Safety Committee

mikestrek

In our center the fastest way on to the safety committee is to have an accident. As soon as your write up is handed down, it is "suggested" you should sign up. It's hilarious watching the poor guy who just smashed a miata reading the safety tips at the pcms for a month.[/quot
LOL. That is way to funny. No, We haven't done that in our center but interesting. :happy2:

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
A couple of things.

First off, if you allow the company to run over your rights, then you sit there and blame the company? How does that work? A bunch of spinless cry babies!!! Its in the contract, you voted it in, do something with it.

The safety committee is your safety committee, not UPS's. They had to create the program, and the union has said they have to pay you for your time doing safety committee work. There is also language that addresses safety issues that the company will not follow up on. File grievances, use your tallents to make UPS adhere to the contract.

Or do like so many of you here, type your frustrations out on this site without ever taking the time to change things. Shame on you! You deserve the safety committee you have, after all by not demanding your rights, you have given them away and allowed UPS to do as they see fit.

For those that have taken the company to task while serving on the safety committee, our thanks. I know that the job is thankless. But you can and do make a difference. And while the members of management kick and scream when you try and make serious changes, hold your course. They might not like what you do, or even like you. Who cares. But they will respect your actions. And it will bear fruit.

For those of you that have, lead on. For those that have not, enjoy what you have allowed to be mis-created.

d

scoobypanda

Wow.....thanks for backing me up Dan. I said similar things, but I tried to be a little more tactful and politically correct while you went right for the jugular. You are THE MAN. Knowing that I am pissing off management a lot more than I am pissing off my co-workers is my usual barometer for success. Safety and the safety committee is a great tool/weapon. It just takes some work and a thick skull.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Im sorry if I stepped on any toes.

Well, not really.

I just get tired of the snipers on the sidelines posting how the safety committee has become a tool for the company.

Well what in the hell did you think they were going to do, invite you in to become one more challenge to their day? Get real. IF you want change, and I mean real change, start from the inside and be that agent of change. There are tools there for you to use, use them. Keep hitting them with safety grievances until they cant see over the stack. Document everything you do and tell them about.

Then if you dont get any results, turn up the heat. Lots of things you can do, and many of them will bring attention to you as a driver. But so what. Do your job like you know how it needs to be done. No matter who is or is not watching.

And when the company cochair tries to push some asinine program that treats the drivers like 2 year olds, come up with something else, something different, something that will make a difference.

Hell, the world if full of would be/has beens that can sit by the keyboard and shoot down those that would dare to lead.......and there are many here.

Make your difference, make your mark, or shut the heck up. If you cant be part of the solution, its because you are part of the problem.

d

d

mikestrek

A couple of things.

First off, if you allow the company to run over your rights, then you sit there and blame the company? How does that work? A bunch of spinless cry babies!!! Its in the contract, you voted it in, do something with it.

The safety committee is your safety committee, not UPS's. They had to create the program, and the union has said they have to pay you for your time doing safety committee work. There is also language that addresses safety issues that the company will not follow up on. File grievances, use your tallents to make UPS adhere to the contract.

Or do like so many of you here, type your frustrations out on this site without ever taking the time to change things. Shame on you! You deserve the safety committee you have, after all by not demanding your rights, you have given them away and allowed UPS to do as they see fit.

For those that have taken the company to task while serving on the safety committee, our thanks. I know that the job is thankless. But you can and do make a difference. And while the members of management kick and scream when you try and make serious changes, hold your course. They might not like what you do, or even like you. Who cares. But they will respect your actions. And it will bear fruit.

For those of you that have, lead on. For those that have not, enjoy what you have allowed to be mis-created.

d
dannyboy, Good comment. I see your point.

Overpaid Union Thug

We don't bitch about the safety committee in my center. Yes, they are all hand picked by management. Yes, they are all brown nosers. The committee is such a sham(e) here and that is exactly why the rest of us consider it a non-factor and nothing worth whining about. I have found that if I just use common sense and the methods we were all taught then safety will come naturally.

LKLND3380

I believe most of you have a safety committee? We do in our center. Our safety committee was hand picked by our management team. Some in our center are saying that being on the safety comimittee is a sweet position to have. Easy o/t clocking on early. Days off route working inside. Also safety awards being handed out to your buddies and not to the employees that are working there tale ends off to remain safe.

We have been told that the Union should have a say as to who should be on the safety committee. As I mentioned all have been hand picked by our management team. They even picked a shop Steward we all don't trust. Yes, we plan to vote him out but that's a whole new thread.

How did all of you pick your Safety Committee? Did you take a vote? Was it by seniority? In our center it seems the safety committee is becoming a place for management to reward there favorite employees.

I'll also have to mention, Our center almost always fails our surprise audits. Our safety committee just gives everyone the answers to all the cbt questions and the chsp questions.

What's your safety Committee like?

Anyone who shows up on a regular basis is on the committee. The union does have the right to approve...