Retired but can we be a drivers helper ?

rod

Retired 22 years
I've been thinking about making excuses to run errands too. I used to race dirt bikes but was never interested in street bikes though.
I've got a driver friend who has been retired for 12 years and somehow managed to keep his wife working the whole time up until about a month ago when she retired. He's my hero. Me on the other hand as soon as I mentioned retirement my wife said "me too".

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
I've got a driver friend who has been retired for 12 years and somehow managed to keep his wife working the whole time up until about a month ago when she retired. He's my hero. Me on the other hand as soon as I mentioned retirement my wife said "me too".

My wife and DIL had a dance studio. They ran it about 4 years after I retired.

Except for cooking 5 nights a week, it was great.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
It's very easy to get used to. My alarm doesn't go off at 5:45 anymore. I'm trying to eat less and drink more water. I'm trying to do more walking around the neighborhood to exercise, I'll be glad when everything opens up at the community clubhouse. It has a two-story gym and indoor pools among other things and is starting to open up since being shut down by COVID. First pension check hit the bank a day early. Trying to put up with the spouse all day can be trying at times.
I get up at 0500 every morning, which for the last few years in feeders was about the time I went to bed. I love it cuz I've always been a morning person, it's a good feeling (for me anyway) to be up that early and have the whole day in front of me to do stuff that I like to do vs going to work for someone else. So far its just been getting better and better.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Got the text today:

UPS WANTS TO REHIRE YOU! Apply at UPSJOBS.com Book an appointment to interview for Personal Vehicle Drivers, Driver Helpers, & Package Handlers! #PEAK2020​

We're getting the good Ramen this time!
I got you a vest I hope it's big enough.
I'll meet you at 11:00 a.m. at McDonald's tomorrow and if you do a good job I'll give you a pack of new ports and a can of red bull
IMG_20201103_154123195.jpg

clean hairy

It's very easy to get used to. My alarm doesn't go off at 5:45 anymore. I'm trying to eat less and drink more water. I'm trying to do more walking around the neighborhood to exercise, I'll be glad when everything opens up at the community clubhouse. It has a two-story gym and indoor pools among other things and is starting to open up since being shut down by COVID. First pension check hit the bank a day early. Trying to put up with the spouse all day can be trying at times.
The last sentence is what she says?

RetiredIE

Retirement is VASTLY underrated
I’m retired and wondering if we can be a drivers helper for Christmas. Does the union let us do this. Would like to help but not mess up my pension. Wondering if there’s any retired drivers that work as helpers sometimes.
You could choose to go to the proctologist and dentist every week instead. Similar experience...

badpal

We have 3 or 4 Alumni drivers come back every peak, i figured it was the norm everywhere. Ours say they still draw thier pension and draw top pay . A couple of them and thier wives take a very nice vacation together to somewhere very warm in february.

ski or die

Ski or Die
Around here they ask retired drivers to work. Apparently its ok with the Union. So far only the resident company suck up driver has worked it.
Are you aware of this person financial situation? Maybe there has been medical issues in his family and he is trying to help because he cares for the welfare of his family. It's not always the negative side that he had to return.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
We have 3 or 4 Alumni drivers come back every peak, i figured it was the norm everywhere. Ours say they still draw thier pension and draw top pay . A couple of them and thier wives take a very nice vacation together to somewhere very warm in february.

Alumni drivers

Lmao

rod

Retired 22 years
Are you aware of this person financial situation? Maybe there has been medical issues in his family and he is trying to help because he cares for the welfare of his family. It's not always the negative side that he had to return.
I get it now----you just like to argue :-)

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
Man, you must be a masochist. It really depends on you pension plan. In the West I think you can only work 50 hours a month within a certain age range before being penalized. Maybe 62. then from there to 65 you can work some more hrs. then after 65 you can work as much as you want without penalty.

You couldnt pay me enough to go back to that mess. I deliberately let my CDL slide by not getting my physical so that i would never be tempted.

If you need the money , that is altogether a much different story.

good luck. ( ask your HR dept and pension administrator )

TBH

An officially retired Oregonian .
Man, you must be a masochist. It really depends on you pension plan. In the West I think you can only work 50 hours a month within a certain age range before being penalized. Maybe 62. then from there to 65 you can work some more hrs. then after 65 you can work as much as you want without penalty.

You couldnt pay me enough to go back to that mess. I deliberately let my CDL slide by not getting my physical so that i would never be tempted.

If you need the money , that is altogether a much different story.

good luck. ( ask your HR dept and pension administrator )
I would do it if the Western Conference made a deal to not pause my pension so I wouldn’t have to worry about the hours. I think being a driver helper would be fun and I know the diad. But the current COVID-19 situation makes it a no go and if I signed up, my Wife would be beyond mad!

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
I would do it if the Western Conference made a deal to not pause my pension so I wouldn’t have to worry about the hours. I think being a driver helper would be fun and I know the diad. But the current COVID-19 situation makes it a no go and if I signed up, my Wife would be beyond mad!
i guess it would be okay if it's fun for you and you make some extra $$$ for holidays. it's only what? 5 weeks? I'm not 65 yet ( almost ) and would be penalized on the hours. its not worth it in that case.