Scratch turns 55 - Life at UPS gets better

Catatonic

Nine Lives
There is something about turning 55 at UPS.
​The sword of Damocles disappears and a certain quietness of mind, one of serenity sets in.
Still have to do your job but the threat is gone.

Enjoy your future employment at UPS Scratch!

3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny
Oh to see the end of the misery. I'll have 30 in 5 more LONG yrs. Only 51. I just don't see it worth staying past. I say leave Ny will make up any. Loss in pension

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
LOL, I put in for an Option Day tomorrow and I told my supervisor Friday night that he might not ever see me again. It is a relief that as of tomorrow I can get my pension with no early penalties and draw health insurance. Right now I am going to try for August 2014 to get the most out of it.

​We have two guys in my building that are retiring in a couple of months, one of them is going to have his knees replaced right off the bat. Thats what bothers me the most with the way we are worked right now, I feel like I am just a replaceable piece of equipment with a dollar sign next to it. We have a few guys in their 60's in my Center, I can't figure out why they keep coming to work. If you can draw full pension and Social Security, I think that I could find something more enjoyable to do.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
It does relieve the stress, knowing I will have something to fall back on. I don't have nearly enough saved, and with 8 yrs pt, Its not nearly enough to live on. But some days, I think, what the hell. I can get a 10 dollar an hour job and with my pension be even enough. \
So enjoy from now on Scratch, knowing the chains you wear, you can unlock, LOL.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
We have a few guys in their 60's in my Center, I can't figure out why they keep coming to work. If you can draw full pension and Social Security, I think that I could find something more enjoyable to do.

Could be they don't know what to do with their time.
It would be better to keep working than to retire to an existence of breakfast, golf course, lunch, Judge Alex, Judge Judy and Judge Joe Brown, take a nap, eat supper, take a nap, watch O'Reilly and Hannity and off to bed.

There is something about turning 55 at UPS.
​The sword of Damocles disappears and a certain quietness of mind, one of serenity sets in.
Still have to do your job but the threat is gone.

Enjoy your future employment at UPS Scratch!
I head that once you hit this age all you shoot is dust.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I got the feeling that you are right about not knowing what to do with themselves. I might find something to do like work a couple of days a week or go back to doing volunteer work. I think that it is important to keep yourself busy doing something to keep a feeling of self-worth. Maybe I can find a good local instructor and take up photography or something:wink2:

Coldworld

60 months and counting
LOL, I put in for an Option Day tomorrow and I told my supervisor Friday night that he might not ever see me again. It is a relief that as of tomorrow I can get my pension with no early penalties and draw health insurance. Right now I am going to try for August 2014 to get the most out of it.

​We have two guys in my building that are retiring in a couple of months, one of them is going to have his knees replaced right off the bat. Thats what bothers me the most with the way we are worked right now, I feel like I am just a replaceable piece of equipment with a dollar sign next to it. We have a few guys in their 60's in my Center, I can't figure out why they keep coming to work. If you can draw full pension and Social Security, I think that I could find something more enjoyable to do.

It would be better to keep working than to retire to an existence of breakfast, golf course, lunch, Judge Alex, Judge Judy and Judge Joe Brown, take a nap, eat supper, take a nap, watch O'Reilly and Hannity and off to bed.

I think I read some where that judge Judy is one of the highest paid women on tv...except for oprah....I believe she is married to another judge that was on tv....its amazing those shows are so popular

purplesky

The knee and hip replacement thing seems to be more common in our bldg these days. If you can get out of UPS jail with your knees,hips, and back in decent shape that should be enough incentive to retire sooner than later.

There are alot of guys who are stuck working longer because of a divorce or for some reason THEY ARE PAYING THE FULL COLLEGE TUITION FOR THEIR KIDS.:sad-little: and working much longer than their old bodies should.

Scratch you are lucky. You now have your GET OUT OF UPS JAIL CARD.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
The knee and hip replacement thing seems to be more common in our bldg these days. If you can get out of UPS jail with your knees,hips, and back in decent shape that should be enough incentive to retire sooner than later.

There are alot of guys who are stuck working longer because of a divorce or for some reason THEY ARE PAYING THE FULL COLLEGE TUITION FOR THEIR KIDS.:sad-little: and working much longer than their old bodies should.

Scratch you are lucky. You now have your GET OUT OF UPS JAIL CARD.

I agree totally purple sky. I paid for my college, yes my parents co signed. But, you need to learn real young, life is tough, pay your own way. I helped mine when I could a grand here or there, but they bore the weight of the cost, and they appreciate it, and both make 2xs what I do. And I feel it is the best thing I ever did for them. When I retire and Im old and grey, I suspect they might help me here or there, but no matter, I can make it on my own, always have always will. And they can make it without my help which is a really big burden I see way too many carrying.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member

No, but they probably should be. I can think of a couple of them that fool around all the time. I guess they need the extra cash to do that.
I want to find out how they have energy to fool around. That to me would be better than retiring, the energy to fool around....not with others....you know what I mean.

pretender

Don't underrate the nap...

S

serenity now

I want to find out how they have energy to fool around. That to me would be better than retiring, the energy to fool around....not with others....you know what I mean.

No, we don't know what you mean .............

Do you want to keep talking or lawyer up? :wink2:

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
Biggups to the nap, nothing like a fatt nap for sure. I agree you mite get bored when you retire but like really dude who the hell is going to miss this job aka alcatraz. Anythings better than this nowadays. Yeah this jobs gotten to that point and i think many would agree.