route rebid question

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Good Lord, stuck on the same route for your whole career! A lot of suicides in those buildings? :-)
I can see where a junior driver who's scared of getting bumped would see bidding for life as a kind of safe space, but at 20 years that safe space might look more like a prison.

Cementups

Box Monkey
He won the bid , so you figure if someone wanted it more they would've took it then

Not necessarily. I bid a route years ago that only went out with 90-100 stops. Shortly after I was doing about 130. Over the next 7 years I had it I was up to 160+. All of a sudden another driver decided he wanted a change of pace and started a domino effect. He bumped one guy and that guy already had his eyes on my route. So 7 years prior and a lot lighter, no one wanted it. Now with more work and a tighter area (and I had the DOL set up stop for stop essentially), my route became desirable.

Our package drivers bid every two years in HARPA. The last bid was this past spring. I knew it was coming again and I was going to lose my route (for more complex reasons). Screw that noise. Off to feeders I went. Sick of that crap.

Over disciplined0123

I just got the route I've wanted for 2+ years. I was unassigned before that. When we rebid routes next year, do I have the option of keeping it or could someone with more seniority take it from me?
Really that’s a silly question routes are bid on seniority Seems like that’s basically all that the union is doing for us at this time

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I've been on my residential route 22 years or so. I got rid of my pickups and pretty much just run trace now. ORION still thinks of ways to screw that up.

MC0493

Still a cover driver, but i'm glad my center is bid for life. As a low seniority guy i'd hate that someone could come along one year and knock me off what i want to do. I already sometimes but heads with getting bumped just covering stuff.

Rack em

Made the Podium
I'd rather just stay a swing driver with more seniority so I could pick what route I want to do that day. If there is a nice rural route open I could take that. But if the rural routes that are open are all heavy with bad days I can just take some in town route.

MC0493

That's kind of the direction i'm heading unless something i really want opens up. I generally float between decent routes i like with the occasional crappy one in the mix. I'm the only cover driver that knows a route that runs 2 trucks right by the building. A p1000 and a footer, what a fantastic route...