Road Test - Harrisburg PA Hub

Cementups

Box Monkey
Thank you, I was hoping somebody from Hburg would be on here. Based on what you've seen/heard there does the 30 days preload sound legit? If they're hurting that bad for drivers is it possible I'd be driving a good bit as a cover driver? Even if it takes longer than 2 years I'm fine if I'm getting some decent hours driving technically PT.

HR lady said that if I pass the road test & computer training they'd send me to Integrad in April with pay and covered basic expenses. If they decide to train in house I'm fine with that, saves me from putting my dog in a kennel.

I was thinking about that if I cut my hair. It will suck but I'm focused on the future potential career/money so I'll do what I have to. Is your recommendation to cut my hair before the road test or hide it under a beanie?

they want you to do your 30 days inside they can "promote" from within. If you were hired of the street as a driver then they would have to make you full time immediately. The rarely do that. Most every driver has worked inside at some capacity. Once you are trained, your first year could be off and on as far as regular driving. But if you are not driving then you can always work in the hub. But from what I understand, they are so in need of drivers, most everyone works most every day, but don't quote me on that.

I know nothing of Integrad and how that works. We were not trained that way 22 years ago wen I started driving. I can tell you that if you are trained in house, it is far easier than if you are shipped to Maryland (or wherever they are doing it now) for Integrad. A friend of mine who is a retired center manager is sometimes one of the instructors and tells me of some real derelicts and numbskulls that they let through, so if you put in a good effort and do well, it is easy peasy.

As far as your hair, as @UpstateNYUPSer said, it will grow back You don't need a military cut but it can not touch your collar. Not saying it needs to be high and tight but cleaned up to say the least. As far as what you should do for your interview, that is totally up to you but I know I was raised that you dress/appear for the job you want, not the job you have.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
A friend of mine who is a retired center manager is sometimes one of the instructors and tells me of some real derelicts and numbskulls that they let through, so if you put in a good effort and do well, it is easy peasy.

Not Dwayne, I hope?

MrBates

I have done a search and found mixed results with a lot of random posts that don't answer the question asked. I'm looking for some legit answers.

Met with an HR rep who briefly went over the expectations of a new cover driver position. She explained that I'd have to pass a road test & computer coursework before being sent to driver school for a week. After school I will have to be on preload for 30 days before I can start as a cover driver.

I currently drive and have my DOT card, no issues on my driver history. She explained that I would need to be clean shaven and cut my hair. I explained that I understand that I will not be driving right away and will comply with the appearance guidelines if hired.

She however did not provide me with much information on what the road test will involve beyond "making sure I can drive the package car".

1. What can I expect at this intial road test? I can drive manual and currently drive a large box truck so I'm not worried about length.

2. Other than the obvious of crashing, not wearing a seatbelt, or similar blatant safety issues is there anything that I should really watch for on the road test?

3. I plan on going clean shaven for the road test but don't want to cut my hair unless I'm getting the job. I've read mixed things about men with long hair (goes to my shoulder blades) so can I hide it under a hat for the test? If I get the job can I hide it under a hat every day I work?

4. Will wearing my black work boots, jeans, solid color polo, sweater, and hat be alright for the road test?

5. If I make it through driving school and start on preload I understand it is not guaranteed work, that I will most likely need a PT job. I've been told by one person this is a good time of year to get in b/c I will get my 30 days in and then be put on as a cover driver for those with seniority taking vacation during the summer. This then sets me up to be ready for more driving hours come peak season. I understand there is no guarantee but is this an accurate trend?

Thank you.

You're over thinking this. Just drive it like you mean it and drive safely. If you really want the job get a haircut and come clean shaven. It will grow back if you decide UPS is not for you.

Get ready to be jerked around. Have a second part time job ready until UPS starts giving you more hours. Dont get discouraged if you show up and they send you home. They tend to do that alot in the beginning. Once you start your 30 days, you better be a superstar. Sort the truck during lunch, keep the wheels moving, NO late airs or missed, dont crash, and run like the wind.

As far as the road test goes if you do a search there is a document in BC that lists all the points for every infraction during the test.

Once you qualify, find a nice steady pace that's comfortable for you and NEVER touch a box again while off the clock.

Last edited:

SolidWoodPanel

Probably the Greatest American Alive
I have done a search and found mixed results with a lot of random posts that don't answer the question asked. I'm looking for some legit answers.

Met with an HR rep who briefly went over the expectations of a new cover driver position. She explained that I'd have to pass a road test & computer coursework before being sent to driver school for a week. After school I will have to be on preload for 30 days before I can start as a cover driver.

I currently drive and have my DOT card, no issues on my driver history. She explained that I would need to be clean shaven and cut my hair. I explained that I understand that I will not be driving right away and will comply with the appearance guidelines if hired.

She however did not provide me with much information on what the road test will involve beyond "making sure I can drive the package car".

1. What can I expect at this intial road test? I can drive manual and currently drive a large box truck so I'm not worried about length.

2. Other than the obvious of crashing, not wearing a seatbelt, or similar blatant safety issues is there anything that I should really watch for on the road test?

3. I plan on going clean shaven for the road test but don't want to cut my hair unless I'm getting the job. I've read mixed things about men with long hair (goes to my shoulder blades) so can I hide it under a hat for the test? If I get the job can I hide it under a hat every day I work?

4. Will wearing my black work boots, jeans, solid color polo, sweater, and hat be alright for the road test?

5. If I make it through driving school and start on preload I understand it is not guaranteed work, that I will most likely need a PT job. I've been told by one person this is a good time of year to get in b/c I will get my 30 days in and then be put on as a cover driver for those with seniority taking vacation during the summer. This then sets me up to be ready for more driving hours come peak season. I understand there is no guarantee but is this an accurate trend?

Thank you.

You have to cut, there's no hiding it. [However, in today's political clime, you could probably get away with identifying yourself as a member of the female gender. Just call yourself Patricia Winston. I'd be surprised if they didn't issue you a uniform for the test. It's simple and you should be done in 10-15 minutes. Our HR rep gives you a simple test, you don't need to pass it, but it's more or less a cheat sheet for when you attend integrad. For us, it's usually a senior driver who wants an easy day at work. They won't bother you unless you're completely effing up. I think one of our on road supervisors would be a Richard.
I'm just making assumptions, but, you have no desire to work preload? In our building, cover driving still carries seniority so, I'd say it's unlikely you would drive unless your hub is desperate. You probably would drive 4-6 hours during peak, maybe longer, but doubt you'd get overtime.

SolidWoodPanel

Probably the Greatest American Alive
HR lady said that if you can make a combo of preloading and cover driving work for 6 months you'll be ok.

Heard from somebody there that they need drivers so they want to get people started now so they're not behind on staffing come peak season. Also said that it usually takes about 2 years to get a FT bid but they'd keep me on as a cover driver as long as I'm doing the job.

Figured I'd ask on here just to see what the overall trend is for UPS. Seems a little odd they'd pay for me to go to driving school and not have me drive. I was told I'd get travel, boarding, and food paid for along with $16.10/hr at driving school. That's a lot of investment for a preloader.
We got a guy who graduated last June, drove half days during peak, then became saturday air driver. His first time out in early January, he got lost, and was about five hours late getting back. He's not driving again any time soon. Don't get lost.

MrWinston

they want you to do your 30 days inside they can "promote" from within. If you were hired of the street as a driver then they would have to make you full time immediately. The rarely do that. Most every driver has worked inside at some capacity. Once you are trained, your first year could be off and on as far as regular driving. But if you are not driving then you can always work in the hub. But from what I understand, they are so in need of drivers, most everyone works most every day, but don't quote me on that.

I know nothing of Integrad and how that works. We were not trained that way 22 years ago wen I started driving. I can tell you that if you are trained in house, it is far easier than if you are shipped to Maryland (or wherever they are doing it now) for Integrad. A friend of mine who is a retired center manager is sometimes one of the instructors and tells me of some real derelicts and numbskulls that they let through, so if you put in a good effort and do well, it is easy peasy.

As far as your hair, as @UpstateNYUPSer said, it will grow back You don't need a military cut but it can not touch your collar. Not saying it needs to be high and tight but cleaned up to say the least. As far as what you should do for your interview, that is totally up to you but I know I was raised that you dress/appear for the job you want, not the job you have.
That lines up pretty well with what I was told. Union job so first 30 days are preload then start cover driving with option to work inside if no driving available.

MrWinston

You're over thinking this. Just drive it like you mean it and drive safely. If you really want the job get a haircut and come clean shaven. It will grow back if you decide UPS is not for you.

Get ready to be jerked around. Have a second part time job ready until UPS starts giving you more hours. Dont get discouraged if you show up and they send you home. They tend to do that alot in the beginning. Once you start your 30 days, you better be a superstar. Sort the truck during lunch, keep the wheels moving, NO late airs or missed, dont crash, and run like the wind.

As far as the road test goes if you do a search there is a document in BC that lists all the points for every infraction during the test.

Once you qualify, find a nice steady pace that's comfortable for you and NEVER touch a box again while off the clock.
HR lady recommend a flexible PT job so once again lining up pretty well with what I was told. It's a 45 min commute for me so driving there just to be sent home is a concern of mine but I understand nobody can guarantee anything. I want to put the effort in, show them I mean business, so that when there are driving shifts available & I'm on par seniority wise with someone else I will stand out.

MrWinston

As far as the hair goes, I've been growing it for 5 years. I know hair grows back and all. My current coworkers are nosey.
You have to cut, there's no hiding it. [However, in today's political clime, you could probably get away with identifying yourself as a member of the female gender. Just call yourself Patricia Winston. I'd be surprised if they didn't issue you a uniform for the test. It's simple and you should be done in 10-15 minutes. Our HR rep gives you a simple test, you don't need to pass it, but it's more or less a cheat sheet for when you attend integrad. For us, it's usually a senior driver who wants an easy day at work. They won't bother you unless you're completely effing up. I think one of our on road supervisors would be a Richard.
I'm just making assumptions, but, you have no desire to work preload? In our building, cover driving still carries seniority so, I'd say it's unlikely you would drive unless your hub is desperate. You probably would drive 4-6 hours during peak, maybe longer, but doubt you'd get overtime.
No, no desire to work preload but I understand I have to get my foot in the door. I applied for a PC driver position and was told that preload is to get the first 30 days done and join the union. I haven't been hired yet, this is a road test before they think about offering me a job, so I doubt I'll get a uniform.

MrWinston

Took a day off work last week to go for the road test .Starts snowing but I head up anyway since I figure UPS runs unless it's the apocalypse. Takes me over an hour because of slow traffic just to walk into HR and be told the test is cancelled.

Eventually work it out to start on the computer precourse material ahead of time and achedscha test for Thursday this week. Switch shifts at work just to be able to do this. Stay up late Wednesday night working on the precourse material and get a few hours sleep.

Took the test hopped up on coffee and Red Bull. I call BS on a few rhithi he docked me for but I passed so I kept it to myself. Head back to HR and now it's full steam ahead, they're sending me to Integrad April 9th.

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.
Took a day off work last week to go for the road test .Starts snowing but I head up anyway since I figure UPS runs unless it's the apocalypse. Takes me over an hour because of slow traffic just to walk into HR and be told the test is cancelled.

Eventually work it out to start on the computer precourse material ahead of time and achedscha test for Thursday this week. Switch shifts at work just to be able to do this. Stay up late Wednesday night working on the precourse material and get a few hours sleep.

Took the test hopped up on coffee and Red Bull. I call BS on a few rhithi he docked me for but I passed so I kept it to myself. Head back to HR and now it's full steam ahead, they're sending me to Integrad April 9th.
C31DC008-FE1C-4C73-97BD-AE2FC89338A9.gif

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS

Don’t forget your iron and ironing board

MrWinston

Went to New Stanton, PA for a class in the hub. Sitting at the computers going through the same kind of stuff as the precourse was mind numbing. The little bit of hands on activities we did were better but we never had enough time. Instructor said Intergrad is more interactive and I kind of wish I went there instead.

They didn't send anybody home over appearance stabdarst but several guys just didn't get it. Day four and they barely squeaked by. Written test of the 5's & 10's everyday...they purposely had to find stuff wrong with mine so that they could show improvement throughout the week. I didn't have to receive them orally even though I was ready; don't know if the other guys had to or not.

Drive drill turned into a pain because I practiced with one instructor then tested with a different one who wanted it called out slightly differently, just enough to screw me up. Didn't help that the night before dinner didn't sit well with me and I had my worst night of sleep all week. They passed everyone on the drive drill, just let them keep going in circles until they did it.

Been on preload for four days now. I see why they lose so many people during this time. Doing the boxline sort and was watched for PPH for the first time today. I was at 500 and the goal is 600. I just keep reminding myself I'll do what I have to so I can get to where I want to be. Gets tiring when everyone is asking me why I came to UPS and how I like it so far. The only good thing so far is getting used to looking at the labels and reading them faster.

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
Went to New Stanton, PA for a class in the hub. Sitting at the computers going through the same kind of stuff as the precourse was mind numbing. The little bit of hands on activities we did were better but we never had enough time. Instructor said Intergrad is more interactive and I kind of wish I went there instead.

They didn't send anybody home over appearance stabdarst but several guys just didn't get it. Day four and they barely squeaked by. Written test of the 5's & 10's everyday...they purposely had to find stuff wrong with mine so that they could show improvement throughout the week. I didn't have to receive them orally even though I was ready; don't know if the other guys had to or not.

Drive drill turned into a pain because I practiced with one instructor then tested with a different one who wanted it called out slightly differently, just enough to screw me up. Didn't help that the night before dinner didn't sit well with me and I had my worst night of sleep all week. They passed everyone on the drive drill, just let them keep going in circles until they did it.

Been on preload for four days now. I see why they lose so many people during this time. Doing the boxline sort and was watched for PPH for the first time today. I was at 500 and the goal is 600. I just keep reminding myself I'll do what I have to so I can get to where I want to be. Gets tiring when everyone is asking me why I came to UPS and how I like it so far. The only good thing so far is getting used to looking at the labels and reading them faster.
Boxline sorting is fun. So much easier than loading and delivering out of a package car hahahaHAAhaha.
Obviously PPH is something you need to show performance on but just remember they always want you to be better, faster, stronger. So pace yourself.

Future

Victory Ride
I corral jackasses ...put them in shoot ...deee horn them ... watch their head bleed then send them down another shoot

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns

Thank you.
You don't see @burrheadd or @MyTripisCut worrying about their hair, do you? Heck no!

Get a haircut princess!

Last edited: