S & P rating

T

tuknick

NEW YORK - On the heels of President George W. Bush's plan to cut the double taxation of dividends, analysts at Standard and Poor's revealed a long-term study Monday giving investors even more reasons to chase dividends.

Based on Standard and Poor's own Quality Ranking System that assess common stocks on earnings and dividend performance, S&P found that high-quality stocks, those rated A+ to A-, outperformed the S&P 500 index by 500 basis points annually over the past 17 years. If the index gained 15%, then a portfolio of only the top dividend stocks would jump 20%. In a downturn, those same stocks held up better than the overall market.

S&P has used its Quality Ranking System for more than 40 years to look at a common dividend performance as it relates to long-term growth. While it's no stretch to see the correlation of both factors--that stable dividend payers are good performers--the study's results show that higher-quality stocks are actually worth their higher multiples.

Does anyone know the S&P rating for UPS?

Cheers

U

upsadvisor

UPS is one of only nine co's that carry an
AAA /Aaa rating

( S&P / Moodys )

John

I

it_guy

There are actually only 8 AAA companies left. They are American International Group, Berkshire Hathaway, ExxonMobil, General Electric, Johnson & Johnson, Merck, Pfizer, and United Parcel Service. Bristol-Myers Squibb became the latest company to get booted out of the AAA club on April 22 of last year.

L

longups

I think you folks referring to UPS's AAA rating are referring to the credit side of the S&P rating. The message from tuknick implies a stock quality rating system which S&P has also.
(I don't know what UPS's rating is by the way.)