riding bike to work

ups2000

Any one ride a bike to work . i only live .3 miles to work and i am gonna start riding my bike since weather is nice now. If any one does do you lock it to a the fence assuming u have one around your hub .i am debating wether to lock it or just leave it by the guard shack. what are your suggestons.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
If you left a bike unlocked by our guard shack, it would be stolen in no time at all. I would put a chain through the frame and lock it to something solid.

ups2000

i have thought of walking but then i would have do listen to every ups driver that drove by asking me if i needed a ride.if i could hop the fence i would walk but that isnt an option.

browndude

i have thought about riding a bike to work myself and i would if i lived a little closer but i live around 13 miles away and dont really want to spend an hour and a half both ways

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Any one ride a bike to work . i only live .3 miles to work and i am gonna start riding my bike since weather is nice now. If any one does do you lock it to a the fence assuming u have one around your hub .i am debating wether to lock it or just leave it by the guard shack. what are your suggestons.
I ride my bike and bring it upstairs and lock it to the bench in the locker room. Just ask mgmt if you can chain it up near the vending machines.

i have thought about riding a bike to work myself and i would if i lived a little closer but i live around 13 miles away and dont really want to spend an hour and a half both ways
I've lived as far away as 16 miles and rode my bike. It's good for the body and mind, plus you save tons on gas and you'll be the you that you remember from years ago. Right now my commute is 22 miles round trip and this takes about 35+/- minutes one way depending on wind and such.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
that road isn't safe for a car nor truck, no way would I attempt to ride a bike.
Also living along the coast one has to deal with ocean wind gusts, thus making a bike ride into a long walk.

BrownNinjaz

Me! I don't know how many miles, but it takes 15 min driving. I assume it would take me about 20-25 min on bicycle. I have a good road bicycle, not a very expensive one.. it cost me $650. To be honest, I love to ride bicycle for a lot of miles. It makes me feel good. If I get hired at UPS, I am going to work with my road bicycle.

AirTechSpec

I ride regularly 6+ miles one-way. I used to park under a stairway, but they threatened to throw the bike outside. Luckily they accomodated by putting a bike rack in. Only two out of a couple hundred people in our building (GOC - Louisville) ride regularly. Lot's of Lexus SUV's and Bimmers, in the parking lot though.

If you lock it to a fence or a tree, make sure it is far enough away from any curbs that no car or truck bumper can reach it. But kudos to you for wanting to ride your bike. And definitely use a lock. Even next to the guard shack, you need to lock it up.

raceanoncr

If anyone does decide to ride to work, BE CAREFUL!!!!!

We've had 2 package car drivers killed riding their bikes to work in the last few years by motorists.

diesel96

If anyone does decide to ride to work, BE CAREFUL!!!!!

We've had 2 package car drivers killed riding their bikes to work in the last few years by motorists.

When riding my motorcycle to work when the weather is nice, as I pass cyclists on the shoulder or in the bike lane, I say to myself "Man, those guys are crazy"...

moreluck

golden ticket member
If they are hit by cars it's because 90% of them ride in the road and don't obey the rules of the road. I've watched them just sail through intersections, not slowing down and against the light. I don't care if it's clear, if the light is red for me, it's red for them too. They act like they are above the law and the exception to the law. I hate being near bikes and I hate stupid pedestrians too....like the mom walking her kid across the street without pushing the button....nice life-lesson lady..... idiot!! Don't worry, I hate the phone-talking drivers too. We have a law, but you'd never know it. IDIOTS....they vote too!!! :biting:

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
If they are hit by cars it's because 90% of them ride in the road and don't obey the rules of the road. I've watched them just sail through intersections, not slowing down and against the light. I don't care if it's clear, if the light is red for me, it's red for them too. They act like they are above the law and the exception to the law. I hate being near bikes and I hate stupid pedestrians too....like the mom walking her kid across the street without pushing the button....nice life-lesson lady..... idiot!! Don't worry, I hate the phone-talking drivers too. We have a law, but you'd never know it. IDIOTS....they vote too!!! :biting:
I hope by you saying "THEY" you don't mean, them ALL. I'm a cyclist and I ride on the road with the cars to the right in the slow lane but just to the left of the white line, if there is no bike lane. I obey all the rules, because I AM a vehicle, just like an automobile. If I'm "too far" in the road, it's usually due to debris or being cautious of other cars or pedestrians. Please give us cyclists a wide margin, because you never know. Even the idiot cyclists deserve to live, though I do agree that they need to obey the road rules. I'm not just riding my bike to piss people off. It's a lifestyle for me.

000_0105.jpg
000_0105.jpg

SmithBarney

Lets see three locations.
#1. 10 miles steep downhill to work, I did it once when on preload(yes at 3am in the morning) the ride home however was murder.
#2. 8 miles through a valley floor very nice ride, about 22minutes to work. I did it often and saved tons on gas.. drivers for the most part very good in that part of the country.
#3. I lived 5 miles from work, and wouldn't even consider riding to work.. Drivers around this area scare me.

Riders at my center just rolled in and put the bikes against the back wall... of course we had no security, just walk/ride right in the overhead doors.(ok ok we used the people doors)