RTW- Leaving the Union.

Two Tokes

Give it to me Baby
First off, I'm not posting this to debate the value of our union. If you love the union, I respect that.

I live in a RTW state, and I'm going to remove myself from the union for a couple of personal reasons. Our state law says that you can leave the union at any point after the contract that was in place when the state became a RTW state expires, including when that contract went under an extension. It also says that any attempt by the union to prevent a person from leaving is a felony and is punishable by a fine of up to $1,000.

In my situation, I have asked stewards about leaving over the last year. The canned answer is that I can't. They said there was a window of one week prior to our most recent contract in which we were allowed to leave. The union never mentioned this at any point to its members, and I know it's not legally true. Essentially, they are lying to keep keep me as a dues paying member, which as I said, is a potential felony. Now they are just blowing me off and refusing to answer my questions about what I need to formally do.

I have decided to send a certified letter stating my desire to leave. I fully expect the union to blow this off or create some other lie to wiggle out of it. This is why I already have a RTW attorney helping me.

My question is for anyone that has gone through this process, and what you experienced. Any advice you could provide would be greatly appreciated. My goal is to do this quickly and efficiently and not be drown into a childish situation that requires legal action and wasted time.
I work in a rtw state and recently found out that a fellow driver was not in the union
It is a joke that someone would take all the benefits that a union fights for but does not pay any dues
I would not piss on this guy if he was on fire
Eff him

Two Tokes

Give it to me Baby
Wow! What a bunch of useless turds! Listening to some of you whine makes me wonder how you function in society, let alone at a job.

I'm just a few short years from retirement, and I've never needed the union one time. The union is a bunch of scamming, fear mongering, do-nothing idiots. I'd rather keep my own money, and I sure as hell don't want my money going to tell me to vote for some :censored2: bag liberal.

The union needs people like you all. I'm not a scab or an idiot. I'm just smart enough to know when I'm getting screwed. It seems most here aren't. Enjoy the thousands you've given them a few short years from now when you've been replaced by 22.4's, drones, and an Amazon delivery van.
You suck

8000Shelf

Like I said, some of you are institutionalized by the union. You act like UPS pays the most and has the best benefits of any job. That's nonsense. There's a reason that UPS can't find people to work there anymore, so it's not as great as union whores would like you to believe it is. It's kind of funny, other threads are nothing but union bashing and blasting the contract, but you come here and the Union is some sort of miracle worker.
Ya that's true, the more I think about it I must be brainwashed. UPS would have no problems paying us $38/hr plus full medical benefits, a pension, vacations and job protection. Wake the hell up! No way in 2019 a corporation is giving you anything more THAN THEY HAVE TO!
The reason UPS can't keep anyone is a result of the company's mismanagement and spite of it's union workforce.
The Union can't control EVERYTHING the company does. It's their company, not the Union's.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
Fixed it for you Bub.

You’re also full of Sh^t. Almost to retirement and never needed the Union? So you've never been given a warning letter, or spoken to your stewards for advice, or had them represent you when you RTS? I can go on and on. Take your scab ass somewhere else.
Anyone who says they have never needed the union their whole career is either a kiss-ass or a pusillanimous.
punk kiss ass

542thruNthru

Anyone who says they have never needed the union their whole career is either a kiss-ass or a pusillanimous.
punk kiss ass

Actually... just doesn't understand that the union has given them their wages, benefits, pension and many other things throughout their whole career. Because we all know how understanding and generous UPS is.

Who here doesn't think UPS would try and make use pay for a portion of our uniforms?? Many company's only pay for a certain amount of uniforms and you cover the rest.

Misthios

I love my job. Don't you?
Like I said, some of you are institutionalized by the union. You act like UPS pays the most and has the best benefits of any job. That's nonsense. There's a reason that UPS can't find people to work there anymore, so it's not as great as union whores would like you to believe it is. It's kind of funny, other threads are nothing but union bashing and blasting the contract, but you come here and the Union is some sort of miracle worker.

Reason we have trouble finding people who want to drive is we have a generation of kids who were raised that this work is beneath them. Same as don't be a plumber or skilled tradesman or woman. Go to college get the degree live a fabulous life. For some that's great but doesn't work for a lot of folks. Our pay is actually fantastic. Take my brother for example captain :censored2: talker with his master's degree. I'm the idiot. I couldn't do anything without a college degree. I out earned him by $35,000 last year with free and better benefits. It's all in the eye of the beholder on this one. If you don't like it that's fine. You have the right to leave the union and good luck to you. Just don't come crying to us when you need us.

Redtag

Part on order, ok to drive
First off, I'm not posting this to debate the value of our union. If you love the union, I respect that.

I live in a RTW state, and I'm going to remove myself from the union for a couple of personal reasons. Our state law says that you can leave the union at any point after the contract that was in place when the state became a RTW state expires, including when that contract went under an extension. It also says that any attempt by the union to prevent a person from leaving is a felony and is punishable by a fine of up to $1,000.

In my situation, I have asked stewards about leaving over the last year. The canned answer is that I can't. They said there was a window of one week prior to our most recent contract in which we were allowed to leave. The union never mentioned this at any point to its members, and I know it's not legally true. Essentially, they are lying to keep keep me as a dues paying member, which as I said, is a potential felony. Now they are just blowing me off and refusing to answer my questions about what I need to formally do.

I have decided to send a certified letter stating my desire to leave. I fully expect the union to blow this off or create some other lie to wiggle out of it. This is why I already have a RTW attorney helping me.

My question is for anyone that has gone through this process, and what you experienced. Any advice you could provide would be greatly appreciated. My goal is to do this quickly and efficiently and not be drown into a childish situation that requires legal action and wasted time.

I hope you get fired and nobody is there to save your job you freeloader.

Like I said to you before, quit and go to fedex ground. Same job without the union negotiated benefits and pay.

I just read another of your posts and your a couple of years away from retirement? I assume your a full time driver? If so I have met guys like you. No frigging idea what it’s like in the real world for people that have to work at employment at Will jobs with no collective bargaining. You made a great middle class living and now sold your self on some BS to justify being a :censored2:ing freeloader.

In the nonunion world you love so much people don’t get paid 36 plus a hour plus OT to drive a frigging bread truck around and deliver packages. Lots of people work hard jobs for a LOT less money! In the non union world people pay 200 plus a week for a family plan and don’t have a pension.

Thankfully we don’t have right to freeload in my state, yet, lol at least until the :censored2:bags the republicans put in the Supreme Court force it on us.. lol state rights my ass.

Last edited:

coolslice

I love the maturity level of the union thugs here. Save my job? I can do that on my own, LOL! You don't need representation if you're not a garbage driver.

First off, I don't go to work to be popular. I could gave a :censored2: less if other drivers dislike me, and I could care even less what people on the internet think of me. I have plenty of friends there that hate the do nothing union as much as I do. We hate getting publications tell us who to vote for on the front cover and telling us the list of corrupt teamster brass on the back. We hate union bosses giving themselves raises. We hate that the local president makes way more than we do and doesn't do jack :censored2:. We hate hearing about how our local doesn't act on grievences because they don't want to "raise a stink." We hate that our local is more like an episode of Springer than a legitimate business outfit. We hate seeing pictures of the president going on paid trips to union gathering/parties paid for by us while we're in the back of a 135 degree box digging out 15 boxes of copy paper to pay for their lavish trips.

Here's a little reality check for you all. UPS pays what they do because they have to pay that much to keep people there working long hours in terrible, barbaric conditions. If they wanted to pay less wages and benefits going forward and not care about the quality of the employee or turnover, they'd create a 22.4 job- oh wait! Maybe they'd use drones to take union jobs, oh wait! I thought we owed everything to teamsters, or at least everything they didn't reroute to surepost.

You are being slowly screwed out of existence and you're too stupid to see it. You'd eat a mile of Teamster turds just to lick where it came from. UPS has slowly been turning our job into a job that a monkey could do, because that's who they are going to replace the union homers with when the time comes. There's a reason only 7% of the US workforce is unionized, and it's because people see the scam for what it is.

Here's the thing. UPS pays my wages, insurance, and pension. The teamsters make millions a year from our hard work. UPS will do what it wants, because they know the union doesn't give a damn what happens to us as long as they get a piece of your pie. You've been given the illusion that you need the union, but you'll see that when you expect them to help you the most, they'll turn your back on you. The golden days of being a package car driver are RIGHT NOW. You are currently being replaced by 22.4 drivers, PVD drivers, the USPS, and Amazon. If you think you're going to be working 50 hours a week making $42/hr 5 years from now, boooooy, you're about to have your parade rained on! You are correct, if UPS doesn't want to pay us what they do, then they won't. It's starting to happen right now and it's all happened despite the glorious teamsters who are powerless to stop it.

I wish things weren't the way they are with the union, but they are. You can either acknowledge the truth, or you can keep your head up your ass. I don't care either way. You'll find out soon enough what you've been defending.

coolslice

I hope you get fired and nobody is there to save your job you freeloader.

Like I said to you before, quit and go to fedex ground. Same job without the union negotiated benefits and pay.

I just read another of your posts and your a couple of years away from retirement? I assume your a full time driver? If so I have met guys like you. No frigging idea what it’s like in the real world for people that have to work at employment at Will jobs with no collective bargaining. You made a great middle class living and now sold your self on some BS to justify being a :censored2:ing freeloader.

In the nonunion world you love so much people don’t get paid 36 plus a hour plus OT to drive a frigging bread truck around and deliver packages. Lots of people work hard jobs for a LOT less money! In the non union world people pay 200 plus a week for a family plan and don’t have a pension.

Thankfully we don’t have right to freeload in my state, yet, lol at least until the :censored2:bags the republicans put in the Supreme Court force it on us.. lol state rights my ass.

This is the dumbest thing I've read yet. Freeload? I earn every MF'n cent I make. I don't owe the union a damn thing for allowing me to destroy my body and work long hours in conditions that the average person wouldn't tolerate for more than an hour. You really need to look at what we do for a living compared to other jobs before you start acting as if the union has done me a favor by allowing me to go to work. Ultimately, we work for UPS. If they want you there, they'll keep your there. If they want you gone, the union won't stop that. A lawyer will give you much better representation than some union guy who just drunkenly stumbled in off the golf course.

I worked at FedEx Express for 5 years, and wish I'd never have quit, to be honest. I still have friends that work there, and you're right, they don't make what I do. However, they don't work as hard as I do. They make about 60, and I make about 90. The difference is that while we have essentially become a moving company due to the number of irregs we deal with, they ride around in an air conditioned van delivering letters. They still get retirement and health insurance, and they will probably be able to walk after they retire. Is what we do worth the extra 30K (assuming you're not 22.4?) That's your decision.

coolslice

You earned every MF'n cent the union negotiated for you! was going to read your whole post but changed my mind

Yeah, you probably didn't read it because the truth hurts. There were lots of people at Jonestown that knew what was in that fruit punch, but drank it anyway.

I have an idea for most of you. Why don't you go to your local and ask if you can raise your dues? Isn't $23.50 a week kind of a slap in the face for the back breaking work the union has done for you over the years? How many of you willing pay more of your money to the union? If your theory is true, then maybe if you give them more money, they'll do more for you! That probably won't work though. The union will tell you that you're already paying them plenty of money and they don't want any more of the money they've negotiated for you to take from UPS, because we all know, you didn't earn it.

BadIdeaGuy

Staff member
Yeah, you probably didn't read it because the truth hurts. There were lots of people at Jonestown that knew what was in that fruit punch, but drank it anyway.

I have an idea for most of you. Why don't you go to your local and ask if you can raise your dues? Isn't $23.50 a week kind of a slap in the face for the back breaking work the union has done for you over the years? How many of you willing pay more of your money to the union? If your theory is true, then maybe if you give them more money, they'll do more for you! That probably won't work though. The union will tell you that you're already paying them plenty of money and they don't want any more of the money they've negotiated for you to take from UPS, because we all know, you didn't earn it.

Enjoy the pension, scab. My father struck in 97 to give you all the pay and benefits that you "earned yourself".

You didn't "earn that".

coolslice

Enjoy the pension, scab. My father struck in 97 to give you all the pay and benefits that you "earned yourself".

You didn't "earn that".

How do people at non-union jobs get a pension if they have no union to "give it to them?"

Tell your dad thanks for the pension. Because of him going on strike, I've never had to lift at finger at UPS and the union has just given everything to me. Now I feel kind of guilty for not doing anything to earn a pension all of these years. Maybe if I had done less work and paid the Teamsters more money, I could have got full benefits when I'm 75 instead of 70.