RIP Patrick Swayze

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Patrick Swayze passed away from cancer today. I enjoyed a lot of his movies, like "Dirty Dancing" and "Road House". He was a talented guy.

Ms.PacMan

Dang, I liked him too and was hoping he'd survive - unrealistic maybe but I was hoping.

My dad died of cancer (lymphoblastic lymphoma) at age 47 on this day 23 years ago.

P

pickup

Patrick Swayze passed away from cancer today. I enjoyed a lot of his movies, like "Dirty Dancing" and "Road House". He was a talented guy.

I guess Dirty Dancing and Ghost were the pictures that everyone liked. I confess, I liked "Road House" which is a cult favorite of some. After "Ghost" he had his choices of scripts and picked poorly and faded in oblivion for a few years. Black dog was one of his comeback films that didn't do so well but it was about trucking and I couldn't help but like it , however improbable many of the happenings in the movie were.

Nobody puts baby in a corner -was that what he said to Jerry Orbach in dirty dancing?

For some reason , I was compelled to watch some clips from Road House last night on u-tube and remarked to myself, wow look at how young he was, but then again so was I .

And let's not forget the film "breakpoint" where he played a surfer/bank robber starring with Keanu reeves. Another cult favorite of some.

Rest in Peace, Patrick. Go into the light.

over9five

Staff member
Wow, he was married for 34 years to a girl he met when he was 18. Not many Hollywooders can claim any sort of length in their marriages.

Gotta respect that.

P

pickup

I liked him in "North and South". Think I'll have to see it again.

I think that was a miniseries on one of the major networks.(when they were major and when they did epic miniseries during a sweeps month) I didn't see much of it other than a scene where Patrick Swayze is having a conversation with a friend while they are casually fighting and slaying mexicans with swords in the mexican american war .(another american land grab). I assume he and his friend would be on opposite sides during the civil war.

ajblakejr

Age quod agis
This is not what I needed to read today.

So my personal Pancreatic Cancer Scorecard takes another hit...

Sucks.

I have learned this lesson in my life.

Pancreatic Cancer and Ovarian Cancer - They get a score card.

They both are carpetbaggers that take residence in the still of the night.
When you figure it out...it is often too late.

Please take a quick look at this PSA.
I hate it because it is so damn true...

[video=youtube;aBpJPDukGek]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBpJPDukGek[/video]

Last edited:

wkmac

I guess Dirty Dancing and Ghost were the pictures that everyone liked. I confess, I liked "Road House" which is a cult favorite of some. After "Ghost" he had his choices of scripts and picked poorly and faded in oblivion for a few years. Black dog was one of his comeback films that didn't do so well but it was about trucking and I couldn't help but like it , however improbable many of the happenings in the movie were.

Nobody puts baby in a corner -was that what he said to Jerry Orbach in dirty dancing?

For some reason , I was compelled to watch some clips from Road House last night on u-tube and remarked to myself, wow look at how young he was, but then again so was I .

And let's not forget the film "breakpoint" where he played a surfer/bank robber starring with Keanu reeves. Another cult favorite of some.

Rest in Peace, Patrick. Go into the light.

I enjoyed Pointbreak as well but IMO Swayze's best movie as an actor was To Wong Foo. He so became the character Vida that you lost sight of Patrick Swayze and only saw Vida. Considering his many action roles like Red Dawn, Road House and PointBreak, I was just blown away he could do that. Now Wesley Snipes made for one ugly drag queen :happy-very: and John Leguizamo never pulled it off but Swayze captured the look and grace and how he did I'll never know.

Also enjoyed watching Swayze work with Sam Elliot in Roadhouse who I've always liked. Especially the Lamour movies he did with Tom Selleck. I still love westerns in those style and the Eastwood "Man with no name" genre.

Not well known but Patrick did a sci-fi movie in 1987' with his wife Lisa Niemi called Steel Dawn. The only one they worked together on to my knowledge but glad now they had that chance.

RIP and thanks for the everything Julie Newmar!

wkmac

This is not what I needed to read today.

So my personal Pancreatic Cancer Scorecard takes another hit...

Sucks.

I have learned this lesson in my life.

Pancreatic Cancer and Ovarian Cancer - They get a score card.

They both are carpetbaggers that take residence in the still of the night.
When you figure it out...it is often too late.

Please take a quick look at this PSA.
I hate it because it is so damn true...

Chin UP! There was a time when any cancer was a death sentence and look how far we've come. My own mother-n-law would be alive and well today if she came down with the same cancer that she did in April of 1980. My dad's cancer of 3 years ago would have been lights out 10 to 15 years ago. We're not home free yet but each day brings more and more closer to home.

Glass over half full not over half empty!

ajblakejr

Age quod agis
Dang, I liked him too and was hoping he'd survive - unrealistic maybe but I was hoping.

My dad died of cancer (lymphoblastic lymphoma) at age 47 on this day 23 years ago.

Ms.PacMan

Damn.

Freaking cancer. I can't imagine how it was to watch your father battle such a vial invader at such a young age.

I pondered this today and you answered my question.
Do you ever forget the day a parent dies?

I just finshed my first round of first's. First Thanksgiving, First Christmas, First Father's Day, First Preseason Packer Game...

Cancer.

And I too wanted Patrick to make it.
He was my hope.

Pancreatic Cancer took my father.

Ovarian Cancer took my 15 year old cousin.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Boy what timing

My son was sick last week, thought it was the flu. Got up Friday AM and took a shower and said he was feeling better. I took my daughter to the jobsite and wife went to work.

On the way home at 7:30ish, wife called and said get home now. He was so week he could not hold his head up, and really off his rocker. I had to carry him to the car, then to the ER once we got there.

Blood pressure was 70/20, heart rate was over 200, and he was incoherent when they asked questions. When the white blood cell count came back, with the absence of any viral indicators, they mentioned he might have leukemia or pancreatic cancer.

He is currently in ICU, and we are playing the waiting game.

Life sometimes throws you down and stomps you. IT takes faith to get up and keep on going.

Losing a parent at any age is tough, I can not even imagine at a young age.

d

bigbrownhen

Best wishes and prayers to your family Danny. We went through a similar situation when our oldest was 5. It ended up being an infection in his hip socket, but we heard the cancer word as well at first. Hope it all turns out ok.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I have always liked Patrick S. I think he was a talented actor. May he rest in peace.

Danny, I am praying and hoping that all goes well. Please let K know as well. You are in my thoughts and prayers. Please keep us posted.

Ms.PacMan

Sorry to hear that Ms. ... that's too young and i know you've missed that time together.

Hoke

Ms.PacMan

Damn.

Freaking cancer. I can't imagine how it was to watch your father battle such a vial invader at such a young age.

I pondered this today and you answered my question.
Do you ever forget the day a parent dies?

Pancreatic Cancer took my father.

Ovarian Cancer took my 15 year old cousin.

Thanks for the thoughts. Dying at 15 is really not fair.

He is currently in ICU, and we are playing the waiting game.

d

I hope it turns out to be nothing. Please keep us posted.