Route Bidding Issues

AKCoverMan

Meh. The union is full of young drivers that have never met their Business Agent, don't know their stewards, never interacted with the union at all... Except for the sign up sheet, and monthly deduction from their paycheck.
Needs to be effort to educate the new brothers and sisters early on. We work hard on that here but I’m sure it’s easier in my tiny center as opposed to hubs with multiple centers and 300 routes in one buildin. Can’t even imagine.

P5forLife

Needs to be effort to educate the new brothers and sisters early on. We work hard on that here but I’m sure it’s easier in my tiny center as opposed to hubs with multiple centers and 300 routes in one buildin. Can’t even imagine.
See, that's the issue of our center... We have 42 drivers, our Steward is brand new and has no idea what he's doing, and most of us don't know the food chain for the Union reps. This center is pretty oblivious, especially after our top drivers retired. However, I do my best in educating myself about everything and doubble/triple checking things as the years go by. I don't like being caught with my browns down, but that's how we'll have to learn sometimes.

We only run about 35- 38 routes a day because that's all our yard can fit. So a few of us get offered the day off... It's nice.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Do they keep these routes in for 30 days consecutively with the exact same route name and area? Example route 38c is in 30 days in a row covering the same area everyday
This is such terrible language. 3 days on average over a 90 day period should suffice for a bid route.

The company should send the union a printout once a month of the number of routes ran in each center each day. You have 44 routes run 3+ days per week and 41 bid routes. You bid 3 routes.

542thruNthru

This is such terrible language. 3 days on average over a 90 day period should suffice for a bid route.
That's even terrible language. Ours is 3 days a week for 30 days.
The company should send the union a printout once a month of the number of routes ran in each center each day. You have 44 routes run 3+ days per week and 41 bid routes. You bid 3 routes.
That's a thought. Though a steward should be able to keep track of what routes need to be bid. I know my steward at the end of every January would get the dispatch sheets and tally up the number of days a route was in and then file the grievance if they refused to bid it.

Tanktoptony

Had the same issue in our center up here Oregon, must be handled by business agent but you need to file a grievance to get the ball rolling or union will just say their hands are tied until you make it a legitimate issue by filing.

AKCoverMan

See, that's the issue of our center... We have 42 drivers, our Steward is brand new and has no idea what he's doing, and most of us don't know the food chain for the Union reps. This center is pretty oblivious, especially after our top drivers retired. However, I do my best in educating myself about everything and doubble/triple checking things as the years go by. I don't like being caught with my browns down, but that's how we'll have to learn sometimes.

We only run about 35- 38 routes a day because that's all our yard can fit. So a few of us get offered the day off... It's nice.
I get it. One driver steward for 35-38 routes so sounds like about 45ish drivers? New Steward needs some help and it takes some time to figure it out and be effective especially with no senior Steward to mentor him. Remember every stewsrd still has the regular driver work week to get thru on top of trying to be a steward.

Having said that.. if no senior drivers willing to step up and take the role, maybe you should get to know your BA and current Steward more and become more involved. Nothing says has to be just one Steward and many hands make light work… or at least lighter work lol.

The fact that you show an interest here shows you may be able to help. We ARE the Union, for better or worse.