Self-Quarantine

Boywondr

The truth never changes.
Just my two cents OP I think you really caught a break. Your union and center manager must have stepped up for you. Especially since you’re cheap labor. I bet if this exact situation happened at 100 different buildings not more then 5 would be given the OK to take a month off.

again shocking since you are cheap labor. UPS couldn’t care less about hourlies. They probably privately hope problem drivers drop dead. They are as cold hearted as they come. Good for you, but you caught a break. You owe the union and your center manager a thanks.
Not really.

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
If your wife is at risk you might be better off moving out and continuing to work until the bottom drops out.

At the very least you should have a place lined up where you can crash for a while after the time off. I think there is a good chance this stuff will still be hanging around in 4 weeks.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
The Feds will pay 100% of medical bills if you come down with Corona Virus. The other medical bills, good luck with that.

quad decade guy

If you made arrangements with
Mgt and there is an agreement,
then stay home. If not and you risk losing your job, what have you lost in just 9 months?

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
I made a family my decision look into self quarantine. I figured it would be cheaper to loose a month of pay than spend god knows how much if one of my family members got covid-19.
I asked my union steward about it and he referred me to my locals union president. I asked him if I could stay home and “self quarantine” because I have a significant other that has underlying medical conditions. They are also type A blood type which seems to be more susceptible to the virus. He made some calls and told me I had the right to self quarantine if I didn’t feel my work conditions weren’t safe(which a lot of you will agree ups isn’t doing a whole lot about PPE or sanitation). I brought it to my center manager and he made some calls and first it was “no we can’t agree to that”. He called me back an hour later telling me he contacted another person and they said it was ok.
When I stand back and think about it, I’m the one hurting here I’m taking time off without pay to not risk getting my family sick.
What do you guys think or has anyone else asked or looked into this.
How long you planning on being out because this ain't going away, certainly not in a month or two.

The supermarket is way more risky than any package car.

upsbeernut

Sometimes i feel like a nut sometimes i dont
I made a family my decision look into self quarantine. I figured it would be cheaper to loose a month of pay than spend god knows how much if one of my family members got covid-19.
I asked my union steward about it and he referred me to my locals union president. I asked him if I could stay home and “self quarantine” because I have a significant other that has underlying medical conditions. They are also type A blood type which seems to be more susceptible to the virus. He made some calls and told me I had the right to self quarantine if I didn’t feel my work conditions weren’t safe(which a lot of you will agree ups isn’t doing a whole lot about PPE or sanitation). I brought it to my center manager and he made some calls and first it was “no we can’t agree to that”. He called me back an hour later telling me he contacted another person and they said it was ok.
When I stand back and think about it, I’m the one hurting here I’m taking time off without pay to not risk getting my family sick.
What do you guys think or has anyone else asked or looked into this.
Take off, remember you would rather die for your country than for your company. You could bring it home, that's the tricky part of this virus. You could have it, no one knows. My wife takes 13 pills a day, shes very susceptible.

Box Ox

Are you sure?
I thought a Master's degree is required.

Yeah, he’s incorrect. I’ve had university professors who lacked a doctorate degree. Are their pay and advancement opportunities equivalent to that of a terminal degree holder? Definitely not.