Safety Day?

mikeyb

So, I've been a driver for a little while now and I've noticed that a couple of the other drivers that are on the safety committee take a "safety day" a couple of days a week. Some of the others drivers hound these drivers a little about taking this "gravy" day. Anyhow, I'm also on the safety committee but have never been asked to take a safety day and I've never really heard or been explained the details. Do you have to be full time for a certain period of time to be allowed this. Anyone familiar with the details on how this works? They are somehow able to take these days even on the heaviest peak days.

Notretiredyet

Observations are part of it, there's lots of paperwork that needs to be done. More if you're in a center with injuries and accidents. Then there's lots of conference calls with those who don't actually have any idea what we face daily. Never get any days off myself either, but I'd rather do my route than deal with that bs all day.

the_weasel

All safety committee members should really consider themselves management's little snitches ! Your basically doing management's paperwork and bull smilet that they used to do. Now they throw down to be done by the weak and worthless !

box_beeyotch

I'm on the safety committee for one soul purpose, for an extra hour of pay to attend the meeting pushing me into overtime faster. Could care less about management or what they want to know.

the_weasel

Those who attend meetings make no input in the meetings and steal a free hour are alright ! Take the money don't get invoked eat and sleep through the meeting for a easy hour of OT :) !

So, I've been a driver for a little while now and I've noticed that a couple of the other drivers that are on the safety committee take a "safety day" a couple of days a week. Some of the others drivers hound these drivers a little about taking this "gravy" day. Anyhow, I'm also on the safety committee but have never been asked to take a safety day and I've never really heard or been explained the details. Do you have to be full time for a certain period of time to be allowed this. Anyone familiar with the details on how this works? They are somehow able to take these days even on the heaviest peak days.
Guess you run to fast. They dont want to code you out for a "safety day"

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Being on the Safety Committee is easy money. Driver On Area Observations made by non-management are done anonymously, putting the drivers's name or route on the form is optional. Nobody ever looks at this stuff, the company just wants stroke count numbers to show Liberty Mutual an effort is being made. I did an Intersection Audit and sat at a PC entering data all day Thursday, I did not touch a box. Frequently we just shuttle missorts around working these days. I was amazed they did not put me on the road, my Center has so many extra drivers right now they were even giving a few of them the day off the past week.

box_beeyotch

Being on the Safety Committee is easy money. Driver On Area Observations made by non-management are done anonymously, putting the drivers's name or route on the form is optional. Nobody ever looks at this stuff, the company just wants stroke count numbers to show Liberty Mutual an effort is being made. I did an Intersection Audit and sat at a PC entering data all day Thursday, I did not touch a box. Frequently we just shuttle missorts around working these days. I was amazed they did not put me on the road, my Center has so many extra drivers right now they were even giving a few of them the day off the past week.
Also a good and easy way for a cover driver to learn a new route. It's not the proper way but it works.

Notretiredyet

I've never done driver observations and never will, I prefer doing new driver mentoring. We bring the new guys in a few times a week with an early start and answer their questions. When I started this was done at the local bar and the advice usually cost a beer.Now UPS gives me beer money for schooling him instead of the rookie actually buying me a beer.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
UPS is required by OSHA to have Safety Committees.

Therefore, a budget is allocated specifically for this purpose and it is required that the budget be spent.

It is not required, nor is it even desired, that the Safety Committees actually accomplish anything; they simply need to generate enough paperwork to prove their own existence in case OSHA ever decides to do an audit.

The goal for UPS is for each operation to have a "Safety Committee in a bottle" that exists for its own sake and can be taken down off of the shelf to be shown to OSHA and then put away again. What UPS does NOT want...is a Safety Committee that demands any sort of changes to equipment, facilities or procedures. These changes cost money, and UPS's goal is for each Committee to spend only what is allocated to it and not one penny more.

Actually fixing unsafe equipment, overcrowded facilities or unrealistic production standards would require the company to make a significant financial investment above and beyond what is budgeted for each Safety Committee. Improvements can be expensive; acronyms, word games and water bottles are cheap and they allow the company to comply with OSHA without the risk of spending any additional money.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
UPS is required by OSHA to have Safety Committees.

Therefore, a budget is allocated specifically for this purpose and it is required that the budget be spent.

It is not required, nor is it even desired, that the Safety Committees actually accomplish anything; they simply need to generate enough paperwork to prove their own existence in case OSHA ever decides to do an audit.

The goal for UPS is for each operation to have a "Safety Committee in a bottle" that exists for its own sake and can be taken down off of the shelf to be shown to OSHA and then put away again. What UPS does NOT want...is a Safety Committee that demands any sort of changes to equipment, facilities or procedures. These changes cost money, and UPS's goal is for each Committee to spend only what is allocated to it and not one penny more.

Actually fixing unsafe equipment, overcrowded facilities or unrealistic production standards would require the company to make a significant financial investment above and beyond what is budgeted for each Safety Committee. Improvements can be expensive; acronyms, word games and water bottles are cheap and they allow the company to comply with OSHA without the risk of spending any additional money.
Hammer, meet nail.