Road Runners.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
3:04:55, was on target for sub 3 again, but got tight and had to slow it down. This was a great race and an awesome town. I think I'll sit down for awhile...........NOT!

watdaflock?

Ran in college. PR for 5k is 15:42. My 8k pr for cross country was mid 26s...can't remember the exact seconds.
I'm nowhere near this type of condition anymore but still like to waddle a few miles a week.
Started training with Bob Schul (1964 Olympic Gold medalist) in high school.

As for prerace jitters - focus on the little things. Proper warm up, get your heart rate slightly elevated before the start of the race. Hitting your first mile split.
What is the course like? What is your race strategy?
If you are racing someone or a team in particular whats your plan?

Do you run negative splits, or go hard from the start, maybe just go by feel and kick at the end?

________

I went back and read a few more of the past pages - you ran the Boston Marathon in 3 hours 5 minutes?! Holy nuts that's awesome!

I ran one marathon in college. Was on pace to break 3 hours until mile 22. Those last four miles were stupid. Full marathons are stupid. (haha j.k) Bonking in a marathon is stupid.

I really like half marathons. ;) 13 is the perfect distance.

Last edited:

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
Austin, Steve does not need any tips from you when it comes to running. He knows to wear the lightest shoes possible. :)
Steve Austin !!!!!!
upload_2014-10-14_21-5-5.jpeg

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Ran in college. PR for 5k is 15:42. My 8k pr for cross country was mid 26s...can't remember the exact seconds.
I'm nowhere near this type of condition anymore but still like to waddle a few miles a week.
Started training with Bob Schul (1964 Olympic Gold medalist) in high school.

As for prerace jitters - focus on the little things. Proper warm up, get your heart rate slightly elevated before the start of the race. Hitting your first mile split.
What is the course like? What is your race strategy?
If you are racing someone or a team in particular whats your plan?

Do you run negative splits, or go hard from the start, maybe just go by feel and kick at the end?

________

I went back and read a few more of the past pages - you ran the Boston Marathon in 3 hours 5 minutes?! Holy nuts that's awesome!

I ran one marathon in college. Was on pace to break 3 hours until mile 22. Those last four miles were stupid. Full marathons are stupid. (haha j.k) Bonking in a marathon is stupid.

I really like half marathons. ;) 13 is the perfect distance.
Thanks Cosmo and C-Ups.

Thanks Austin, your advice is well received. I did warm up, especially since it was upper 40's at the start. Nutrition was spot on and wasn't super jittery at race start. The problem with running in a city with tall buildings is the intermittent GPS signal. I ran with my training partner and our first mile according to his watch was 6:32 and my watch was 5:37, LOL. I can tell you for SURE that we did NOT run a 5:37 first mile.

I normally run even splits, picking it up at the end, for some negative splits. I was fine up through the 35k mark, holding a steady 6:25 pace, when I tightened up. Looking back I now realize what happened. On one of the turns as I was following my training partner, he suddenly veered to the right because of a traffic cone. Seeing this cone at the last second, I had to hurdle it, which I think threw my back out a bit, causing me to favor my left side. I didn't feel this until mile 18, when my left glute/hamstring/foot, started talking to me. Thankfully I was able to hold on to a 7:30ish pace for the next 8 miles, to finish just over 3 hours.

Oh and btw, I ran 3:05 in 2013 NYC and 2:53 in 2013 Boston. Had I maintained pace, as my training partner did, I would have set a new personal best. He finished Chicago in 2:49!!!

Upstate, is that a "light in the loafers" reference? ;)