Sat. scheduled conference call

Spicybrother

Perhaps but it would soon swing around to $32/hr plus full free benefits for a job which only requires a HS dilpoma and where do I sign up.
Work at Burger King the pay is the same as UPS starting pay and sometimes more. Maybe UPS can hire new package drivers from Burger King and Mc Donalds. The talent level they seem to be willing to pay for is the same.

beentheredonethat

Not necessarily. I was thinking yesterday that the insurance hike they sent out to retirees might offer quite a bit of leverage for the Teamsters.

In the event of a strike they could spin that as a large greedy corporation raising insurance rates high enough to bump their retirees off onto the public insurance payrolls. Combine that with the fact that they haven't raised part time wages for 15 years and made billions in profit and IMO that would be a huge black eye for UPS.

You may be right.. Back in 1997 the UPS Mgmt committee didn't go on any offensive in termsof public relations. Frankly they were stunned at how the PR battle was waged and won by the teamsters. I don't think that they will make that mistake again.

I think if UPS said, we signed a contract back in (sorry can't remember year of ratification of last contract) that spelled out that UPS pays for it's retirees out of it's own pocket 6250 per year and then the contract has us split the cost above that threshold and that's what we are still proposing. In the past x years we have had people retired who pay only $50/month for insurance for a family I think a ton of people would be out there saying, where do I sign up? If they then counter what they give compared to our nearest rivals (FDX Grd, FDX Express) I think that it will be more in UPS favor. Also, if UPS shows how much we have our mgmt pay for insurance and have for years. I again think you will blunt any criticism from the public. Again, just my opinion. But I really don't see UPS mgmt committee not having a PR offensive campaign planned out. (Unlike the when it occurred in during the work stoppage).

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
Work at Burger King the pay is the same as UPS starting pay and sometimes more. Maybe UPS can hire new package drivers from Burger King and Mc Donalds. The talent level they seem to be willing to pay for is the same.

Wrong.

UPS is willing to pay its new drivers at least $15/hour, plus full benefits. On an annual basis, that's a more generous compensation package than most Burger King and McDonald's managers receive, despite the fact that UPS drivers work fewer hours, have easier jobs & receive weekends and holidays off (not to mention more generous paid time off allotments).

brown_trousers

UPS has been complaining about the cost of health insurance at the negotiating table. They cite the statistic that 97% of workers nationwide pay for part of their health insurance.

Well... Does UPS want to be in the bottom 97% that dont fully cover their employee's health care?.. or the top 3% that do?

I vote to put UPS in the top 3%

brown_trousers

Wrong.

UPS is willing to pay its new drivers at least $15/hour, plus full benefits. On an annual basis, that's a more generous compensation package than most Burger King and McDonald's managers receive, despite the fact that UPS drivers work fewer hours, have easier jobs & receive weekends and holidays off (not to mention more generous paid time off allotments).

WRONG! A new Driver at UPS isn't a "starting" position. A new driver at UPS probably has an average of 6-8 yrs of seniority with the company. Therefore, it takes 6-8yrs of working at UPS to reach that $15/hr driver pay.

UPS starting pay, is where most (if not all) of us have to start out out... part-time and minimum wage....... $8.50/hr

barnyard

KTM rider
while keeping in mind that a strike in this economy would be public relations suicide.

Crystal Sugar has used their contract negotiations to paint the union workforce as greedy and overpaid. It is looking like they have succeeded in replacing their unionized workforce with nonunion labor with almost no repercussions. RTW votes in Michigan and Wisconsin's recent upheaval have shown union companies that they can do what they want and have the support of the general public.

It is a frustrating time to be a union supporter.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
WRONG! A new Driver at UPS isn't a "starting" position. A new driver at UPS probably has an average of 6-8 yrs of seniority with the company. Therefore, it takes 6-8yrs of working at UPS to reach that $15/hr driver pay.

UPS starting pay, is where most (if not all) of us have to start out out... part-time and minimum wage....... $8.50/hr

I'm not wrong; he clearly compared "new package drivers" to entry-level fast food workers.

But if you want to compare UPS PTers to fast food workers: most PTers earn $10/hour after 90-days, receive no-cost benefits after a year and have holidays and weekends off - some even have tuition reimbursement. Compare that to the typical fast food worker, who banks $7.50/hour with no additional benefits (well, they do get free food if that's what they like) and ends up working most holidays and weekends. Not to mention the opportunities available to PTers... many are eligible for seasonal, air & TCD opportunities shortly after their employment begins. Fast food employees may look forward to an extra dime per hour if they get tagged as "shift leader." Does the pay suck at UPS? Absolutely. But both UPS and fast food restaurants compete for the same work pool, and hire anybody with a pulse. And UPS is very clearly the superior job.

barnyard

KTM rider
Compare that to the typical fast food worker, who banks $7.50/hour with no additional benefits (well, they do get free food if that's what they like) and ends up working most holidays and weekends.

You have not looked into working at BK or McDs in the past couple of years, obviously.

My youngest worked at BK when she was 15. Because she was 15, she could only work at the registers. She made $8.50/hour and would have received $1.50/hour raise on her 16th birthday if she stayed. In my area, McD's starts at $10 and goes up from there. 1 hour west of here, they start at @ $12 and go up from there (an experienced burger flipper in Fargo can start at $14-16/hr.) and they are always hiring.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
You have not looked into working at BK or McDs in the past couple of years, obviously.

My youngest worked at BK when she was 15. Because she was 15, she could only work at the registers. She made $8.50/hour and would have received $1.50/hour raise on her 16th birthday if she stayed. In my area, McD's starts at $10 and goes up from there. 1 hour west of here, they start at @ $12 and go up from there (an experienced burger flipper in Fargo can start at $14-16/hr.) and they are always hiring.

According to a recent New York Times article, the median wage for a chain fast food worker in New York City is $8.90 (again, New York City -- not Peoria, IL or Gators Creek, GA), and that's after several years experience. Glassdoor lists the average McDonald's worker as making $7.63, versus $11.00 for UPS part-time. A close relative of mine owns multiple McD's franchises; it'd be impossible to turn a profit at the wages you mentioned - the Dollar Menu is still the primary volume driver at most locations. Don't let the black gold boom fool ND is experiencing fool you -- it's been reported on here that UPS is desperate for drivers there and is hiring off the street.

brown_trousers

I'm not wrong; he clearly compared "new package drivers" to entry-level fast food workers.

But if you want to compare UPS PTers to fast food workers: most PTers earn $10/hour after 90-days, receive no-cost benefits after a year and have holidays and weekends off - some even have tuition reimbursement. Compare that to the typical fast food worker, who banks $7.50/hour with no additional benefits (well, they do get free food if that's what they like) and ends up working most holidays and weekends. Not to mention the opportunities available to PTers... many are eligible for seasonal, air & TCD opportunities shortly after their employment begins. Fast food employees may look forward to an extra dime per hour if they get tagged as "shift leader." Does the pay suck at UPS? Absolutely. But both UPS and fast food restaurants compete for the same work pool, and hire anybody with a pulse. And UPS is very clearly the superior job.

Most drivers I know started at 8.50/hr or less as a part-timer. Starting pay for EVERYONE at UPS is 8.50/hr

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

North Dakota? Isn't there a labor shortage there due to the Balkan (?) oil? Unemployment of 2.2% in Bismark and 2.4% in Minot.

barnyard

KTM rider
North Dakota? Isn't there a labor shortage there due to the Balkan (?) oil? Unemployment of 2.2% in Bismark and 2.4% in Minot.

There a labor shortage due to the Bakken oil shale boom. There are 3 centers in the Bakken that have hired drivers off the street.

The Bakken formation is in far western ND and is affecting wages in western Mn, over 300 miles away. My labor market is not as affected by the boom, yet there is still reasonable money to be made in fastfood here. My center has lost preloaders to McD, the pay is a little better for much, much easier work. Plus a much more flexible work schedule. My center does not offer any tuition assistance for college workers.

TxRoadDawg

10 an hour for being smart enough to babble can I take your order please. No dam wonder this is the entitlement generation.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
There a labor shortage due to the Bakken oil shale boom. There are 3 centers in the Bakken that have hired drivers off the street.

The Bakken formation is in far western ND and is affecting wages in western Mn, over 300 miles away. My labor market is not as affected by the boom, yet there is still reasonable money to be made in fastfood here. My center has lost preloaders to McD, the pay is a little better for much, much easier work. Plus a much more flexible work schedule. My center does not offer any tuition assistance for college workers.

Certainly not typical. Nationally, few McDonald's -- even in high-expense markets like NYC, San Francisco, etc. -- pay more than minimum wage. Corporate-owned McDonald's (not franchised) around me are hiring at minimum wage, but offering 50 cents per hour worked toward tuition reimbursement. And the tuition reimbursement only applies toward hours worked during the semester, so a college student would pick-up an extra $150 (pre-tax, based on a 20-hour work week) per semester, which won't even cover a single credit hour around here.

As long as value menus continue to be big drivers, few fast food restaurants can afford to pay much more than minimum wage. Even the ones that can afford to don't. In Los Angeles, Carlos Jr. was advertising starting rates less than McD's, even though most Carlos Jr. in that region yield larger profits. But hey, at least the (free) food is better.

Last edited: