RTW- Leaving the Union.

Fuzzy Brown

First off, I'm not posting this to debate the value of our union. If you love the union, I respect that.

I live in a RTW state, and I'm going to remove myself from the union for a couple of personal reasons. Our state law says that you can leave the union at any point after the contract that was in place when the state became a RTW state expires, including when that contract went under an extension. It also says that any attempt by the union to prevent a person from leaving is a felony and is punishable by a fine of up to $1,000.

In my situation, I have asked stewards about leaving over the last year. The canned answer is that I can't. They said there was a window of one week prior to our most recent contract in which we were allowed to leave. The union never mentioned this at any point to its members, and I know it's not legally true. Essentially, they are lying to keep keep me as a dues paying member, which as I said, is a potential felony. Now they are just blowing me off and refusing to answer my questions about what I need to formally do.

I have decided to send a certified letter stating my desire to leave. I fully expect the union to blow this off or create some other lie to wiggle out of it. This is why I already have a RTW attorney helping me.

My question is for anyone that has gone through this process, and what you experienced. Any advice you could provide would be greatly appreciated. My goal is to do this quickly and efficiently and not be drown into a childish situation that requires legal action and wasted time.
You know all the good things about UPS, the insurance, pay, etc, it was all negotiated by the Teamsters if it were up to the company you wouldn’t have any of the benefits you enjoy.
If you can live with being a gutless freeloader more power to you.

wide load

Starting wage is a waste of time.
First off, I'm not posting this to debate the value of our union. If you love the union, I respect that.

I live in a RTW state, and I'm going to remove myself from the union for a couple of personal reasons. Our state law says that you can leave the union at any point after the contract that was in place when the state became a RTW state expires, including when that contract went under an extension. It also says that any attempt by the union to prevent a person from leaving is a felony and is punishable by a fine of up to $1,000.

In my situation, I have asked stewards about leaving over the last year. The canned answer is that I can't. They said there was a window of one week prior to our most recent contract in which we were allowed to leave. The union never mentioned this at any point to its members, and I know it's not legally true. Essentially, they are lying to keep keep me as a dues paying member, which as I said, is a potential felony. Now they are just blowing me off and refusing to answer my questions about what I need to formally do.

I have decided to send a certified letter stating my desire to leave. I fully expect the union to blow this off or create some other lie to wiggle out of it. This is why I already have a RTW attorney helping me.

My question is for anyone that has gone through this process, and what you experienced. Any advice you could provide would be greatly appreciated. My goal is to do this quickly and efficiently and not be drown into a childish situation that requires legal action and wasted time.
Just quit. You’ll be all set. Or are you looking to reap the rewards of collective bargaining without paying your fair share?

coolslice

Yes, I have never needed the union. I have never asked them for anything. I have watched them blow my dues for years in almost every way possible. They're so crooked that they constantly fight and sue themselves. If you think I wouldn't sleep well at night knowing I'm not throwing my money away to liberal supporting crooks, you're sorely mistaken. I'll sleep better.

If you've needed the union many times in your career, then I could see why you'd stay in because you're a crap employee that is either too stupid to follow the rules, or you're a driver that sucks so bad that you run 2 hours over every day and constantly need help. Perhaps you've been caught stealing something OR just can't handle the job without someone there to make excuses for your lazy :censored2:? IDK. You probably need them to hold your hand.

I think the problem is some of you have been brain washed to the point you've lost touch with reality. The union is UPS's biotch. All they care about is your dues. UPS does whatever it wants with the union, and the union comes out to tell you how they saved your life. Nobody that works at UPS gets overpaid. I earn every cent I make. I miss all the school programs, dinners, games, and so on. I get paid a lot because I work a lot, not because I stand against the wall and get paid a union wage.

tourists24

I get paid a lot because I work a lot, not because I stand against the wall and get paid a union wage.
And yet you ARE being paid a union negotiated wage and the best insurance around. The best solution I can suggest to get out is to head to Fedex. No nasty Teamster union to worry about there. Problem solved

Brown287

Im not the Mail Man!
Wow.....just wow. If you’ve felt this disappointed with our Union why haven’t you’ve gotten involved. Ironically our Union is much like most organizations, full of complainers but very few want to get involved.

I’m on the board of my sons little league. They have a survey at the end of the year with the last question being if you’d like to volunteer.....as you can aspect most are like you. Full of complaints but empty on ideas, answers or willingness to get involved.

I wish you luck but as most have said you reap the benefits of a union contract and if you don’t think you do, look at the pay and compensation package for salaried and how they’ve declined in past decade.

BadIdeaGuy

Staff member
If you've needed the union many times in your career, then I could see why you'd stay in because you're a crap employee that is either too stupid to follow the rules, or you're a driver that sucks so bad that you run 2 hours over every day and constantly need help. Perhaps you've been caught stealing something OR just can't handle the job without someone there to make excuses for your lazy :censored2:? IDK. You probably need them to hold your hand.

I smell troll.

No way someone is this :censored2: stupid.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
After God had finished the rattlesnake, the toad, and the vampire, he had some awful substance left with which he made a scab.
A scab is a two-legged animal with a corkscrew soul, a water brain, a combination backbone of jelly and glue.
Where others have hearts, he carries a tumor of rotten principles. When a scab comes down the street, men turn their backs and angels weep in heaven, and the devil shuts the gates of hell to keep him out.
No man (or woman) has a right to scab so long as there is a pool of water to drown his carcass in, or a rope long enough to hang his body with.
Judas was a gentleman compared with a scab. For betraying his master, he had character enough to hang himself. A scab has not.
Esau sold his birthright for a mess of pottage.
Judas sold his Savior for thirty pieces of silver.
Benedict Arnold sold his country for a promise of a commision in the british army.
The scab sells his birthright, country, his wife, his children and his fellowmen for an unfulfilled promise from his employer.
Esau was a traitor to himself; Judas was a traitor to his God; Benedict Arnold was a traitor to his country.
A scab is a traitor to his God, his country, his family and his class.

-Jack London

coolslice

Wow.....just wow. If you’ve felt this disappointed with our Union why haven’t you’ve gotten involved. Ironically our Union is much like most organizations, full of complainers but very few want to get involved.

I’m on the board of my sons little league. They have a survey at the end of the year with the last question being if you’d like to volunteer.....as you can aspect most are like you. Full of complaints but empty on ideas, answers or willingness to get involved.

I wish you luck but as most have said you reap the benefits of a union contract and if you don’t think you do, look at the pay and compensation package for salaried and how they’ve declined in past decade.

I've been told that before. Being a union person means a lot of things. It means blindly supporting democrats and trying to convince others that the Union is your God. That's not my cup of tea, to put it mildly.

Yes, I worked at FedEx years ago and wish I'd never have quit. I got paid less, but I worked a lot less and wouldn't be partially disabled from work like I am now.

I've given the union THOUSANDS of dollars. It not like I haven't paid my dues for years and years, but now I feel those dues are a waste and would be better served spent on my family instead of corrupt, lazy, fear mongers.

As far as our pay and compensation package, I think others have made much more progress than we have. You can go to a fast food restaurant and make more money than you can starting at UPS. Now everyone is a 22.4 hire, which means they DON'T have all the pay and benefits a RPCD has. Thanks, Teamsters. Pretty soon you'll be working 8 hours or less, and those 22.4 drivers will take all of that OT that pushes our salary to respectable levels.

OZ 2021

I've been told that before. Being a union person means a lot of things. It means blindly supporting democrats and trying to convince others that the Union is your God. That's not my cup of tea, to put it mildly.

Yes, I worked at FedEx years ago and wish I'd never have quit. I got paid less, but I worked a lot less and wouldn't be partially disabled from work like I am now.

I've given the union THOUSANDS of dollars. It not like I haven't paid my dues for years and years, but now I feel those dues are a waste and would be better served spent on my family instead of corrupt, lazy, fear mongers.

As far as our pay and compensation package, I think others have made much more progress than we have. You can go to a fast food restaurant and make more money than you can starting at UPS. Now everyone is a 22.4 hire, which means they DON'T have all the pay and benefits a RPCD has. Thanks, Teamsters. Pretty soon you'll be working 8 hours or less, and those 22.4 drivers will take all of that OT that pushes our salary to respectable levels.
I understand your frustration with the union leadership who negotiated this last contract. But change is coming.

OZ 2021

Cue the union tough guys to... throw childish tantrums en masse :D
Troll once again has no idea what he is talking about. He has one of the best leaders in the country. Troll you need to get your ass back to work. Again how many times has your leadership got your job back.

coolslice

I understand your frustration with the union leadership who negotiated this last contract. But change is coming.

Yeah, change IS coming. It's not going to be to our benefit either. I thought most people can see that. Obviously not. Most here trust the union more than they do their wive's.

Last edited:

8000Shelf

Yeah, change IS coming. It's not going to be to our benefit either. I thought most people can see that. Obviously not. Most here trust the union more than they do their wive's.
The fact is that every paycheck and benefit you ever received while being employed at UPS were a direct result of the Union. Weather you agree with all their stances is besides that fact. You are in serious denial if you think you've "never once needed the Union". The very fact you can even think about retirement is a result of Collective Bargaining! I don't know how much simpler I can put it

Poop Head

Judge me.
Yes, I have never needed the union. I have never asked them for anything. I have watched them blow my dues for years in almost every way possible. They're so crooked that they constantly fight and sue themselves. If you think I wouldn't sleep well at night knowing I'm not throwing my money away to liberal supporting crooks, you're sorely mistaken. I'll sleep better.

I think the problem is some of you have been brain washed to the point you've lost touch with reality. The union is UPS's biotch. All they care about is your dues. UPS does whatever it wants with the union, and the union comes out to tell you how they saved your life. Nobody that works at UPS gets overpaid. I earn every cent I make. I miss all the school programs, dinners, games, and so on. I get paid a lot because I work a lot, not because I stand against the wall and get paid a union wage.
I'm sure you'll get your "just desserts"

coolslice

The fact is that every paycheck and benefit you ever received while being employed at UPS were a direct result of the Union. Weather you agree with all their stances is besides that fact. You are in serious denial if you think you've "never once needed the Union". The very fact you can even think about retirement is a result of Collective Bargaining! I don't know how much simpler I can put it

Like I said, some of you are institutionalized by the union. You act like UPS pays the most and has the best benefits of any job. That's nonsense. There's a reason that UPS can't find people to work there anymore, so it's not as great as union whores would like you to believe it is. It's kind of funny, other threads are nothing but union bashing and blasting the contract, but you come here and the Union is some sort of miracle worker.

Air Recovery

Wow, you are literally retarded. :censored2: off - freeloading :censored2: heads like you don't even know how good you have it. You say you haven't needed the union once.

GUESS WHO NEGOTIATED YOUR PENSION PLAN YOU'RE ABOUT TO RETIRE TO.

You are a special type of :censored2:/loser. :censored2: off freeloader and good riddance we won't miss you.

Air Recovery

Like I said, some of you are institutionalized by the union. You act like UPS pays the most and has the best benefits of any job. That's nonsense. There's a reason that UPS can't find people to work there anymore, so it's not as great as union whores would like you to believe it is. It's kind of funny, other threads are nothing but union bashing and blasting the contract, but you come here and the Union is some sort of miracle worker.

Your full-timer called he wants his blow job

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer

If you can not figure this out on your own then you are a complete imbecile. We had a couple winners like you in our Sparks , NV Hub. Real popular people . (not)