Seasonal hire - Now What

Brownwaternavy

I was hired from outside of the Center/Hub (off the street) in November as a Driver for the season. (I hoped to work it into a full time job post peak season).

As part of the hire process, I filled out the required paperwork to join the IBT Local here. My paycheck had the Local initiation fees and dues deducted in December and I have received numerous mailings from the IBT and Local (Including member card).

My question. As I was laid off at he end of December, what do I do about the month dues??

Thanks!

trickpony1

Call your local union office and have them mail a withdrawal card to you ASAP so you don't have to pay intiation fees again when/if you return to work.

local804

If you were hired in November, you actually were hired during the "freeze period" and should not be paying any union dues. Your union membership fees would start when you work 30 days in a 60 day period starting January 1 and no other time. This is actually how it is written in stone here but might be different depending on your local. I think the phone call to the local would be your best bet for sure.

lostintransit

I was hired from outside of the Center/Hub (off the street) in November as a Driver for the season. (I hoped to work it into a full time job post peak season).

As part of the hire process, I filled out the required paperwork to join the IBT Local here. My paycheck had the Local initiation fees and dues deducted in December and I have received numerous mailings from the IBT and Local (Including member card).

My question. As I was laid off at he end of December, what do I do about the month dues??

Thanks!

Last year my husband was called by his local and they told us that if we sent in 50 cents, on a 3x5 card with his name, SSN and termination date they would suspend his membership and not have it incur any new dues.

Brownwaternavy

Thanks for the responses. I will contact my Local and ask about withdrawal until rehired or if I was brought in during a "freeze period".
I will NOT be sending my SSN on a postcard thru the mail however...:tongue_sm

BTW, after working there for 7 weeks, I have a new appreciation for what it takes to be a UPS driver. :thumbup1: