road test for non driving combo bids

vin

A few weeks ago, my center posted 15 new 22.3 bids. I signed them all. They are currently in the process of having everyone road tested (in a manual transmission P1000). I took the road test last week and failed.
Afterwards I talked with several managers including the manager in HR in charge of filling the positions and the manager in charge of all the 22.3 positions. Everyone said there wasn't anything they could do. I understand their reasoning for having everyone road tested even though I don't completely agree with it and have gotten a different explanation from almost everyone I talked to.

My argument is that none of the jobs posted required any driving. I have absolutely no intention of ever going driving- whether it is in package, an air shuttle driver or whatever. The chances of me being forced to go out driving are also very low. Our center does have some automatic package cars and I feel I could pass the road test in one of those. I also wouldn't mind driving an automatic if I had to. I also feel that I am qualified for all the positions I bid on and the passing the road test is only for something that MIGHT happen in the future.

I was about 14 on the seniority bid list and I was told that there had only been 2 people that had successfully passed the road test, so there is a very real possibility they could go through the entire list and still not have every position filled. Even if I can't get one of these current bids, I am concerned because the HR guy I talked to said that if he goes through the entire bid list and there are still positions that have not been filled, he will hire from the outside. (unfortunately I don't know how many in total signed the bids)

These combo positions were created for us part timers to go full time, so the thought of them hiring from the outside to fill them is very troubling. I wouldn't have a problem if not enough people had signed the bids and they HAD to hire from the outside. However, a LOT people did sign the bids. I am sure that most if not all are in the same situation as me- they are qualified for the positions they bid on, other than being able to pass a road test in a manual transmission package car for a non driving position.

I plan on talking with a business agent at the union hall on Monday to see if I have any options. I was wondering if anyone here had any advice or other thoughts.

outamyway

Are you sure the combo position they had you trying out for didn't involve driving? You said there were 8 different postions avaliable. I can't imagine at least one didn't involve air runs of some kind.

It is very unlikely you would ever drive an automatic on a route. Closes air drivers will get to that will be a 300 and I personally would pass on them for a manual 500.

Best thing to do is learn to drive a manual.

trapper

If you are class d on your license, UPS can drug test you for property damage that is over $2500, even if it doesn't involve driving. This sounds suspicious. But then again they could be trying to be prepared for any need they might have. I would talk to the business agent.

705red

Browncafe Steward
Call your steward, local union, you dont have to take a road test for a non driving 22.3. File a grievance on ot asap. Ups might be attempting to say no one qualified so we dont have to create these new jobs!

HazMatMan

Call your steward, local union, you dont have to take a road test for a non driving 22.3. File a grievance on ot asap. Ups might be attempting to say no one qualified so we dont have to create these new jobs!

Your right 705. I am the perfect example. Full-time 22.3 job opening for hazmat responder, never took a road test..

W

westsideworma

Are you sure the combo position they had you trying out for didn't involve driving? You said there were 8 different postions avaliable. I can't imagine at least one didn't involve air runs of some kind.

It is very unlikely you would ever drive an automatic on a route. Closes air drivers will get to that will be a 300 and I personally would pass on them for a manual 500.

Best thing to do is learn to drive a manual.

none of them do, those combo jobs are filled already (ones involving air) I work at the same hub as him. I signed up all the sheets too but have yet to hear anything about them

browniehound

Vin, I don't mean to sound harsh here, but if I owned my own company I would not hire you for a full-time position if you could not take a truck and drive it around a block 3 or 4 times.

I don't care if your job requires you to drive or not. In my lifetime observations, if you don't have the ability to take a truck, drive 2 miles, make a few right hand turns, take it on the freeway and do a lane change, and then back it up once, I don't want to hire you for my company. Unless you are handicap, there is no excuse why an adult man (or woman) can't perform the above tasks.

If you can't, in my opinion it means there is something wrong with you mentally and I don't want you working for ME.

A few weeks ago, my center posted 15 new 22.3 bids. I signed them all. They are currently in the process of having everyone road tested (in a manual transmission P1000). I took the road test last week and failed.
Afterwards I talked with several managers including the manager in HR in charge of filling the positions and the manager in charge of all the 22.3 positions. Everyone said there wasn't anything they could do. I understand their reasoning for having everyone road tested even though I don't completely agree with it and have gotten a different explanation from almost everyone I talked to.

My argument is that none of the jobs posted required any driving. I have absolutely no intention of ever going driving- whether it is in package, an air shuttle driver or whatever. The chances of me being forced to go out driving are also very low. Our center does have some automatic package cars and I feel I could pass the road test in one of those. I also wouldn't mind driving an automatic if I had to. I also feel that I am qualified for all the positions I bid on and the passing the road test is only for something that MIGHT happen in the future.

I was about 14 on the seniority bid list and I was told that there had only been 2 people that had successfully passed the road test, so there is a very real possibility they could go through the entire list and still not have every position filled. Even if I can't get one of these current bids, I am concerned because the HR guy I talked to said that if he goes through the entire bid list and there are still positions that have not been filled, he will hire from the outside. (unfortunately I don't know how many in total signed the bids)

These combo positions were created for us part timers to go full time, so the thought of them hiring from the outside to fill them is very troubling. I wouldn't have a problem if not enough people had signed the bids and they HAD to hire from the outside. However, a LOT people did sign the bids. I am sure that most if not all are in the same situation as me- they are qualified for the positions they bid on, other than being able to pass a road test in a manual transmission package car for a non driving position.

I plan on talking with a business agent at the union hall on Monday to see if I have any options. I was wondering if anyone here had any advice or other thoughts.

outamyway

none of them do, those combo jobs are filled already (ones involving air) I work at the same hub as him. I signed up all the sheets too but have yet to hear anything about them

It does seem a little strange then. I would deffinately be asking questions.

I'll still stick to my original comment, you should learn to drive a manual transmission for future opportunities, work related or not:thumbup1:

705red

Browncafe Steward
Vin, I don't mean to sound harsh here, but if I owned my own company I would not hire you for a full-time position if you could not take a truck and drive it around a block 3 or 4 times.

I don't care if your job requires you to drive or not. In my lifetime observations, if you don't have the ability to take a truck, drive 2 miles, make a few right hand turns, take it on the freeway and do a lane change, and then back it up once, I don't want to hire you for my company. Unless you are handicap, there is no excuse why an adult man (or woman) can't perform the above tasks.

If you can't, in my opinion it means there is something wrong with you mentally and I don't want you working for ME.
Wow. let me know when you get your own company and ill come and assist them in joining a union.

Combo jobs are to be bid for the specific work they need done. We dont want inside combo doing non bid work, thats how the company attempts to cheat the system. Whats the difference between a package car driver being told he must drive the semi around the block 4 or 5 times to get the job. Its not in the job description for package car. He/she must meet the qualifications to do that bid 22.3 and thats it, no more no less.

vin

And why does my not being able to drive a standard matter to you? I can drive a truck few miles, make a few turns, change lanes, back it up, park it and I COULD pass the road test in an automatic.

My driving skills have absolutely nothing to do with my ability to do my current job, nor any of the positions I bid on. I have been with the company for more than 8 years. I come to work every day and am rarely late. I know almost every position on my shift. I work hard every day and always help others if they need it or are falling behind.

I have been trying to learn how to drive standard but I just haven't had a lot of time to practice or anyone who has a standard they are willing to let me practice on and is available the same time I am.

My point is that I would rather not have to take the road test but its not like I haven't been trying to learn.