Self-Quarantine

Farmhouse

I made a family my decision look into self quarantine. I figured it would be cheaper to loose a month of pay than spend god knows how much if one of my family members got covid-19.
I asked my union steward about it and he referred me to my locals union president. I asked him if I could stay home and “self quarantine” because I have a significant other that has underlying medical conditions. They are also type A blood type which seems to be more susceptible to the virus. He made some calls and told me I had the right to self quarantine if I didn’t feel my work conditions weren’t safe(which a lot of you will agree ups isn’t doing a whole lot about PPE or sanitation). I brought it to my center manager and he made some calls and first it was “no we can’t agree to that”. He called me back an hour later telling me he contacted another person and they said it was ok.
When I stand back and think about it, I’m the one hurting here I’m taking time off without pay to not risk getting my family sick.
What do you guys think or has anyone else asked or looked into this.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
I made a family my decision look into self quarantine. I figured it would be cheaper to loose a month of pay than spend god knows how much if one of my family members got covid-19.
I asked my union steward about it and he referred me to my locals union president. I asked him if I could stay home and “self quarantine” because I have a significant other that has underlying medical conditions. They are also type A blood type which seems to be more susceptible to the virus. He made some calls and told me I had the right to self quarantine if I didn’t feel my work conditions weren’t safe(which a lot of you will agree ups isn’t doing a whole lot about PPE or sanitation). I brought it to my center manager and he made some calls and first it was “no we can’t agree to that”. He called me back an hour later telling me he contacted another person and they said it was ok.
When I stand back and think about it, I’m the one hurting here I’m taking time off without pay to not risk getting my family sick.

who’s paying your insurance

Farmhouse

My insurance doesn’t go into affect until the end of this month will be my 9month mark under the new contract. I don’t have insurance right now anyways.
I asked about that as well the union president told me “when I do go back to work it will register In the system and it will go back into affect”.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star

Article 16 of the master, you have the right to request a leave of absence. But it is up to the discretion of UPS to grant it. You may also need to make arrangements for COBRA to keep your health insurance, depending on your regional or local language.

Edit: I replied before reading your post about your health insurance situation.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I can't blame you given your situation. If my wife had some sort of underlying medical condition that made her more susceptible I would consider doing the same thing.

ManInBrown

Good for you. Glad it worked out. Did you need to show proof that your significant other harps an underlying health condition?

Netsua 3:16

AND THAT’S THE BOTTOM LINE
Do you have a regular dr? I bet if you set up an appointment with him (a lot of places are doing video appointments right now) and explained the situation...dr should be able to get you a quarantine note if your wife has a condition that puts her at risk....would get you paid the emergency leave

ManInBrown

Just my two cents OP I think you really caught a break. Your union and center manager must have stepped up for you. Especially since you’re cheap labor. I bet if this exact situation happened at 100 different buildings not more then 5 would be given the OK to take a month off.

again shocking since you are cheap labor. UPS couldn’t care less about hourlies. They probably privately hope problem drivers drop dead. They are as cold hearted as they come. Good for you, but you caught a break. You owe the union and your center manager a thanks.