Road test advice

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Seriously??? If you cannot turn left or right safely and need advice to do so, skip the road test, driving is not for you.

Why so many questions on road tests, is it not self explanatory. Geez if you don't know how to operate a motor vehicle don't make this your career. The way this question keeps getting asked you would think they were trying to get a job as a rocket scientist.

Tail swing?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Yea its the tail swing i was talking about just dont wanna hit nothing you know. But yea im overthinking it

You should be concerned about the differences between driving your personal car and driving a package car.

Keeping your car centered in the travel lane throughout the turn will lessen but not eliminate the effect of the tail swing. You should look over your left shoulder and check your left mirror as you begin the turn (to the left----opposite to the right) and then check your right mirror for tail swing.

Many of the answers you received are from veterans who have forgotten just how nervous they were before taking their road tests.

It would be very helpful if they let you practice in the yard before going for your test.

Good luck (and don't hit nuthin'.)

Brisket

As you are entering the intersection ready to turn , try and count to three, then make your turn ( oh wait that is IF you are testing in a 24 ft truck) , but you get the idea, add 3-5 seconds and then start cutting the wheel.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Try to stay off the cell while you are doing it. I see drivers leaving the building, already on their phones.

I was approaching an intersection and saw one of our guys sitting at the light on the right hand side with his DIAD in hand. When I got closer I leaned out and asked him what he was doing. He said he was looking at his next 5 stops. smh

Savvy412

This site reminds me of a art forum I used to go on that slowly got ruined because it was just a bunch of trolls . And then everyone just stopped going on it .

As for turning .. I deliver on a vey busy 2 lane road and have to make left and right turns off it all the time and I hate it . When I know I have to make a left I try to speed up and beat the cars coming in the right lane but basically...... You have to bleed out . And wait for the car to atleast half pass your package car. If you do it right as you come up your going to clip. Him with your tail swing. Any time you are taking a turn with 2 lanes (as long as coast is clear) turn and look at your camera so you can get a feel of how far out your pc goes into another lane . And for just normal turns , you just have to turn later then you normally would .

Savvy412

I was approaching an intersection and saw one of our guys sitting at the light on the right hand side with his DIAD in hand. When I got closer I leaned out and asked him what he was doing. He said he was looking at his next 5 stops. smh

So what. When I'm at a red light I throw my e brake on and maybe take a quick look at my next stops .. What's the big deal ?