Satellite Routes?

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Whoever told you that you have to take it is a dam liar, and their lying to you. Why would you even remotely think about taking a satellite route if its nowhere near where you live, that's just stupid really. Youll probably just have to bid cover if theres nothing to bid on, usually how it works if theres really nothing left to bid on. Just don't see why a driver who lives near that satellite route wouldn't take it. All seems odd really cause I don't see how they could force the other guy into taking the satellite route if he lives nowhere near the route. Id file a grievance if I were that dude.
Man I'd drive 50 miles to a route to never deal with managment again.

box_beeyotch

What is a satellite route? I don't think we have them in my center. Either that or around here we call them something different.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
If no one bids these routes they should never be able to hire off the street before bringing the routes back to the building. That is if their intent is to circumvent the hiring ratio in any way.

They were offered to part time after drivers all said no
Partimers didn't want it either

By The Book

Gotcha on the first couple of sentences, and you are correct comparing our center to the OP's ability to bid. All of our satellite centers have their stuff shuttled to them by one our swing drivers every morning.

As for the last part of your response, I have a feeling that you are right about the miles, wear and tear, and drive time. Because it has been like that for so many years, I think that UPS would win the argument as a past practice. When I say years, I'm talking like 25+ years that a driver has run that route and lived in the city where the satellite is based.
I bet it was a route he ran out of the building, then they made it a satellite route and he just happens to live there. Before satellite routes came to be they all ran out of the main centers. There's no past practice here for ups to win. They will bid the route when it is vacated.

gman042

Been around the block a few times
Back in '08, UPS tried to satellite a small valley about 50 miles from the servicing center. It contained 3 routes. In the three weeks that it operated as a satellite, the drivers did not get on road until nearly 1everday. Because they did not start sorting until noon, their 12 hours were not up until midnight.
Long story short. UPS was forced to pull the satellite back to servicing center but left 1 of the 3 as a satellite just to save face. 5 years later, that route was pulled back too.
Satellites are not cost effective. You have to figure the volume must be shuttled out. Miles are not saved. Just don't get the idea.
I just wonder whose brainchild satellite centers was. I know that guy that tried to install out local one was drummed out of IE.

Last edited:

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
In our area, the company cannot force a seniority driver to relocate or report to a different facility. Our vacation relief drivers are on the clock when they drive to the satellite centers.

Thebrownstreak

I will advise you to take it. Chances are you will be forced to take a satellite route anyways. Its part of the game. In our center the average time on a satellite route is min 2 years. Sometimes more. But we've had guys who passed up the sat routes only to be forced later to do a sat route, but in the mean time had their seniority jumped by a lower driver. Bite the bullet and take it

F

FrigidAdCorrector

What is a satellite route? I don't think we have them in my center. Either that or around here we call them something different.
It's where a driver starts at a remote location. In our center preload loads a trailer and puts his DIAD in the trailer. Another driver brings the trailer to location drops it, and then continues onto his route. The satellite driver then loads his PC and starts his route.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

It's where a driver starts at a remote location. In our center preload loads a trailer and puts his DIAD in the trailer. Another driver brings the trailer to location drops it, and then continues onto his route. The satellite driver then loads his PC and starts his route.

...he then puts his pickup pieces and DIAD in the trailer for the shuttle driver to bring back to the center...

box_beeyotch

Ahh I see. Yeah we dont have those in my building, which would explain. why I have no clue lol

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
Satellite driver swings by the trailer to drop off pickups, and then finishes deliveries and yesterday's DIAD.
I have been satellited for years.
Many times my DIAD goes back to the TP60 along with my pickups.

When I don't make the TP60 pull, I will take my break while driving home and drop it in a letter box.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
I have been satellited for years.
Many times my DIAD goes back to the TP60 along with my pickups.

When I don't make the TP60 pull, I will take my break while driving home and drop it in a letter box.

We always used two DIADs here. The guys pulling the trailers had to be back by 7:00 so the air could leave the building. That meant they had to be at the trailer by 5:30 to 6:00.

The satellite routes ran until 7:30 to 8:00 every day.

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank
We always used two DIADs here. The guys pulling the trailers had to be back by 7:00 so the air could leave the building. That meant they had to be at the trailer by 5:30 to 6:00.
Our satellites get shuttled by another PC then the shuttling driver starts his route. Our satellite guys start at 1030 t-friend and 0930 on Mondays. No tp-60 here.

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'

We also use two DIADS. Just more often than not mine makes it back everyday.