Road Runners.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
This is for all you runners out there. Not the runners and gunners, mind you. I'm talking about people who run/jog competetively. I've been running races, 5k to 13.1miles, for about 3 years now. I also cycle, but that's another story.

Any of you get pre-race jitters? I mean, where you wake up way early, the day of the race, and start pacing through your mind about how you'll run and how you think you will, or would like to do? I find that everyday before the race, I start playing out scenarios in my head. Just wondering if anybody else feels the same way.

I know, I know, this is the Brown Cafe, and not a sports forum. I'm just asking, because I know that there are a bunch of running UPS'ers out there, and I'd like some of your input, training tips would also help. Thanks.:peaceful:

BTW, I ran a 5k today. Finished 15th overall at 20:09. That's not shabby by some standards, but by my own, I sucked. I wanted to run under 19:30.:dissapointed:

rod

Retired 22 years
What a hoser!!! The guy that ran your race while you were on vacation did it in 19:15. You can do better Steve. Or else we will have to run with you until you do it right:peaceful:

BigBrownSanta

This is for all you runners out there. Not the runners and gunners, mind you. I'm talking about people who run/jog competetively. I've been running races, 5k to 13.1miles, for about 3 years now. I also cycle, but that's another story.

Any of you get pre-race jitters? I mean, where you wake up way early, the day of the race, and start pacing through your mind about how you'll run and how you think you will, or would like to do? I find that everyday before the race, I start playing out scenarios in my head. Just wondering if anybody else feels the same way.

I know, I know, this is the Brown Cafe, and not a sports forum. I'm just asking, because I know that there are a bunch of running UPS'ers out there, and I'd like some of your input, training tips would also help. Thanks.:peaceful:

BTW, I ran a 5k today. Finished 15th overall at 20:09. That's not shabby by some standards, but by my own, I sucked. I wanted to run under 19:30.:dissapointed:

I'm not a runner! I had enough of that in the Army!

But, I do experience what you go through when I am getting ready for my first big fishing trip of the year.:happy2:

A guy that was locally famous as a collegian track star, when asked how he set so many records, he said: "Run the first half of the race as fast as you can, on the second half run faster"
JC9.jpg

rod

Retired 22 years
A guy that was locally famous as a collegian track star, when asked how he set so many records, he said: "Run the first half of the race as fast as you can, on the second half run faster"
JC9.jpg

You need a fresh flash cube--that's one dark roadrunner

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ

LOL, if only! Here's what I looked like after the race. Not to mention that it was only 50 degrees out this morning.

attachment.php

attachment.php

100_7823.jpg
100_7827.jpg

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Always get butterflies on the starting line, it never goes away. It usually takes at least the first mile to shake them off, and I usually look at my watch after that first mile and realize I ran it faster than my goal pace. Maintaining the right pace in the early miles has always been my biggest challenge.

Heh, that might work for the sprint distances, but if you try that strategy for anything over 400 meters you're pretty much guaranteed to crash and burn.

outta hours

I usually do the 5k races with my brother in law and my sister in law. We have fun doing them. My times are mostly in the 26-29 minute range. But do consider that I am a feeder driver running in the Clydesdale division. I have actually won a few races in my age group 40-44. I will move up an age bracket this August to the 45-49 group.

I really don't get nervous before running because I am only it it for the fun of it. I enjoy the pre and post race scene. When I first began doing races I was a bit intimidated and felt out of place being 6'4" and weighing 260 pounds. Especially with all those skinny people around. I still find great joy whenever I pass one of those "runner" type bodies. I can only imagine what they must be thinking as I lumber on past them. That being said the running community is a very friendly bunch. Most are very helpful and encouraging.

I enjoy the feeling I get when I cross the finish line, it is quite a rush. My bro. and sis. in law both do triathlons. They have talked me into doing one so I have begun to cross train on the bike and in the pool. The bike is OK but I hate the pool. Thank goodness it's only a sprint tri and the swim is only 500 meters and not in the open water. I am confident I will be able to finish it and I think that will be quite a feeling when I cross that finish line.

My workouts vary from day to day as I am using a tri training program. I post my workouts and diet and my sis in law checks them for me. Nothing like seeing what you have eaten for the last week in print. Well that's enough babble from me I look forward to reading about you other UPS runners. Good thread STUG.

Always get butterflies on the starting line, it never goes away. It usually takes at least the first mile to shake them off, and I usually look at my watch after that first mile and realize I ran it faster than my goal pace. Maintaining the right pace in the early miles has always been my biggest challenge.

Heh, that might work for the sprint distances, but if you try that strategy for anything over 400 meters you're pretty much guaranteed to crash and burn.
If I remember right(from the newspaper article) the guy ran all races in a college track meet, of course he was in college in the 1940's. I would crash and burn in the first 20 yards. I only run when I am being chased by some big ugly critter.

QKRSTKR

Man, I just left the fishing forums and got excited when I seen that word.

This is the only roadrunner i know fish slow as u can. Great for crappie and bass.

Around here, our Road Runners are bigger.

LOL. I was only 50 yards away from him when I took the pic. Although this was a young bird.
Around here we don't like road runners(the birds) they raid quail nests and eat the eggs. Quail taste much better. I've seen probably hundreds of RRs in my life and have never heard one go " beep beep". Well other than the cartoon and the Plymouth.