Safety Grievance

blakerben

I work around other sorters who are constantly throwing boxes in an unsafe manner. I had to go on light duty three times last year including one doctors visit just from being hit by boxes. I like sorting and don’t want to have to change to a different area because of others working unsafe. I’ve done everything I can think of. I’ve talked to my coworkers, my area part time supervisor, my full time Sup, my hub manager, my area safety team leader, the head of the safety team and two union stewards. But the unsafe work habits continue. I’m planning on going to my BA this week to see what options I have left. Anybody ever dealt with this or have any thoughts?

over9five

Staff member
I had to go on light duty three times last year including one doctors visit just from being hit by boxes
Do the sorters not like you? Learn to duck!

J/k, have no answers for you, it sounds like you've done all the right things.
Please let us know what the BA says

WTFm8

Stop talking, start filing.

File on working conditions every day it happens. Next time something hits you, even just a corner of a box making you sore, claim an injury.

blakerben

What article would I file under, and would I file on my part time Sup or full time Sup? I wouldn’t want to file on a fellow union member if I can avoid it.

Rack em

Made the Podium
What article would I file under, and would I file on my part time Sup or full time Sup? I wouldn’t want to file on a fellow union member if I can avoid it.
Don't ever file on another union employee. Just put your supervisors name on the grievance and state that you have told him of the unsafe working conditions and he has failed to correct them.

blakerben

I know the date and time of the last meeting, which was last week, and my union steward was present at it. Can a union steward be a witness on a grievance or do they have to stay neutral on them?

Well, if I work in front it’s much harder to see the person on my right because my body is turned more towards the left at packages coming at me and I’ve had boxes blindly hit me from behind. If I’m behind the other sorters at least I have a better chance of dodging them. But most of the time I’m sandwiched between two sorters throwing boxes. Now when I say throwing boxes, I mean they basically plant their feet in front of their sort bar and try to throw the boxes to the belts from where their standing. Virtually no one steps to the belt their sorting to. I know it’s extremely difficult to do perfect hand to surface, but they should at least step to the belt and get close. Trainers and sort supervisors sort the same unsafe way which makes the situation feel unfixable at times. I’ve had to slow way down on my sorting speed so I can keep a better eye on the people working around me. The unload Sup blows a gasket any time he hears me ask my unloader to put more space between his boxes, but I just tell him it’s a safety issue.

As a steward I have been a witness numerous times on grievances, also a good trick is when your going to file a grievance ask the supervisor your grieving who told him or her to do union work that way you put it on the grievance form.

BiggieBrown

Never hesitate to file on a union member, especially if they are the source of the problem.
It's only Tuesday and I've already filed on 2 drivers just this week.
The rah rah union stuff is B.S. You have to look out for yourself, especially if you are a part-timer, because believe me no one else gives a :censored2:.

Last edited:

Integrity

Binge Poster
Never hesitate to file on a union member, especially if they are the source of the problem.
It's only Tuesday and I've already filed on 2 drivers just this week.
The rah rah union stuff is B.S. You have to look out for yourself, especially if you are a part-timer, because believe me no one else gives a :censored2:.
I care.

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day
You are not going to change anyones behavior. You work with idiots. Work in the front and only the front. We had a guy who was afraid of egress and fires. He only worked in the front. Be that guy.

blakerben

How does working in front help? Maybe we’re thinking of different types of fronts? If you’re in front, you have the sorters behind you throwing boxes and your back is mainly turned to them.

lurker123

You had 3 reported injuries last year and nobody cares? If you are serious about having spoken to everyone up to your hub manager about this, you can contact your district health and safety manager. If you PM me your district I can help you find their contact info.