Road test limit question

nystripe96

Ok so my road test is in February. Is there a limit to how many times I can take it until I pass? Is there an alloted time period I have to pass it in until I'm put back on the bottom? I want to go driving but can't really start until the summer for personal reasons.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
When I started really wasn't a good time for me but I took the plunge. I had a good friend that was ahead of me who decided to finish school (right choice). However the recession hit and he's still in progression. I have been full scale almost 4 years.

nystripe96

Well luckily my center always needs drivers cuz I'm located in NYC, so I'm not overly worried about waiting till the summer even though I'm eligible now

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Even so we have a new contact coming up. Who knows get hired after August 1st and u could be waiting an extra 2 years for full scale. Just something to think about.

UPSGUY72

Ok so my road test is in February. Is there a limit to how many times I can take it until I pass? Is there an alloted time period I have to pass it in until I'm put back on the bottom? I want to go driving but can't really start until the summer for personal reasons.

If you fail your most likely going to be waiting another year.

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
Check with your FT supervisor or manager (or maybe HR) to see if there's any way you can get some practice driving the [-]truck[/-] package car in the yard. Maybe during the day (if there's no day sort @ your hub) or on Saturday; when there's little or no feeder traffic in the yard.

oldngray

nowhere special
Practice driving would make a huge difference. When I went driving almost all preloaders did some car shift and had practice driving package cars, and never failed road tests and almost all qualified when they went driving. Not needing to worry about learning to drive a package car let them concentrate on the other pats of learning the job.

UPSGUY72

If you fail the road test, you can take it again in 6 months.

If they let you and they have a drivers position open for you in six months.
I would also believe
they would need to go through the list of people that signed up to be drivers first.

If you pass the road test, but are disqualified for any reason, you can try again in a year.

That would again depend on if they have openings and you have the seniority at that time since there will be a new drivers list of people wanting to go FT and people that said no before with more seniority could say yes.

If he never driven a standard he need to start to practice and get proficient in any vehicle not just a UPS package car.

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
From what I understand, if they're ready to train a driver and you can't until summer, then you SOL. They will pass you up to the next person below you. Take the time to learn to drive a stick. Take the driving test and see what you need work on. If you fail the driving test you can take it again in 6 months. If you start driving and you get washed then you can try again in a year. At least that's how it works in the Northwest.