Satellite driver

youllbefine

Fill us in on what exactly that is?
A satellite route is one that is loaded in a small trailer and hauled behind a PC to a town where the other PC and waiting drive are! He then unloads the trailer into his truck does the route then brings pickups back trailer and first driver hooks up to trailer and heads back! Ups way to save miles

Just Lurking

I believe some satellite centers in the St. Louis area are in small buildings. Maybe someone out of Earth City or Jeff Ave will wonder in and clarify.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Is it always in a little trailer or are there remote facilities too?

Sent using BrownCafe App
Nope just a trailer they drop! Ups pays rent to leave the PC parked on someone's lot over night

Before the 1997 strike, we had a satellite center about 50 miles north. The hub (Hbg) would sort their work and a feeder ran it up. After the strike, we started hauling 5 or 6 TP-60's up to different spots to meet the drivers.

Allen Fair

We are a small center and have 5 satellite routes. I love them get to sleep in a little bit and get paid mileage to drive to the truck

youllbefine

I believe some satellite centers in the St. Louis area are in small buildings. Maybe someone out of Earth City or Jeff Ave will wonder in and clarify.
They are just bid routes no center no buildings just a truck sitting in a parking lot waiting for another drive to bring them their work for the day

Theking30

SHORTY
Your local should have an agreement. Just ask for a copy. Satellite routes have some good points and a lot of bad ones. If you are interesting in biding one be sure to talk to some one who has had one. You typically start 1 to 2 hours later which means 11 hour day is after 9 pm. Your pretty much on an island. No help, and you get screwed because your not there in the morning whining about your dispatch so everything gets shoveled your way.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
How long does it take to load/unload? Where do you turn in paperwork, COD, etc? How about truck maintenance?

youllbefine

Takes about an hour to load your PC ! You send paper work back with first driver that brought the trailer to you.. This same topic is listed under union discussion with some good replies go read them to learn more