truck is bricked out and you are so far in the hole that you cant catch up.

Last edited:

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage
Its called "triage". Sometimes a few packages must die so that a greater number may live. The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few. One late air is infinitely preferable to 20 missed ground stops, ...

That's a great one-word description! The Grounds are last on the list with no guarantee this time of the year. Reflects the reality of the seasonal fluctuations in volume ... the lowest profit margin packages are last in priority.

rod

Retired 22 years
Never heard that one.

Ground has been like that for many years but this year it starts Dec 12.

I'm sure there were alot of things that happened at my old center that you wouldn't dream could ever happen at UPS. During peak we were lucky to even get our air delivered to our center before 10 or 11 A.M.