Scams

rod

Retired 22 years
I placed an ad in the local paper and a few other sites trying to sell my 2011 Harley Ultra Classic. Almost as soon as the ad hit I got a text from a guy wanting to know a couple of things about the bike. Did I buy it new? What was the least I would sell it for. I knocked 500 bucks off and immediately he responded he would take it. Now here is the catch. He said he was too busy to meet me and wanted to send me the funds by PayPal and have a truck pick it up. I texted him back that I was old school and would prefer to do business face to face. I told him I was retired and would bring the bike to him at his convenience. He kept insisting I do the PayPal thing. He even gave me a lecture on PayPal (I'm not that dumb-I have a PayPal account) but I said no that I would still wanted to do it my way. After that he disappeared. I know PayPal transactions are financially guaranteed but the whole thing with him not wanting to meet me turned me off. I assumed it was some kind of scam. Any thoughts?

Returntosender

I placed an ad in the local paper and a few other sites trying to sell my 2011 Harley Ultra Classic. Almost as soon as the ad hit I got a text from a guy wanting to know a couple of things about the bike. Did I buy it new? What was the least I would sell it for. I knocked 500 bucks off and immediately he responded he would take it. Now here is the catch. He said he was too busy to meet me and wanted to send me the funds by PayPal and have a truck pick it up. I texted him back that I was old school and would prefer to do business face to face. I told him I was retired and would bring the bike to him at his convenience. He kept insisting I do the PayPal thing. He even gave me a lecture on PayPal (I'm not that dumb-I have a PayPal account) but I said no that I would still wanted to do it my way. After that he disappeared. I know PayPal transactions are financially guaranteed but the whole thing with him not wanting to meet me turned me off. I assumed it was some kind of scam. Any thoughts?
Scam

Knothead

Yep.
Definitely a scam. This same type of thing has happened to me almost every time I have advertised a car for sale on the internet. I'm glad you didn't fall for it, and feel bad for the (probably) many that do.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
I stopped using my cell phone number on craigslist. I don't even give it out after emails. Inevitably, as soon as the other party gets my number, they disappear and I get weeks of scam phone calls. I even cancelled my paypal account after I dealt with their refund process. They informed me that a transaction was fraudulent, but when I went to get my money back, they made me go to great lengths to prove the transaction was fraudulent, even after I explained to them that they brought the matter to my attention first. Done with that company.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
Paypal is great for the buyer and crappy for the seller. They'll hold the funds and then he can file a claim that he never received delivery. You made the right choice gramps.

rod

Retired 22 years
Paypal is great for the buyer and crappy for the seller. They'll hold the funds and then he can file a claim that he never received delivery. You made the right choice gramps.

Seeing these responses I feel much better. I just had that gut feeling something wasn't right. I've used PayPal to buy many things and never had a problem but this was the first time I was trying to sell something. Now I have to go send some money to the IRS Collection Company before they send me to jail.:rolleyes:

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
6076AC31-B49E-474A-82FA-100291E0F441.png

Just a refresher for you because I’m sure you forgot what actual money looks like. Lol.