Religious Belief vs Civic Duty

Do employees have the right to refuse to perform parts of their jobs due to their religious beliefs?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

As many of you may know, there is a county clerk in Kentucky who has taken it upon herself to defy repeated directives from her supervisors, state and federal government, by not issuing marriage licenses to same-sex couples, citing her strong religious beliefs on the subject. Today she will be in federal court where it is expected that she will be given the option of either doing her job or face fines and/or jail time.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

On a related note, I went to a local county fair with my brother and his family last weekend. I saw this sign posted outside one of the food vendors:

"We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone for whatever reason."

Is this even legal?

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
She took an oath of office to perform all duties as required by law.
If she won't perform those duties she could and should resign her job.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
If she's that opposed, for religious reasons, she should get another job. If the federal courts sided with her, that would open a huge can of worms... for instance, Jewish or Muslim people refusing to handle pork as butchers, delivery people, etc. It could go on and on.

If she's that opposed, for religious reasons, she should get another job. If the federal courts sided with her, that would open a huge can of worms... for instance, Jewish or Muslim people refusing to handle pork as butchers, delivery people, etc. It could go on and on.
I don't agree with her . But that wasn't part of the job of the job when she started.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
I've already had that happen to me .
I'm in the express line and I get held up because the cashier refuses to touch a shrink wrapped covered piece of ham .

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
I've already had that happen to me .
I'm in the express line and I get held up because the cashier refuses to touch a shrink wrapped covered piece of ham .

My daughter and I were in Marshall's Sunday and we saw a Muslim woman working there who was totally covered except for her eyes. Usually if they are that devout, they're not allowed to have any dealings with men who aren't family. We were wondering how that works for her.

oldngray

nowhere special
Legally she has to issue those licenses now but since the court changed the definitions from what she agreed to when she was hired possibly the state could transfer her into another department. That way she could keep her job and the whole issue could just go away. Unless either side is more interested in milking it for the publicity than working out an equitable solution.

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
Legally she has to issue those licenses now but since the court changed the definitions from what she agreed to when she was hired possibly the state could transfer her into another department. That way she could keep her job and the whole issue could just go away. Unless either side is more interested in milking it for the publicity than working out an equitable solution.
She wasn't "hired". This is an elected position and she cannot be fired for not performing her duties. Don't believe you can take an elected position and simply move her to another department.
That being said, if she chooses not to perform the duties of the office, she should resign.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

She wasn't "hired". This is an elected position and she cannot be fired for not performing her duties. Don't believe you can take an elected position and simply move her to another department.
That being said, if she chooses not to perform the duties of the office, she should resign.

You can remove an elected official for cause.

T

Turdferguson

County clerk is an elected officials I don't think they can transfer her.