Retirement information meeting

bacha29

Yep. And of course the Dems latched onto his efforts and managed to scare people into opposing it.

As I understand it, he didn't want to completely privatize it. He wanted people to have a choice: to invest the money taken out for SS or keep things as they were by continuing the contribute to the SS fund. One advantage of the investment option is that the Gov't would have a harder time throwing roadblocks in your way when you want to tap into what's rightfully yours. As it is, the Gov't treats SS a lot like welfare. If you try to tap into it early, you better be poor, (make less than $16,000 a year) or you have to put up with the Gov's Rube Goldbergian distribution system, which is designed to put people off in the hopes they'll kick the bucket before collecting a red cent of what they were forced to contribute to all their working lives. Nice, eh?
One of the plain and bipartisan reasons it didn't fly you have already addressed when came to a self managed retirement account, "tapping" into it all the time. Combine "tapping" with low returns small contributions and high management fees and what do you have? Just another bank account that for millions of Americans has nothing in it when they come to retire. So what will many of them do? They will run back to Congress and demand the recreation of Social Security with an immediate benefit check because their self managed retire account is flat out broke.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
I just want to know how we got from me posting about the retirement information meeting to talking about government. Nothing worse than blow hard men feeling the need to talk politics.

Last edited:

!Retired!

You don't seem upset about it, so maybe you've just given up and will just continue to grab your ankles and take the pounding. I eventually got a second job and built that to the point where it provides me most of my income and investment funds. It hasn't been easy, and I would have preferred to have just one job.

Without a union, things are never going to improve for us, so perhaps you need to think of something different.

Whenever I hear someone talk about the FedEx Retirement "Plan", I remember the old Chris Farley character from SNL, the "motivational speaker" who lived in his van down by the river.

We need to stop being Fred's pawns.
Not misguided, just realistic. You've been on here for how long? What's changed since you and Ricochet started your preaching? My wife, her ex-husband and many other people I know don't get ANY pension of any kind from their companies. 401K match, yes. But, not a pension.
In other words you are living in a very austere manner in order to assure a secure retirement which in turn means that you are in reality subsidizing the pension plan by committing a disproportionate share of your take home pay to that plan. If working for express means living in squalor in order to be assured a secure retirement then I ask you why do YOU continue to work for them?
I'm not having steak or seafood every week, but that's fine with me. The kids don't like seafood anyway. As for why I stay at FedEx. Let's see....I moved from NY-->South-->Rocky Mountains with no loss of seniority, benefits or retirement savings and I live pretty comfortably in a 2000 sqft, 4 B/R, 3 BA house on 1/4 acre at the end of a cul-de-sac. Would you leave if you were me?

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Not misguided, just realistic. You've been on here for how long? What's changed since you and Ricochet started your preaching? My wife, her ex-husband and many other people I know don't get ANY pension of any kind from their companies. 401K match, yes. But, not a pension.

I'm not having steak or seafood every week, but that's fine with me. The kids don't like seafood anyway. As for why I stay at FedEx. Let's see....I moved from NY-->South-->Rocky Mountains with no loss of seniority, benefits or retirement savings and I live pretty comfortably in a 2000 sqft, 4 B/R, 3 BA house on 1/4 acre at the end of a cul-de-sac. Would you leave if you were me?

I'm not you. Do what you want because it's obvious Fred loves you.