Rtd shortage

fedx

Extra Large Package
Nobody passes test,crashes,low seniority leaves.
Low seniority folks leave because they are paid lower than industry average. The old, old timers were topped out between 3 months and 3 yrs from being hired. They want people to stay, they need to raise their starting pay. Even their 10 step plan is unappealing. I don't know of a lot of jobs where it takes 10 years to max out your pay. I'm sure there's some, but with the supposed truck driver shortage, that should not be one of them. Don't know what to say about the other issues you said. Those are individual issues.

SmithBarney

...Even their 10 step plan is unappealing. I don't know of a lot of jobs where it takes 10 years to max out...
It only takes 10yrs if you started at FedEx if you started this fall 2016... Current 10yr employees still have 8-9 more steps to top out.(18-19years total)

fedx

Extra Large Package
It only takes 10yrs if you started at FedEx if you started this fall 2016... Current 10yr employees still have 8-9 more steps to top out.(18-19years total)
Yeah, who wants to work at a job 20 years to top out? That's an insult to anyone working in any industry. Someone that's been with FedEx for 9 years should top out next year at 10 years, but instead they are at step 2 and will still be 20 years before they top out. So if you're 13 years at FedEx and find out it will still be 7 years before you top out, you're likely to start looking for other jobs. I don't blame them one bit.

Oldfart

Yeah, who wants to work at a job 20 years to top out? That's an insult to anyone working in any industry. Someone that's been with FedEx for 9 years should top out next year at 10 years, but instead they are at step 2 and will still be 20 years before they top out. So if you're 13 years at FedEx and find out it will still be 7 years before you top out, you're likely to start looking for other jobs. I don't blame them one bit.
I have friends who work in the trucking industry that are non union and topped out at bout $20 an hour and don't get OT no matter how many hours they work. Straight time all day. That would really suck

zeev

Thanks for explaining how it works, Now I understand why low seniority doesn't want to talk about it.

BootsOnTarmac

With a ten step plan, FedEx should have automatically topped out those employees over ten years. This shows that the step plan probably wont be a STEP per year as some may assume. We will see in the coming years. I believe if you have been with FedEx (Express) for the last ten years you SHOULD be topped out by now, given the commitment you have made to the company. You have stuck around for the long run i.e. Career.

dezguy

With a ten step plan, FedEx should have automatically topped out those employees over ten years. This shows that the step plan probably wont be a STEP per year as some may assume. We will see in the coming years. I believe if you have been with FedEx (Express) for the last ten years you SHOULD be topped out by now, given the commitment you have made to the company. You have stuck around for the long run i.e. Career.
Agree with everything you said except couriers being topped out in 10 years.

It should take no longer than 4 years to top out. Even that is too long, in my mind.

overflowed

When I read that paper it said nothing of a ten year plan, it said a ten step plan. It didn't explain anything beyond that. They put it out there to try to stop people from leaving. We have kept leaving. It may make new hires stop and think, but I never for a second believed anything about it.

fedx

Extra Large Package
I have friends who work in the trucking industry that are non union and topped out at bout $20 an hour and don't get OT no matter how many hours they work. Straight time all day. That would really suck
That would suck and I would tell them to call their Dept of Labor about it. If I remember correctly, companies in right to work states can do just about anything to you except not pay you OT after 40 hrs of work. They can prevent you from having a lunch, they can make you work 20 hrs for a shift (non driving), they can do just about anything legally except not pay you OT after 40 hrs. I would tell them to call to check on the legality of what's happening to them.

Oldfart

That would suck and I would tell them to call their Dept of Labor about it. If I remember correctly, companies in right to work states can do just about anything to you except not pay you OT after 40 hrs of work. They can prevent you from having a lunch, they can make you work 20 hrs for a shift (non driving), they can do just about anything legally except not pay you OT after 40 hrs. I would tell them to call to check on the legality of what's happening to them.
It is not isolated to 1 company, so it must be a practice that is legal by some technicality.

It will be fine

If they drive a truck over 10,000 lbs they are overtime exempt employees. It's the motor carrier exception. Their work hours are controlled by the DOT so they aren't covered by the FSLA overtime laws.

dezguy

10 years! And I thought 3 (at UPS) was ridiculous.
That's not even a guaranteed 10 years. It's a ten step plan, giving FedEx the opportunity to not offer a step some years, even multiple years!

It's simply a carrot to keep people from leaving. They'll keep the steps in place only as long as they need to, to keep people from leaving.

Indecisi0n

That's not even a guaranteed 10 years. It's a ten step plan, giving FedEx the opportunity to not offer a step some years, even multiple years!

It's simply a carrot to keep people from leaving. They'll keep the steps in place only as long as they need to, to keep people from leaving.
Is this ground? Time to unionize.