Rookie Seasonal Needs Advice

miller05

Ok I'm not sure where to start, but I need some advice pretty bad.

I got hired off the street mid-June 07 as a seasonal package car driver. My background is driving local/regional/OTR Class A.

My understanding was that yes, I'm seasonal and probably laid off the first part of Sept, but depending on numbers and timing, there could be a shot at permanent.

Since June, tho, all I've done is either be someone's legs, Diad puncher or "clean up" as my sups call it. I don't mind this stuff - I'll do whatever - but I'm not getting trained on any certain routes, so I'm worried my chances of permanent are slim to none. I either run odd crap or go take or pick pkgs up from other drivers - I mean just oddball stuff.

There's lots more I could include, but I'll leave it at that for now. Any info/advice/whatever appreciated.

Hate to be the bearer of bad news but seasonal means just that. Especially considering whatever local riders ratio is applied to your situation 6-1 is ours which means for every 1 outside ther needs to be 6 inside permanent hires.

miller05

Thanks for the responses.

Please don't throw a 70 pounder at me... but I am female.

Honestly is that a good thing.

And yes, we are 6-1, too.

705red

Browncafe Steward
Do the job the right way now, and hope you get a call in oct. to go seasonal again where you can show them what your made of. We have a lot of good drivers but during peak the men are seperated from the boys, this is were you can attempt to show them that this job might be for you. Thats the only way you being an off the street hire has any chance of being kept. the company will use their one spot for you if you can perform the job before using it on a p-time sup for the same position.

In the past year and a half my building took 3 off the street hires, 3 transfers, and 2 inside employees last because nobody wanted to go driving.

samiam

I wish, there for I am?
The work you are doing has nothing to do with you being seasonal. It has to do with you being low man(woman) in the center. We have senority utility drivers in our center running that knid of crap, ( bailing out a driver, p/u missroutes, del. bulk stops )

If you were a p/ter' before you went driving, you would still have to worry about getting send back to your old area when you are not needed. Happens all the time in our center. You just happen to not have a p/t job to go back to since you are a street hire. My advice, do your best but have a back up plan incase you get let go. Don't count on UPS as a steady job until you are 150% sure you are a full timer for good.