Safety committee

Integrity

Binge Poster
1...I didn't mean you are a hypocrite, but rather corporate leadership who preach safety and yet make decisions that threaten the health and safety of workers.

2. The safety concerns I mentioned created by corporate are recognized hazards already. UPS is well aware of excessive heat, excessive hours, etc. They just choose to accept the injuries as part of the cost of doing business.

The idea that it is the responsibility of individual employees to file to change these huge company wide issues is like telling someone to yell at the wind to stop blowing.

1. Thank you for the clarification.

2. If a specific employee feels that UPS is failing to provide a workplace free of recognized hazards then that specific employee has a right to blow the whistle regarding this failure.

I have had success but I would recommend the 3 step process that I generally employ. I believe my process provides the most credible and effective way of responding to specific safety complaints.

I have had many failures but have had a few large scale successes using this approach.

Integrity

Binge Poster
Tell me Integrity, which is moe egregious...

A feeder driver who repeatedly speeds in the yard endangering his and several others' safety (after being warned several times).
OR
A district manager who orders his center managers to work his package car drivers 14 hours a day continually for 8 straight weeks during peak because he understaffed.

The 8 straight weeks of 14 hour days happened here a few years ago. 70 hour rule invoked...70 hours (in 5 days) for hundreds of drivers. Thousands of missed stops brought back daily. We had several drivers fall asleep at the wheel, I was one of them. The hundreds of drivers each had their safety put in danger working until 11 PM or later every day. Not to mention the thousands of other drivers and pedestrians they encountered.

Should the feeder driver be fired?
He endangers several.

Should the district manager be fired?
He endangered thousands.

I personally brought up the understaffing issue with him prior to that peak season. He chose to make more money for himself rather than hire additional workers.

This district manager preaches personal responsibility for safety and hands out warning letters. No solider follows a hypocrite into battle.

UPS pulls telematics records to see which drivers back excessively, back first etc.

Who pulls the records for district managers?
Failure of both employees, hourly and management, to correct recognized workplace hazards should ultimately end in both being fired.

If a safety concern ever gets to the grievance process an Information Request can probably get you any management paperwork that is relevant to the specific grievance.

Poop Head

Judge me.
If a safety concern ever gets to the grievance process an Information Request can probably get you any management paperwork that is relevant to the specific grievance.
0hAWItjkwrEZSnROk.gif