Safe by choice not by chance??

SmithBarney

Haven't heard it, butwe have Zero, Zero, Zero Days...
basically where they tell us we are all zeros,
they like to bring up the one accident we have had
in the past 100,000miles or whatever...
therefore we suck as drivers, and should all die... or something like that.

Who ever comes up with these "ideas" should be taken out back for a beating.
If anything says anti-productivity its the negative feedback from management .

Whens the last time you've been told "good job" but they'll sure as hell let you know when you friend'd up...(even minorly)

xkingx

yeah we've been getting messages everyday..thanks for chosing to be safe today...

like we chose to get hurt and deal with workmans comp and the harrassment by mangement..

deezilfuelonly

Why dosn't mgmnt reallly just tell us they only care about "saftey" because it affects their bottom line. If a world existed without workers comp or insurance they would care less if we got hurt or in an accident. It is ALL about money and that is it. Target Zero just means more money in their pockets. Be safe for yourself and family because thats what really matters not their stupid propaganda.

L

Load Stand

Why dosn't mgmnt reallly just tell us they only care about "saftey" because it affects their bottom line. If a world existed without workers comp or insurance they would care less if we got hurt or in an accident. It is ALL about money and that is it. Target Zero just means more money in their pockets. Be safe for yourself and family because thats what really matters not their stupid propaganda.

Deezil: I agree it is what really matters...but if management is not talking about safety, unfortunately a greater number of employees will in fact get injured or be involved in accidents...call it propaganda if you wish, but perhaps someone listened and it made a difference...

We have come a long way with injuries and accidents...and yes, it does result in cost savings to the organization and less pain/suffering to the employee...it's a win/win for both...

Safety in my opinion is the largest variable we have as an organizaton when it comes to cost...Production/efficiency is also important, but Safety should be first ....the production numbers will always be in a certain range....

S

speeddemon

Yea, I chose to hurt my arm in 95 and be out of work for 5 months, and lose all that pay, and ......................MORONS!

L

Load Stand

Yea, I chose to hurt my arm in 95 and be out of work for 5 months, and lose all that pay, and ......................MORONS!

Speed, how did you hurt your arm? Working too fast by choice? Not taking the second or two to think how am I going to lift that package )which by after doing such for everybox shoudl come without hesitation)...not letting the wheels move first before turning that steering wheel? Or perhaps you had something happen that was not your fault/choice at all??? Your screen name suggests that you are afterall - a Speed Demon!!

deezilfuelonly

Deezil: I agree it is what really matters...but if management is not talking about safety, unfortunately a greater number of employees will in fact get injured or be involved in accidents...call it propaganda if you wish, but perhaps someone listened and it made a difference...

We have come a long way with injuries and accidents...and yes, it does result in cost savings to the organization and less pain/suffering to the employee...it's a win/win for both...

Safety in my opinion is the largest variable we have as an organizaton when it comes to cost...Production/efficiency is also important, but Safety should be first ....the production numbers will always be in a certain range....
I've been in on safety meetings where mgmnt has told us how to get a driver to admit he was at fault for any accident/injury (thats when I quit). I have to believe for my own personal values that UPS cares only about the bottom line and that saftey affects that bottom line.

Megansman

We've started the "safety shake" -- turn to another driver at the pcm, shake his or her hand and tell 'em "Be Safe."

Needless to say, accidents are down 79%, injuries down 84% and it's all good times and gravy here. If I hadn't looked at a calender, I wouldn't even know it's peak.

xkingx

Speed, how did you hurt your arm? Working too fast by choice? Not taking the second or two to think how am I going to lift that package )which by after doing such for everybox shoudl come without hesitation)...not letting the wheels move first before turning that steering wheel? Or perhaps you had something happen that was not your fault/choice at all??? Your screen name suggests that you are afterall - a Speed Demon!!

EVERY injury at UPS is YOUR fault...PERIOD!!!!