Rookie cover driver was 5 hours Overallowed

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
A rookie Cover Driver was sent out Monday on a route blind,and to use a phrase my first center manager used " He was sucking pondwater" He had 50 off at 1700,and 100 left. 2 drivers were sent to help him,and they all worked to about 2200,and he wound up 5 hours Overallowed.
In the old days he would have been DQ'd, but we are so short of drivers and cover drivers nothing was done. Course when my supervisor now says anything about me being OA, i am quick to tell him it could have been worse, I could have been 5 hours OA :peaceful:

UPSGUY72

A rookie Cover Driver was sent out Monday on a route blind,and to use a phrase my first center manager used " He was sucking pondwater" He had 50 off at 1700,and 100 left. 2 drivers were sent to help him,and they all worked to about 2200,and he wound up 5 hours Overallowed.
In the old days he would have been DQ'd, but we are so short of drivers and cover drivers nothing was done. Course when my supervisor now says anything about me being OA, i am quick to tell him it could have been worse, I could have been 5 hours OA :peaceful:

They sent me out on a route on the blind in a snow storm in the hood... I did 40 stops that day I haven't been on the route again.

clarnzz

Solid, best I've ever done was 3 over. There is a route in our center that covers downtown office buildings. I swear you get no allowance the moment you step into a building on it no matter how many floors it has. I've had some bad days on it when its bulky with paper, etc.... and you do tons of two wheeling. It's always a battle if I end up this route for a week as you tend to go over 9.5 and are an hour or so overallowed. Anyways, an on-car and a newish driver went out on it once and ran it 2 hours over with 2 of them! I had so much fun with that. :)

Leftinbuilding

Was once sent out blind on a mountain route where I literally had never heard of some of the small towns. Didn't even bother to check how late I ran. Suffice to say it never happened again.

Indecisi0n

When I trained on their training route it had 130 stops with a lot of business. Now it has about 160-165 and areas that shouldnt even be included and they wonder why new guys can't scratch.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I love the story one of the older guys tells before 911 addresses went in and it was just rural route 2 box 45 and their next door neighbor may be box 400 and the the next 125 anyways. This driver was sent out on a rural route blind he called at lunch and said I have 5 off 50 left is anyone coming to help or are u willing to miss pieces today.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I had 58 off at 1500. My sup tells me to call the building. On my phone I called. he said, "really, 58 off at 1500, I tried to be good to you guys its hot and all. And you screw me" I said dearest, you need to look at left bldg time, air, pieces, cods, miles. and dont ever tell me to call so you can yell at me, do you think I dont know its %%66$$$4 3 oclock . It was miseable it was 100 degrees, and I did the best I could. I could have probably done better if you had left me alone with the crap you sent me out with. Im so glad my days are numbered my choice or theirs.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I had 58 off at 1500. My sup tells me to call the building. On my phone I called. he said, "really, 58 off at 1500, I tried to be good to you guys its hot and all. And you screw me" I said dearest, you need to look at left bldg time, air, pieces, cods, miles. and dont ever tell me to call so you can yell at me, do you think I dont know its %%66$$$4 3 oclock . It was miseable it was 100 degrees, and I did the best I could. I could have probably done better if you had left me alone with the crap you sent me out with. Im so glad my days are numbered my choice or theirs.

My reply is always yeah I'm behind and talking to you means I'm getting nothing done and farther behind so goodbye.

HomeDelivery

was this with pas/edd? was the trace that bad? rural or suburban route?

i had a rural route with only 10% in small city/suburbs areas; started 845 done 1820. sucks to have some stops that are 15 minutes apart...

HomeDelivery

yep,

we have something called ROADS that puts my service area in stop-order & i can usually go out "blind" if they knock down ~20% off from the regular drivers' load...

kingOFchester

When I first started driving and going out blind = Horrible day. Stress, no lunch, running, worrying about everything, trying to figure out what is a business and whats not, spending time in the AM talking to other drivers to figure out how to run the route (off the clock), calling drivers all day asking questions.......

Now that I am more "seasoned" if I were to be sent out blind it would = Great day. No stress, full lunch and break, walking at a brisk pace, worrying about nothing, spend my AM time talking :censored2: with other drivers laughing at the stupidity of the powers that be, no calling and bothering other drivers...........

Amazing what a few years at Brown will do to you.

Last edited: