Kim Davis - The Christian Rosa Parks

moreluck

golden ticket member
jwFXn22.jpg

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I consider myself a logical person.

When I look at the sky and see the stars and try to comprehend the unimaginable vastness of the universe, as well as the infinite variety of life forms that exist on our tiny speck of a world....it is simply not logical to me that all of that happened by mistake or random chance. There is some sort of a purpose, an order, a higher power, a God behind it all.

Having arrived at that conclusion, it is then equally illogical to me that an all-powerful God who was responsible for the infinite miracles of our infinite universe would then be so small and petty as to choose to consign the children that He/She created to some sort of eternal fiery torture chamber simply because of the manner in which they chose to perform certain religious rituals, or because their ancestors failed to accurately document or translate words and religious ideas that were written centuries earlier. Or for the manner in which they chose to express their love for one another.

It just isn't logical.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right

When I look at the sky and see the stars and try to comprehend the unimaginable vastness of the universe, as well as the infinite variety of life forms that exist on our tiny speck of a world....it is simply not logical to me that all of that happened by mistake or random chance. There is some sort of a purpose, an order, a higher power, a God behind it all.

Having arrived at that conclusion, it is then equally illogical to me that an all-powerful God who was responsible for the infinite miracles of our infinite universe would then be so small and petty as to choose to consign the children that He/She created to some sort of eternal fiery torture chamber simply because of the manner in which they chose to perform certain religious rituals, or because their ancestors failed to accurately document or translate words and religious ideas that were written centuries earlier. Or for the manner in which they chose to express their love for one another.

It just isn't logical.
It's not about a god it's about religion, there's a big difference.
Religion is about control, rules and laws that govern the actions of mankind. To simply disregard long standing rules could risk undermining the entire structure many people depend on. It's a scary premise for lots of people, and in our modern age social progress happens too quickly for some people to be able to deal with it rationally.

10 point

It just isn't logical.
Maybe it isn't What you know as much as what we Did or Did Not do with what we knew.

In the Bible we read that God looks at the heart, intentions, and we are liable for those things.

That is fair.

BrownArmy

When one is considering the Euthyphro Dilemma one should also consider Divine Command Theory.

Which leads/coincides to/with the 'Independence problem'...

This line of thought doesn't bode well for the theists.

Again, mental gymnastics will not give us irrefutable evidence one way or another about a higher power.

(my personal view of a 'higher power' is more akin to the 'force' in Star Wars...it's the nature of the Universe, as it is, that exists as 'a thing' that I'm wondrous of...no Hail Mary's necessary!)

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
The cartoon you posted mixes metaphors, so to speak.

It conflates two disparate issues and compares them as equals, when in reality it's apples and oranges.

Actually, it's apples and dump-trucks.

Now, you're going to have to explain to her the difference between an apple and a dump truck.