Right to Work

Inthegame

I'm glad there's people like you
I wish I could repay the compliment but I'd be lying...
because it will keep the union president from having his new Harley repo'd.
My union president has a paid for e-bike. Not likely to be repo'ed.
maybe he'll give you a "stop the war on workers" bumper sticker to put next to your Hillary bumper sticker.
Get it straight buddy, it's a Bernie sticker.

BrownMonk

Old fart Package Car Driver
I've been a FT driver for 13 years. I have never "been in trouble" or received the first warning letter. If you do what you're supposed to do, then you don't need "representation" (and I use that term loosely.) If I were to screw up bad enough to warrant getting in trouble, then I'll take responsibility for it. I understand the difference between right and wrong, I'm honest, and I know how to do the job. I don't work harder at not working than I do actually working. THOSE are the employees that need the union to sit in there and try to convince management that they're not a brain dead idiots- even when their actions say otherwise.

Beyond that, there in no "fight" in the union. They do a world class con job convincing weak minded people that they couldn't survive without them watching your back.

I hope you never get one of the many bad sups. Your opinion may change quickly.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
I've been a FT driver for 13 years. I have never "been in trouble" or received the first warning letter. If you do what you're supposed to do, then you don't need "representation" (and I use that term loosely.) If I were to screw up bad enough to warrant getting in trouble, then I'll take responsibility for it. I understand the difference between right and wrong, I'm honest, and I know how to do the job. I don't work harder at not working than I do actually working. THOSE are the employees that need the union to sit in there and try to convince management that they're not a brain dead idiots- even when their actions say otherwise.

Beyond that, there in no "fight" in the union. They do a world class con job convincing weak minded people that they couldn't survive without them watching your back.
Riiiiighhhttt, everyone ever accused of doing anything wrong has always been guilty.
If only guilty people are charged with crimes, why do we even have a judicial system, punish them all right away when they are accused......

wide load

Starting wage is a waste of time.

Obviously UPS does a way better job convincing weak minded ass kissers that they should follow blindly.

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
I have no idea why anyone applies for this job. But 95% don't survive their first year so clearly they didn't actually want a union job. Hell, I found out about the union during the interview.

What argument is there against right to work? It's basically, "we want to keep stealing money from poor new hires" or "we don't want mexicans working our government-protected jobs that we used nepotism to get". It's demonized as anti-union but that's a lie, what kind of union has to force people to join? A union not worth having. Besides, right to work states have created twice as many jobs as non-RTW states since 1980.

A union is not worth having if you're interested in low wages and poor or nonexistent benefits. I'll tell you my argument against right to work laws. Those laws say the union is required to represent non-union bargaining members if they get disciplined. Why should my dues pay for the union to waste time representing a scab? I notice none of you cheerleaders for RTW mention that part.

So your principles are for not making scabs pay union dues if they don't want to, while they benefit from what dues paying members have worked and fought for? But you don't care about union members having to pay benefits for scabs that opt out? So your fairness argument holds no water.

The whole idea of a union is strength in numbers. That's the only way it works in non-professional jobs. And that's the bargain you get when you want to get a job with this pay and benefits. Without that unity, we would have none of the things we have.

Are there problems with unions? Of course. You'd be blind or ignorant to believe you would never have problems with the union, like you would with any other organization representing you. You'll never get what you always want. But if you weigh the good against the bad, the good towers over the bad.

People get spoiled at this job, and tend to ignore what they have when they are grieved. That's horribly short-sided and just lazy. People love to bitch and moan about the union, like it's some dictatorship in some far off land, but they can't comprehend the union is looking at them in the mirror. Almost without exception, the guys complaining about the union are the ones you NEVER see at a union meeting. If you've got a problem, you've got a place and a voice to air that problem if you take some ownership of what you're always complaining about. But most people, in my experience, would rather take the easy way out, and blame someone else for their problems. It's the new American way.

You things would be so great without a union? Uh-huh. Then why are contractors that so often haul our freight get paid a fraction of what we get paid? According to your thesis, they would be doing just fine on their own. But clearly, they're not.

And the data shows RTW states have lower wages and benefits than states without.

“Right-to-Work” States Still Have Lower Wages

Dracula

We don't get the right to sign any union list until after a year. We don't get the right to a pension until after 5 years. Which management, who the union stewards serve, tries to fire us before we make 5 years. The average wait time to become a driver is 8 years. But this is all normal in a non-RTW state.

After over a year in, I was written up the other day over misloads. I've always have misloads, I can't help it, a combination of Alexia and ADHD both verified by multiple doctors and DNA tests. I read the numbers out of order, triple check, and misload 1 in 100. When I worked in trucks done by store or address; zero misloads. Then they switch me back to the HIN trucks and scream at me about it viciously; as if there's something I can do.

I hope you're not serious.

Where I'm at, they can't find enough people to fill the open driver positions. A seniority part-timer could easily go driving with a year seniority. It has nothing to do with RTW. Simple supply and demand.

By the way, if things are so bad for you at UPS, poor pay, poor benefits, poor treatment and you could get, as you say, "a job that pays double and offers better benefits plus bonuses", and that you would, "probably better off on welfare than working as a Preloader", then why don't you do the smart thing and go do it?

You sound like a typical millennial, crying about how unfair the world is, and afraid to take responsibility for himself.

Pathetic.

Dracula

I will be the first person in my building to stop paying dues as soon as this contract is up. My state just went RTW, and I can't wait to get a $22 raise each week. Our union is less than worthless. Maybe if they actually have to EARN the money you give them, they'll start actually doing what you pay them to do. As it stands, they have no accountability and take the money you worked for regardless if they earn it or not.

Don't give me the BS about how we get paid so much because of the union. The union has been nowhere to be found as UPS has slowly made this job unbearable for most people. Even with the "industry leading wages", they have nobody walking in that door these days to be a driver. That's why you're starting to see guys with tattoos and dreads. They have to take whatever they can get.

I'm sure you're at the union meetings telling your local leadership about all of this, right? Sure.

wide load

Starting wage is a waste of time.
I will be the first person in my building to stop paying dues as soon as this contract is up. My state just went RTW, and I can't wait to get a $22 raise each week. Our union is less than worthless. Maybe if they actually have to EARN the money you give them, they'll start actually doing what you pay them to do. As it stands, they have no accountability and take the money you worked for regardless if they earn it or not.

Don't give me the BS about how we get paid so much because of the union. The union has been nowhere to be found as UPS has slowly made this job unbearable for most people. Even with the "industry leading wages", they have nobody walking in that door these days to be a driver. That's why you're starting to see guys with tattoos and dreads. They have to take whatever they can get.
You'd be the first one in my building to quit.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
A union is not worth having if you're interested in low wages and poor or nonexistent benefits. I'll tell you my argument against right to work laws. Those laws say the union is required to represent non-union bargaining members if they get disciplined. Why should my dues pay for the union to waste time representing a scab? I notice none of you cheerleaders for RTW mention that part.

So your principles are for not making scabs pay union dues if they don't want to, while they benefit from what dues paying members have worked and fought for? But you don't care about union members having to pay benefits for scabs that opt out? So your fairness argument holds no water.

The whole idea of a union is strength in numbers. That's the only way it works in non-professional jobs. And that's the bargain you get when you want to get a job with this pay and benefits. Without that unity, we would have none of the things we have.

Are there problems with unions? Of course. You'd be blind or ignorant to believe you would never have problems with the union, like you would with any other organization representing you. You'll never get what you always want. But if you weigh the good against the bad, the good towers over the bad.

People get spoiled at this job, and tend to ignore what they have when they are grieved. That's horribly short-sided and just lazy. People love to bitch and moan about the union, like it's some dictatorship in some far off land, but they can't comprehend the union is looking at them in the mirror. Almost without exception, the guys complaining about the union are the ones you NEVER see at a union meeting. If you've got a problem, you've got a place and a voice to air that problem if you take some ownership of what you're always complaining about. But most people, in my experience, would rather take the easy way out, and blame someone else for their problems. It's the new American way.

You things would be so great without a union? Uh-huh. Then why are contractors that so often haul our freight get paid a fraction of what we get paid? According to your thesis, they would be doing just fine on their own. But clearly, they're not.

And the data shows RTW states have lower wages and benefits than states without.

One of the best posts, I have ever read in the Union Forum.

Where I'm at, they can't find enough people to fill the open driver positions. A seniority part-timer could easily go driving with a year seniority.

The wait time here.... could be as soon as you gain seniority.

(the company waived the 6 month requirement years ago)

I'm sure you're at the union meetings telling your local leadership about all of this, right? Sure.

Members like this (and I use the term loosely) never show up.

One minute they're thanking you, next minute.... MF'n you.

Pfft.

It's the nature of the job.

I don't see them standing in line.... wanting mine. :biggrin:

-Bug-

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS

Preach it brotha

Peak Cardboard

Your post indicates that you hold your ankles more than a diad. I'm glad there's people like you, because it will keep the union president from having his new Harley repo'd. maybe he'll give you a "stop the war on workers" bumper sticker to put next to your Hillary bumper sticker.:thumbup1:
Your post indicates you're a rat scab.

possibleparrot381

I have no idea why anyone applies for this job. But 95% don't survive their first year so clearly they didn't actually want a union job. Hell, I found out about the union during the interview.

What argument is there against right to work? It's basically, "we want to keep stealing money from poor new hires" or "we don't want mexicans working our government-protected jobs that we used nepotism to get". It's demonized as anti-union but that's a lie, what kind of union has to force people to join? A union not worth having. Besides, right to work states have created twice as many jobs as non-RTW states since 1980.
Good thinking you're not like the idiots here

Up In Smoke

Desperate? Also why pay union dues when you're not getting any benefits out of it?
Reasons to be a Union employee.

1. Your not an "at will employee"
2. Grievance procedure, you have the right to question your employer
3. Your job classification is protected
4. Your safety and facility cleanliness is protected
5. Your wages, vacations, benefits are protected
6. Your seniority is protected
7. The Union provides a shop representative.
These are just my top reasons.