Safe Work Days My Ass

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
See above. I spent the majority of the meeting time listing out the safety concerns for our work area first, next meeting will ask all of the questions above you recommended, and obviously next is a conversation with our BA.
Did they care about your safety concerns?

cynic

Did they care about your safety concerns?

We'll see if it is lip service or if they care tomorrow, first day of week. The PT'er co-chair came back to unload to see what I was referring to. I showed him everything, told him anything not fixed when I came in to work on Tuesday would be in a Safety Grievance. Told him I expected my concerns to be reflected in the Safety Committee meeting minutes or I would be glad to provide him and the XYZ District with my addendum to the meeting minutes since I would only be able to interpret his omission as an attempt to cover up safety issues. That fool.

Integrity

Binge Poster
See above. I spent the majority of the meeting time listing out the safety concerns for our work area first, next meeting will ask all of the questions above you recommended, and obviously next is a conversation with our BA.
cynic,

Are all the hourly members union?

Would you be willing to share the list on PM?

Sincerely,
I

cynic

cynic,

Are all the hourly members union?

Would you be willing to share the list on PM?

Sincerely,
I

I'm in a RTW state and most of the members appeared to be fairly junior so I'd be surprised if they were IBT members. I'm going to share the member names with our BA, as to sharing names via an anonymous venue as such, I'd politely decline. I'd be glad to share what the ratio of member/non-member is with you once I receive it.

Integrity

Binge Poster
We'll see if it is lip service or if they care tomorrow, first day of week. The PT'er co-chair came back to unload to see what I was referring to. I showed him everything, told him anything not fixed when I came in to work on Tuesday would be in a Safety Grievance. Told him I expected my concerns to be reflected in the Safety Committee meeting minutes or I would be glad to provide him and the XYZ District with my addendum to the meeting minutes since I would only be able to interpret his omission as an attempt to cover up safety issues. That fool.
cynic,

Is this a reasonable time for the repairs to be made?

I am not saying it isn't however you want be firm but reasonable.

My experience has shown that this goes a long way when involving any outside regulatory agency.

Sincerely,
I

Integrity

Binge Poster
I'm in a RTW state and most of the members appeared to be fairly junior so I'd be surprised if they were IBT members. I'm going to share the member names with our BA, as to sharing names via an anonymous venue as such, I'd politely decline. I'd be glad to share what the ratio of member/non-member is with you once I receive it.
cynic,

I wasn't referring to sharing the names of the members.

I am sorry it did come across that way.

I was actually referring to your safety list.

PM of course.

Sincerely,
I

cynic

cynic,

I wasn't referring to sharing the names of the members.

I am sorry it did come across that way.

I was actually referring to your safety list.

PM of course.

Sincerely,
I

Glad to - I should receive a copy of the "minutes" with (in)action items today.

cynic

If he's a scab, he should be canned from the safety committee ASAP.

He's worse than a scab - he's a union lackey for management. I had to get him off his lazy ass surfing the web to show him egress piling up on one of the belts. The guy is a worthless tool - but an IBT member, in theory. FML

UPS Preloader

He's worse than a scab - he's a union lackey for management. I had to get him off his lazy ass surfing the web to show him egress piling up on one of the belts. The guy is a worthless tool - but an IBT member, in theory. FML

Egress issues are our responsibility as well as UPS. Bottom line, don't create or allow egress issues. If there are egress issues it is an unsafe working condition and needs to be resolved. Stop the belt and fix it. If ordered to restart the belt, you can refuse if its truly a safety issue or start it back up against your will and file a grievance siting an OSHA violation. It works wonders in my building.

cynic

Egress issues are our responsibility as well as UPS. Bottom line, don't create or allow egress issues. If there are egress issues it is an unsafe working condition and needs to be resolved. Stop the belt and fix it. If ordered to restart the belt, you can refuse if its truly a safety issue or start it back up against your will and file a grievance siting an OSHA violation. It works wonders in my building.

A very long belt with absolutlely no one working by the egress - there is a slide that can be pulled down by the PT sup and that usually starts the packages flowing off the belt onto the grating. (I understand what you're saying - it's one of the reasons I quit loading because of PT sup's being screamed at by FT sup's to keep the belt running.) I'm talking at least 20 feet of egress piled up to belt level without a sole around it. There were air cans on both side of this pile of ****. IMHO in such a case it falls onto UPS to ensure that egress never happens (caused by PT sup) and is staffed to be cleaned up when it does.

cynic

cynic,

Is this a reasonable time for the repairs to be made?

I am not saying it isn't however you want be firm but reasonable.

My experience has shown that this goes a long way when involving any outside regulatory agency.

Sincerely,
I

A reasonable amount of time for something to be repaired that can injure an employee is that shift or take it out of service until safety to the employee is restored. Period.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
A very long belt with absolutlely no one working by the egress - there is a slide that can be pulled down by the PT sup and that usually starts the packages flowing off the belt onto the grating. (I understand what you're saying - it's one of the reasons I quit loading because of PT sup's being screamed at by FT sup's to keep the belt running.) I'm talking at least 20 feet of egress piled up to belt level without a sole around it. There were air cans on both side of this pile of ****. IMHO in such a case it falls onto UPS to ensure that egress never happens (caused by PT sup) and is staffed to be cleaned up when it does.
Yes egress issues are rampant on a daily basis.....slides piled 15 feet high with packages falling....blocking the walkways. Sups don't care till someone gets hurt, then it's our fault. My building's roof leaks when it rains..it has for years...so it literally rains from the ceiling on my belt. The metal grates get slippery...management's solution is to throw kitty litter on the puddles. Which just keeps getting wet and turns into slippery wet mud. It keeps us on our toes lol.

Integrity

Binge Poster
cynic,

I agree. It is management's responsibility to oversee the workforce.

Sincerely,
I

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
Well...if he get's hurt while he's...shall we say enhanced...is it UPS fault? Can you say without a shadow of a doubt that whatever you're co-worker was on didn't in some way contribute to his being hurt? The safe work days thing can be a bit sketchy.

Integrity

Binge Poster
A reasonable amount of time for something to be repaired that can injure an employee is that shift or take it out of service until safety to the employee is restored. Period.
cynic,

In theory this works and I agree with you in principle, but look around you.

UPS has conveniently overlooked so many things and so many hazards of many degrees exist, this stance would only weaken a postion.

It might make a reasonable person view this employee as an unreasonable malcontent.

Even when OSHA addresses violations with the company they often give a considerable time frame for which very serious hazards can be addressed.

I recommend that you don't take and unreasonable stand, but a methodical persistent stand.

Sincerely,
I