Searching for Trailer mechanic daily duties/routine.

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
Trailer mechanics are paid 85% of power mechanics. Upside is that the hours of the day are way better and allow you to still live like a normal human being. When I was I that position, first item of business was to select and thoroughly pretrip a set of 28 footers to run to Denver. After that, it was all PMI and repairs. Start at 1pm and leave at 9:30.
...and a lot less stress than being a PC mechanic.

Ace2169

Our company is decent..we get similar benefits but at a premium. 401k,health care,dental,vision,life ins,ect.. Any changes in premiums will be notified in advance.

As far as Seniority goes. It dont mean poop here.. seniority gets me shift preference Thats it!. But if a possition opens at another location. Any one can Apply. The foreman in that shop will review your work orders. See if you are Worth taking in. Its based on Effort. You work hard you get what you ask for. Trailer guy can apply for power possitions. If he is worth it, he will be trained. Brown nosing gets u no where here.
Any changes in premiums are notified in advance. If we dont like it we know where the door is...
As far as pention goes. Never had one, dont know any one personally with one.. But ive heard many wonderful things about it. :)
Union beats non union for sure.. Which is one of the reasons why we're talking now.

Ace2169

...and a lot less stress than being a PC mechanic.
Tell me About it.... we get paid -10cents Less than the power guys.!! I feal so bad for them. Theyre doing rocker boxes, knocking out clutches in 5-6hrs, motor swaps. We all still manage to make quota. Everytime they ask me to move up to power. Im like "NOPE! Lol

I
In Mid Atlantic trailer guys start off at $19 an hour. Have a 1 year progession to top rate which is 85% of top rate. That would put trailer top rate at around 29.50.

Your years of experience will help you get the job, it will not effect your starting wage. Everyone starts at the starting wage. Mechanic here start at 21.92. So if you were under the Mid Atlantic Agreement you would start at 19.

I wish 1 year then top pay. I'm under the 4 year progression.

True. Automotive and PE full time =4 years.
With no ways around it. But you can work in the building 10 months and go to feeders and work "part time cover" 60 hours a week for 85% feeder pay and skip right over the first couple years of lower pay.

Gear

Parts on Order
True. Automotive and PE full time =4 years.
With no ways around it. But you can work in the building 10 months and go to feeders and work "part time cover" 60 hours a week for 85% feeder pay and skip right over the first couple years of lower pay.

Teamsters?

IAM (atleast around me)
PE and automotive-2year progression
Trailer mech-1 year progression

All mechs should be in IAM. I can see it being hard for 4 Teamster mechs voicing their opinions in a sea of 100 Teamster drivers. We basically get what Teamsters get, but we can fine tune things that directly effect us. Drivers have a 4 year progression and we have 2 years, but they dont even notice since we're in a different union. But I bet if we were in the same union they would notice.

Yes Teamsters. It's a drivers Union for sure. Seems like they could care less about shop issues. I haven't even heard of Iam other than on here. Not sure how many drivers are at our hub between package and feeders 700-800 maybe.

Teamsters?

IAM (atleast around me)
PE and automotive-2year progression
Trailer mech-1 year progression

All mechs should be in IAM. I can see it being hard for 4 Teamster mechs voicing their opinions in a sea of 100 Teamster drivers. We basically get what Teamsters get, but we can fine tune things that directly effect us. Drivers have a 4 year progression and we have 2 years, but they dont even notice since we're in a different union. But I bet if we were in the same union they would notice.
Forgot to hit quote

And like I said no loop holes to have more pay like for the drivers. We have to suffer the lower wages 4 years. They can go part time cover a month which is 60 hours a week at like 29 an hour then go full time at that rate for 4 years.