Seasonal package handler - should I apply now or wait til after PEAK?

lowats

Well,

I have another contract-type office job on the line that pays me about 12/hr. However, I want to work for UPS as a package handler so I can take advantage of the educational assistance.

Should I wait until after Christmas season (late Jan - Feb) to apply to a permanent position?

I have read the FAQs and even tho you guys say that it's "more common" for handler to turn into something permanent because of high-turnover, it is still not a guarantee and I don't want to blow my chance with the other contract job.

What do you guys think??? BTW the hub I want to work for is in Doraville GA (I live 5 mins away from that hub, literally!!)

If your tuition reimbursement is run through EDCOR which mine is here in Indiana, u must fill out the form within 30 days of the semester beginning or u won't get any $ back...FYI so if u apply in Feb you won't get any reimbursement at all

If your tuition reimbursement is run through EDCOR which mine is here in Indiana, u must fill out the form within 30 days of the semester beginning or u won't get any $ back...FYI so if u apply in Feb you won't get any reimbursement at all

Hey thanks a lot for that info.

On their website UPS said they would "prorate" the tuition if apply mid-semester, do you know how that will work out as far as applying around Feb? Will I at least get half of the $2,650?

lowats

Hey thanks a lot for that info.

On their website UPS said they would "prorate" the tuition if apply mid-semester, do you know how that will work out as far as applying around Feb? Will I at least get half of the $2,650?

Idk, I've never seen that done here. As far as ik as of May (last time I used it) it was u make the deadline or u don't get anything. Also if u get 5200 or whatever the amount is they give it to u by year, so first semester will be 2600 then if u take summer school u can use it but they'll cap it at whatever the amount is. Also If u have any scholarships or grants that cover say for example 3/4 if your tuition & you personally only pay 1k, then ups is only gonna give u 1k...

MendozaJ

You run the risk of getting let go as a trainee during any season. Also consider the crazy hours during peak and how that will affect your studies. It will be a long slog until you start knocking days off your probation.

On the other hand, longer hours means OT and higher paychecks. If you can endure peak, you can handle anything UPS throws at you. You will lose a minimum 20 lbs. If you do experience the misfortune of getting cut, you can always reapply if you exit with a positive rehire status. If your goal is a permanent position, you will have to juggle peak and studies eventually, so why not find out if this is for you now.

I should also add that the benefits and perks of being a permanent p/t don't kick in for a year. In other words, wait until next year and you won't be getting paid for Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Year's while you bust your ass through your first peak.

Last edited:
You run the risk of getting let go as a trainee during any season. Also consider the crazy hours during peak and how that will affect your studies. It will be a long slog until you start knocking days off your probation.

On the other hand, longer hours means OT and higher paychecks. If you can endure peak, you can handle anything UPS throws at you. You will lose a minimum 20 lbs. If you do experience the misfortune of getting cut, you can always reapply if you exit with a positive rehire status. If your goal is a permanent position, you will have to juggle peak and studies eventually, so why not find out if this is for you now.

I should also add that the benefits and perks of being a permanent p/t don't kick in for a year. In other words, wait until next year and you won't be getting paid for Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Year's while you bust your ass through your first peak.

Thank you for the advice,

I am pretty fit so I think I can manage any physically demanding tasks throw at me. I would love to start earlier during PEAK tho again my main concern is being let go after Christmas. With the other contract job I am offered I can work full-time til summer 2016, and that helps me earn enough $ for school and other expense (even if i quit the contract job to go work for UPS part time in Feb.)

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
I'd personally do something that made more money than relying on a possible program from a possible PT job that may or may not be available during that time. The pay for PT work at UPS is on the low side, work requirement on the high side, being new won't guarantee you'll work every night. I'd imagine waiting tables or delivering pizza would give you more money to pay that 2k bill than the hassle of PT at UPS.

I'd personally do something that made more money than relying on a possible program from a possible PT job that may or may not be available during that time. The pay for PT work at UPS is on the low side, work requirement on the high side, being new won't guarantee you'll work every night. I'd imagine waiting tables or delivering pizza would give you more money to pay that 2k bill than the hassle of PT at UPS.

Yall pay around 10.5/hr eh? I think that's pretty decent.

J

jibbs

Tuition reimbursement for a seasonal?

I don't think that's a thing. Am I wrong about that? Anybody?

[EDIT:

huh...

"Eligibility begins the day you're hired and benefits are prorated accordingly in case you're hired mid–semester"

never mind me....]

J

jibbs

No it is NOT. That is why I was consulting you guys on whether I should take the seasonal job (in hope of it becomes permanent later,) or my contract job.

Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

Well....

Turning seasonal work at UPS into permanent work is far from a sure thing. I mean, it happens often, but there's plenty of seasonals that never become permanent hires.

It's a good way to get your foot in the door, it's just that, unfortunately, the company doesn't always let a seasonal actually step through that door.

Eh...

If I were in your shoes and unable to hold down both jobs, I'd honestly stick with the contract position.

SaladTosser

Kill me now
Think about why they are desperate to fill airport slots. The job must suck more then working in the hub for the same money or less and less hours and working outdoors on an airfield. The best part of working at the airport is less paid hours working outside in minus 20 temps this winter.

In my experience, the airport is the easiest place to work at ups. Yeah you gotta deal with rain or cold, but nobody looks miserable compared to the hub.

Thank you guys for all the helpful answers.

I have one last thing to ask tho: How much does UPS pay its part time package handler? :weird:

I have read the job description which states that "handlers would bring home 140 - 170" and "be expected to work 17 - 20 hours every week" which amount to only about 8.5/hr..

Does that sound about right? I know tax is already taken into account, which prob bring that figure to roughly 9.5/hr max (!?)

Box Ox

Thank you guys for all the helpful answers.

I have one last thing to ask tho: How much does UPS pay its part time package handler? :weird:

I have read the job description which states that "handlers would bring home 140 - 170" and "be expected to work 17 - 20 hours every week" which amount to only about 8.5/hr..

Does that sound about right? I know tax is already taken into account, which prob bring that figure to roughly 9.5/hr max (!?)

I think seasonal handlers at my center are getting $10.50 an hour. Holiday preload easily runs 7-10 hours a day depending on how close it is to Christmas. Preload outside the holiday season runs around 5 hours daily.

The 17-20 hours a week thing in the job posting is probably just shooting low on purpose.

NickyNik

Ooh, you will work every night at Pdale lol. They have been double shifting year around.

DennyHamlin

I had my second interview last week, in which I stressed that I was interested in education assistance to complete an assoc degree. I should be starting next week and was told that starting next semester (jan-may) I would receive a paycheck for 2500 at end of each semester. The program or degree has to be qualified. I also figure that even if your position is "seasonal" they will just let you go if you suck but ask you to stay if you don't. Show em your valuable to the team and they'll probably keep you. Especially if your'e interested in the education assistance that means your want to stick around, that has to be a plus with the high turnover rate I hear about.