Retro check overpaid

kingOFchester

Major screw up.

Not sure the government would refund excess taxes in this situation until 2014 taxes are filed.

UPS should allow payment to be made over several months minus any excess taxes paid. Once April 15th 2015 hits, they can once again make more deductions from paycheck to get the excess taxes paid they floated. All costs in figuring out this mess should be on them. That is the fairest way to do it.

Example:
Employee received $200.00 and paid $50.00 in taxes. Should of gotten $100.00 that would of been taxed at $25.00. Employee pays back $75.00 over the next few months. After April 15th 2015, employee then pays back the $25.00 in excess taxes.

Last edited:

flyersfan

So I found out last night UPS screwed up and over paid me on my retro check and now wants me to pay them back $549 wtf so what now i get to work for almost nothing the next 4 weeks

Wow,that really sucks,file a grievance!I only got $342,it paid my car payment.I calculated my hrs,it was correct.My son got $360,he works more hrs then me,he worked on the weekends during peak too.He got another check last week for $109,they underpaid him,he didn't look into it as why he did,he was happy about that.A feeder driver got another another check as well,it was for .30!!!!!!!,they took out .2 for taxes!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Wow,that really sucks,file a grievance!I only got $342,it paid my car payment.I calculated my hrs,it was correct.My son got $360,he works more hrs then me,he worked on the weekends during peak too.He got another check last week for $109,they underpaid him,he didn't look into it as why he did,he was happy about that.A feeder driver got another another check as well,it was for .30!!!!!!!,they took out .2 for taxes!

They key is you took the time to calculate your hours and you knew the check was correct. I assume that you would have budgeted accordingly had you been overpaid.

Kae3106

Major screw up.

Not sure the government would refund excess taxes in this situation until 2014 taxes are filed.

UPS should allow payment to be made over several months minus any excess taxes paid. Once April 15th 2015 hits, they can once again make more deductions from paycheck to get the excess taxes paid they floated. All costs in figuring out this mess should be on them. That is the fairest way to do it.

Example:
Employee received $200.00 and paid $50.00 in taxes. Should of gotten $100.00 that would of been taxed at $25.00. Employee pays back $75.00 over the next few months. After April 15th 2015, employee then pays back the $25.00 in excess taxes.

If the overpayment and the repayment occur within the same tax year, an adjustment is made in the payroll system to reduce the wages and taxes so they do not even appear on the employee's W-2. As long as it is within the same tax year, no one should be repaying the gross amount; only the net should be repaid.

Once it crosses tax years, the excess taxes can no longer be recovered and the employee will have to repay the gross amount and claim a refund from the IRS.

Bottom rung

That's what makes the most sense to me, I dont understand why they're having the employees pay back 90% of the net.

Sent using BrownCafe App

Kae3106

Kae, how often are payroll taxes forwarded to the government? Is it weekly, bi-weekly, monthly, bi-monthly, quarterly, semi-annually or annually?

Filing frequency is dependent on the size of the company's payroll and the jurisdiction's preference. So for a large company like UPS, taxes are deposited daily with the IRS. Some of the individual states and cities prefer the money a little less frequently. Also, there are many different UPS companies of various sizes which can have different deposit schedules from each other.

However, all of the filings/tax returns are done quarterly so if there was an overpayment in one week and a repayment in another, it will all net out on the quarterly return.

Kae3106

Bottom rung

Small amount? Guys are being told to payback over nine hundred dollars. So they get to keep fifty dollars of what should have been a five hundred dollar check. So what happens with all the money that the government has of these employees being told to give it back?

Sent using BrownCafe App

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Small amount? Guys are being told to payback over nine hundred dollars. So they get to keep fifty dollars of what should have been a five hundred dollar check. So what happens with all the money that the government has of these employees being told to give it back?

Sent using BrownCafe App

Go back and re-read his posts more carefully as he fully explained how the process works.

iowa boy

If the overpayment and the repayment occur within the same tax year, an adjustment is made in the payroll system to reduce the wages and taxes so they do not even appear on the employee's W-2. As long as it is within the same tax year, no one should be repaying the gross amount; only the net should be repaid.

Once it crosses tax years, the excess taxes can no longer be recovered and the employee will have to repay the gross amount and claim a refund from the IRS.

Kae,

According to the piece of paper that says I was overpaid by UPS, the company is making me repay the gross earnings that were paid to me. And going by what you said in your first paragraph quoted above, I shouldn't have to repay the gross, only the net after taxes.

Can you clarify this for me one way or the other as it doesn't seem right that I don't get the taxes I paid on the overpayment back due to UPSs' miscalculation.

Zenkenite

Kae,

According to the piece of paper that says I was overpaid by UPS, the company is making me repay the gross earnings that were paid to me. And going by what you said in your first paragraph quoted above, I shouldn't have to repay the gross, only the net after taxes.

Can you clarify this for me one way or the other as it doesn't seem right that I don't get the taxes I paid on the overpayment back due to UPSs' miscalculation.
I would like this clarification as well as I was also given the gross amount to pay back.

Corky_Calhoun

So I was approached today to sign a sheet about retro pay fudge up. I was told that I owe the most back. Lets just say its close to $1000. Ya know, no big deal, whatever, I have plenty in the bank.

But my biggest gripe is they say I owe back over $50 than I received in my retro check. Not only that, but they say I need to pay it back in the minimum of 20 weeks.

So let me get this straight. They screw by giving me a close to $1000 check and charge me more than what was paid? And they want it back at their accord.

Why can't we just drag this out and do it .70 an hour over the course of 40 weeks, like was originally miscalculated?

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
It amazes me how many people immediately spent the retro check the minute they got their hands on it, even if they knew it was more then they should have received. No wonder Dave Ramsey is rich.