Responders across the country

Phraust

A 4’diameter clear liquid is left on the floor from a previous shift there no way of knowing what this substance is.

What are you steps?
Well I don't have my old responder materials handy since I had to take them into work today after a deplorable performance by 3 different sups last Friday that clearly displayed no sense of knowledge of proper training regarding the leaking package procedures. But if memory serves, after putting on the PPE(that I likely don't have access to) you're supposed to PH Test it(with testing strips I'm almost certain aren't where they should be), consult the PH to determine the proper response sheet(either Corrosive or Flammable I believe) and go from there.

Let me be very clear, I know the steps, to consult the handbook/decision tree/response sheets/etc. And I know there are resources I can turn to, again I spent as much time if not more filing both OSHA and Local Union grievances then I did entering data into ETT for damage tracking/reporting. This post was mainly targeting how to 'manage management' when they repeatedly, flagrantly and unsafely get in the way of the processes.

Going back to what I said above about Friday, there were 2 small leakers(not actively leaking through the package but well soaked, no clear markings, no way to determine contents) that our newest sup who has been told not to just grabbed, sniffed and set aside without telling anyone. One of them was grabbed, 'placed' in the hopper and smashed before it even got through the small sort process(the packaging was distinct) and turned out to be some foaming cleaning spray with a broken nozzle that made a much larger mess then was necessary. The other was lens cleaning solution. Then we had an active leaker in a smalls bag that we shut down the belt that feeds the small sort area waiting for a responder, instead a sup who should know better grabs a decrepit tub, grabs the bag swinging it wide(causing a fair arc of run off and 'splashing' our clerk) and dumps it into the tub(this one stinks of vinegar/cheap wine, was actively leaking from 2 spots in the bag and made a fair mess on the belt) and still instead of waiting a responder the new sup from above grabs a roll of toilet paper, sops up the mess and instructs to restart the belt(not sure where he threw away the soggy TP at but I'm guessing the nearby rarely emptied trash can) fortunately it turned out to be apple cider vinegar but that wasn't determined for over 10 mins as the bag leaked into the tub, the tub leaked through a small set of rollers on the floor or an elevated work area that people also work under and could potentially leak through(and onto the very nearby electric outlet that I made sure to check before leaving).

And honestly this is really par for the course on my sort, the former RMP(or so I've been told) is the only one that displays any awareness of the methods and how to handle things though even he misses a few steps. Barehanding leakers, setting them aside uncontained, leaving them laying about till a responder gets there and rarely cleans up any spillage on other surfaces/packages/etc. We just recently had an DART injury where an employee grabbed a set aside leaker and suffered light chemical burns on his hands because no one communicated that it was a leaker and was simply left set aside with no effort to mark or otherwise indicate why it's there(I've been told that package complete disappeared even though they reacted to it 'within 5 mins tops' according to a sup). This could have easily happened with any of the above leakers but I wouldn't be quite so motivated if a sup did that to themselves as they shouldn't be handling packages in the first place.

Apologies if that was addressed but it's a long read
I am considering applying again once the current PT responder quits, I simply want to go into it better prepared with what I should know and be doing then I did last time.

Karma...

I dont understand why responders dont get more money say 5 dollars an hour more......maybe in the next contract Sean will get the money responders rate..

Integrity

Binge Poster
I dont understand why responders dont get more money say 5 dollars an hour more......maybe in the next contract Sean will get the money responders rate..
I think this does make sense.

Did you put a contract proposal in?

I suggest you submit one for next contract if you didn’t,

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
1677759793705.png

DOK

This is gonna be a long one so bear with me please! So without giving away to many personal details(I'll fail at this) I'm a 'well vested' former responder, current steward and on again off again CHSP committee member on the preload of a mid sized center in the NW region. I've been a Responder before and was unfortunately stuck with an RMP who knew less about the job then a new hire that had just finished basic hazmat handling certification(Don't touch, Leave Area, Notify Sup). The district/division Responder manager was someone new what felt like every week and if I had questions/concerns most of the time it came down to leaving hand written notes for the much more senior responder on the local sort and hoping the notes weren't lost between shifts as I couldn't contact anyone outside the building and the RMP's usual response was 'Well just do what you think is right', as if I'd bother asking if I had that sort of opinion. When my yearly re-up came I simply stated I wasn't interested and they had no issue with that(though I know the language states to submit a letter).

Anyway that's in the not so distant past and now I'm faced with the predicament that 1 of the 2 responders we do have is about to leave the company(weeks at most), the other is a former driver who went 22.3(FT) and is only a responder as it was part of the job he bid into and is talking about retiring before peak hits. I have a long history of filing grievances on any sup performing that role and am frankly tired of butting heads with the labor manager on how it's not his fault and how the company shouldn't have to pay out on the grievances because they can't find people to fill the job(I always argue the company should have taken the hazard pay negotiation more seriously though I also know part of that's on the International for not putting any weight behind it when the west expected such, at least as my business agent explained it) but I can't say I don't see his point as I play around with the idea of applying to be a responder again.

So FINALLY here's my question, to any of you that are/were or are close with those that are/were responders, what were your biggest challenges in getting the company to respect THEIR rules(and the rules set by the EPA and other agencies) and how did you get them to comply? During my year as a responder I probably did more 'paperwork' via grievances(both local union and state level, never went so far as to contact the EPA but I probably should have) then I did for my actual responder duties as I had a manager that instructed me NOT to bother with basic PPE, to use whatever tub and garbage bag I could find instead of 'wasting time getting a spill tub' and 'just tub em for now and process em later', not to mention the near constant discovery of improperly contained leakers that were just left laying around the DMP or 'quasi DMP'(several of which were the sort of things you DON'T want leaking all over, bleach, peroxide, alcohol, etc) which neither I or the other responder placed there leaving me unable yet still 'required' to describe when and where it was discovered(and to be told by management and security that 'discovery in the DMP isn't a proper answer', my business agent had fun with that one...).
What’s a responder?

Integrity

Binge Poster
I know this is older, but....you guys get paid extra to be a responder?
In my area responders didn’t get paid more other than their ability to create OT for themselves depending upon how thorough they chose to do their job.

Unfortunately the responders were pretty
much management lackeys who most often only did their jobs correctly on audit days.

The good ones never lasted.

IMO The responder job should be a bid job that starts at least $40.00 per hour.

Thebrownblob

In my area responders didn’t get paid more other than their ability to create OT for themselves depending upon how thorough they chose to do their job.

Unfortunately the responders were pretty
much management lackeys who most often only did their jobs correctly on audit days.

The good ones never lasted.

IMO The responder job should be a bid job that starts at least $40.00 per hour.
Not gonna happen