return as a driver with an ADA rating?

turdbrown

Has anyone heard of someone returning to work as a driver with an ADA rating and not having to take another job in the bld. as a car washer or loader?

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
You need to be more specific.

While it has certainly happened in the past, I generally can't see the company creating a 22.3 job for a disabled driver and definitely not without bidding it out.

turdbrown

driver for over 11yrs. have had 3 different surgeries in that time frame. Never had any problems b4 this job. On comp now and going back to work soon to see if I can complete the job daily. still have severe pain and I am not sure what the outcome will be. No more medical treatment can be done. Not sure if they are going to give me an ADA rating restricting work hrs.Dr wanted me to come back working only 4 hrs a day. Told them that ups will not take me back with that restriction, so they want me to go back working 8-9hrs a day. Not sure if the dr. is gonna make that permanent.

Overpaid Union Thug

To me it seems logical that an employer should have to accommodate someone with an ADA rating as long as there is something available (there usually is) that their restrictions don't prevent them from doing. If its a fulltime employee then they should make every effort to find them 40 hours of work. If not then hours only. People that are injured on the job but can still work should never be hung out to dry. Especially in those hubs. Ive worked in two different hubs so I know there are plenty of opportunities for most ADA rated employees. There should be language in the contract that specifies that any jobs that are created for this purpose, including 22.3s, are to be filled by the injured employee first.

Sent using BrownCafe App

tacken

driver for over 11yrs. have had 3 different surgeries in that time frame. Never had any problems b4 this job. On comp now and going back to work soon to see if I can complete the job daily. still have severe pain and I am not sure what the outcome will be. No more medical treatment can be done. Not sure if they are going to give me an ADA rating restricting work hrs.Dr wanted me to come back working only 4 hrs a day. Told them that ups will not take me back with that restriction, so they want me to go back working 8-9hrs a day. Not sure if the dr. is gonna make that permanent.
Hope it works out for you. But has we no UPS really doesnt CARE we are all just bodies in the seat.

We have a PT evening air pick up driver that lost part of his arm below the elbow in an industrial accident at his FT job. UPS did not want to give him his job back and not sure all he had to do but eventually UPS brought him back to the same job. Restricted to an automatic.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less

You might have better luck using FMLA to reduce your work day/week in conjunction with getting on the 9.5 list. ADA accommodations are/can be made, but I don't know how if you would be able to get the results you need (work day reduction).

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

You need to be more specific.

While it has certainly happened in the past, I generally can't see the company creating a 22.3 job for a disabled driver and definitely not without bidding it out.

We had a driver who had a bad habit of hitting things (3 Tier III's in one calendar year) so the union and company agreed to create a 22.3 just for her. No one else is allowed to bid on it until she either retires or separates.

turdbrown

We had a driver who had a bad habit of hitting things (3 Tier III's in one calendar year) so the union and company agreed to create a 22.3 just for her. No one else is allowed to bid on it until she either retires or separates.
thx for your advise. I am already on the 9.5 list. i don't know why they let certain drivers get away with certain things. There is a driver who was bitten by a dog and now they are afraid to do resi stops. Now they don't have to do any. Put them on a bus. rt and took away the resi stops. only doing 40 stops a day and on the freeway at 510pm with all breaks and lunch taken!! If they have no physical limitations, but a mental one. how can they be allowed to work as a full time driver and not have to do or help with resi stops? Why can't the consider getting me back with an hr restriction?! Bottom line is that UPS can do as they please. Guess I need to be a girl in order to get treated differently!

turdbrown

They did? Thought you were fired if you had 3 in a yr? I love driving, but hate the UPS BS! Really want to try to do all I can to continue to be a full time driver. There was a driver in our ctr. that had a heart issue. He was able to become a car washer.

wayfair

swollen member
We've had 2 drivers in the past year that have had to medically retire from injuries at work.
Rehab that elbow!!
I've had the same surgery. I can still do the job, but can't play ball anymore

Johney

You may get a disability rating, but that doesn't mean you can't perform the job. I know guys who have a 15% or higher disability rating and still drive friend/t.

turdbrown

We've had 2 drivers in the past year that have had to medically retire from injuries at work.
Rehab that elbow!!
I've had the same surgery. I can still do the job, but can't play ball anymore
trying! been having a difficult time with liberty approving my treatment! I am staying within my dr.'s restrictions. no pushing/pulling/lifting over 5lbs. gonna start my 9th work hardening apt. next week. Feel like the lack of effort on liberties part has hindered my rehab progress.there was a span of 6 weeks that I had no pt approved. I was still doing what I could 2 times a week at the gym to replicate the pt that I was doing. trying to stay positive, but it's hard.

Johney

What I can't seem to get is while they drag their feet giving authorization for procedures they are still paying comp pay. You would think the faster they give approval,the faster you get back to work and no longer need comp pay. Like stepping over a dollar to pick up a nickel.

turdbrown

What I can't seem to get is while they drag their feet giving authorization for procedures they are still paying comp pay. You would think the faster they give approval,the faster you get back to work and no longer need comp pay. Like stepping over a dollar to pick up a nickel.
I had heard from my pt guy that ups gives a bank of $ to liberty to treat a claim. the $ that they do not spend is their profit! So it's in their best interest to not approve treatment. It's all about $! Nothing that ups or liberty makes any sense!