route biddng? (on topic please)

Nolimitz

Is there a generally accepted time frame to post open routes for bidding? We have several open and rumor has it they (mgt) are going to wait 4-5 months due to staffing issues to post any open bids?

dezguy

Aren't routes posted once management submits a route request to engineering and it's approved? Then, it's usually posted the next Tuesday.

Or are you referring to people leaving and management using pt and swings to do the rte without making a submission to engineering to fill that rte permanently?

dezguy

this would be the issue. folks retired or terminated
Yeah, I have no idea whether or not there is a certain time frame those routes have to be submitted to engineering.

I would assume there is a certain time but with FedEx, who knows.

vantexan

Is there a generally accepted time frame to post open routes for bidding? We have several open and rumor has it they (mgt) are going to wait 4-5 months due to staffing issues to post any open bids?
The problem is if you run your route well then management will want to keep you there for the sake of their numbers. Especially if it's a heavy route. If there's a route you want that you believe you have a good chance of getting then consider talking to HR about it. If they fill the route with a new hire or transfer without posting it internally first then it's your right to GFT it if necessary.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
The problem is if you run your route well then management will want to keep you there for the sake of their numbers. Especially if it's a heavy route. If there's a route you want that you believe you have a good chance of getting then consider talking to HR about it. If they fill the route with a new hire or transfer without posting it internally first then it's your right to GFT it if necessary.
At our station, at least at one point, any vacated full-time position or the attendant route had to have the approval of the MD to fill. And routes were filled by a 'bid two, place one' method.

Nolimitz

Ok I'm a wheel crr. 4/10's with 3 routes instead of the usual 4. I shared a rte w/a guy that retired. He was 3 days and 1 day RTD. I did the other two. Have been on this rte FT since before peak. His 3/1 day rte needs to be restructured due to RTD coverage. I'm trying to get the other two days on this rte.
If they wait 4-5 months to fix this rte. there are a # of swings coming off contract that could bump me out, or do I have some preference since I am already bid for 40% of FT route?

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
Ok I'm a wheel crr. 4/10's with 3 routes instead of the usual 4. I shared a rte w/a guy that retired. He was 3 days and 1 day RTD. I did the other two. Have been on this rte FT since before peak. His 3/1 day rte needs to be restructured due to RTD coverage. I'm trying to get the other two days on this rte.
If they wait 4-5 months to fix this rte. there are a # of swings coming off contract that could bump me out, or do I have some preference since I am already bid for 40% of FT route?
Manager discretion, and station needs.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!

They can fill them as soon as they get approval or they can take their sweet time.

Preventable

Its kind of :censored2:ty for you, but it sounds like the most reasonable course of action would be to bump your share of that route to once a week and make it a normal wheel. Sounds like it could be a GFTable thing from other drivers if they just handed you that route. Now if they are delaying the bidding just to get a swing they are friendly with off contract so they can swoop in that is a different/shadier story.

SmithBarney

...here are a # of swings coming off contract that could bump me out...
You are considered a regular CRR even as a wheel/4x10 coverage.

When bidding for a regular CRR route(4x10 coverage is considered regular), you outrank any swing driver.

I think the system sucks, I understand having to weight different job classifications, but there needs a fix. We had a 1yr CRR outbid a 20+yr swing, for a RTE.

That being said they(FDX) will do whatever they want, we had 3 rtes filled by off the street hires, with no BID taking place for them, people protested, but nothing happened, these spring chickens stepped into a couple of the most desirable routes in the station

Preventable

You are considered a regular CRR even as a wheel/4x10 coverage.

When bidding for a regular CRR route(4x10 coverage is considered regular), you outrank any swing driver.

I think the system sucks, I understand having to weight different job classifications, but there needs a fix. We had a 1yr CRR outbid a 20+yr swing, for a RTE.

That being said they(FDX) will do whatever they want, we had 3 rtes filled by off the street hires, with no BID taking place for them, people protested, but nothing happened, these spring chickens stepped into a couple of the most desirable routes in the station

Sounds like this is true, because at my station swings got equal bidding rights to normal couriers.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Sounds like this is true, because at my station swings got equal bidding rights to normal couriers.
Not at my station. Everything is bid by job classification. I noticed two routes up for bid yesterday that they even said applicants must be DOT already. So that means that those of us they stripped of DOT certification can’t even bid. Good thing I’m not wanting one of those routes or I would fight that tooth and nail. Lol.

Oldfart

Not at my station. Everything is bid by job classification. I noticed two routes up for bid yesterday that they even said applicants must be DOT already. So that means that those of us they stripped of DOT certification can’t even bid. Good thing I’m not wanting one of those routes or I would fight that tooth and nail. Lol.
What grounds? DOT routes require a driver to be DOT certified. They can give it to a non DOT person provided they can get certified. That just slows down the process if a person cant get DOT. Many people in our station were thrilled to go non DOT until they realized they got passed over for DOT rts. They wanted whatever benefited them at the time.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
What grounds? DOT routes require a driver to be DOT certified. They can give it to a non DOT person provided they can get certified. That just slows down the process if a person cant get DOT. Many people in our station were thrilled to go non DOT until they realized they got passed over for DOT rts. They wanted whatever benefited them at the time.
That’s not what happened at my station we were TOLD we would no longer be DOT. We weren’t given an option. And you missed the part where I said you ALREADY have to be DOT to bid on the routes. In other words, non-DOT can not bid.

Oldfart

That’s not what happened at my station we were TOLD we would no longer be DOT. We weren’t given an option. And you missed the part where I said you ALREADY have to be DOT to bid on the routes. In other words, non-DOT can not bid.
I saw what you said. Guess you missed where I said they CAN give rts to non DOT and you must get DOT within 30 days. I see it on posting at our station. The problem is when they give a person a route and wait on their DOT and then they don't pass, it really slows down the process. Our people going non DOT didn't have a choice either. Swings must be DOT and there is usually 1 DOT in each loop for the oddball HAZ.

BootsOnTarmac

If you want the route put your bid in. DOT or not. GFT it if you don't get it based upon seniority. Let Memphis know. Most likely the shenanigans will stop. Quote from the People Manual.